ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 8 of 469
« First < 45678 91011121858108 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official 2022 Royals Season Repository Thread***
ChiefsCountry 11:07 AM 01-01-2022
For all things Royals in 2022. #3 minor league system according to Baseball America. The Bobby Witt era should begin this year. Will Salvy still be the homerun king? How does the glut of infield players work out? Will the young pitchers take the next step?

Free Agents/Trades Acquisitions
Zack Greinke, P
Amir Garrett, P
Taylor Clarke, P

Top 10 Prospects from Baseball America
1. Bobby Witt, SS
2. Asa Lacy, P
3. MJ Melendez, C
4. Nick Pratto, 1B
5. Jackson Kowar, P
6. Kyle Isabel, OF
7. Frank Mozzicato, P
8. Ben Kudrna, P
9. Jonathan Bowlan, P
10. Vinnie Pasquantino, 1B

Duncan's Top Royals Prospects
Spoiler!

[Reply]
warpaint* 08:57 AM 02-10-2022
So what's a realistic expectation for the team this season?
[Reply]
kstater 09:29 AM 02-10-2022
Originally Posted by warpaint*:

Might be a game or few below, but .500 is a realistic expectation. More than a game or few below is a failure imo

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
[Reply]
dlphg9 12:39 PM 02-10-2022
If they lose more than 85ish games, then the season is a failure.
[Reply]
OKchiefs 12:52 PM 02-10-2022
Well since DM is no longer technically the "General Manager" he can deflect criticism for a while longer now.
[Reply]
ROYC75 12:54 PM 02-10-2022
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
I like Law's idea of moving Nick Loftin to CF full-time. Might as well get on with it and carve out some space for him.
I think it's a year too early, will most likely struggle with hitting. MT should be serviceable again this year!
[Reply]
ROYC75 12:59 PM 02-10-2022
Originally Posted by warpaint*:
Depends on the young pitching! If they come around and ball, plus if we can put together a good pen, it's not out of line to think we could contend for a WC spot. Anything more than that is well wishing! I agree, if we lose 85 games or more, it was a failed season.

Last year, we played contenders hard, very well and lost to the duds! Got to PU the bottom feeders if we want to move up!
[Reply]
dallaschiefsfan 05:59 PM 02-10-2022
Originally Posted by ROYC75:
I think it's a year too early, will most likely struggle with hitting. MT should be serviceable again this year!
I don't think that was his meaning. I think he means get him into CF this season and develop him as an outfielder in the minor leagues...so that he's ready to go as an outfielder when his bat is ready for the bigs. IOW, abandon SS for his future and just get moving on making him a potential CF of the future.
[Reply]
ROYC75 06:14 PM 02-10-2022
Originally Posted by dallaschiefsfan:
I don't think that was his meaning. I think he means get him into CF this season and develop him as an outfielder in the minor leagues...so that he's ready to go as an outfielder when his bat is ready for the bigs. IOW, abandon SS for his future and just get moving on making him a potential CF of the future.
Got it, my bad, I was wondering why duncan was so far ahead of things like this, it's not him. Makes sense now, I just misread his post and took it wrong!:-)
[Reply]
KChiefs1 10:07 AM 02-14-2022
https://www.royalsreview.com/2022/2/...or-this-season

Wishful Thinking:
Four things I am hoping for this season

By Jackson Bracken Feb 14, 2022

Originally Posted by :
Following a year of unbelievable ups and downs in 2021, I am a lot more optimistic heading into the next season. While the Royals didn’t make any big changes via free agency prior to the lockout, there is still plenty to look forward to. The team went 74-88 last season after having an 11-game losing streak and a 9-game losing streak (within a 4-21 stretch). Coming into the eventual 2022 season, the Royals’ starting pitchers (who have been the biggest problem area) now have another year under their belts and the highly anticipated hitting prospects will soon be called up.

This team should, at the very least, take the next baby step forward and begin to compete a little more next season. Below are the four things I am hoping for the most.

1. More production from third base:

In 2021, five different players started at least 20 games at third base. Combined, these fielders put together the most errors and lowest fielding percentage in the American League (25 and .942 respectively) and were also last or nearly last in several defensive run saved categories. This position was manned by Hunter Dozier, Kelvin Gutierrez, Hanser Alberto, Emmanuel Rivera, and Adalberto Mondesi last season, who all combined to hit .224/.273/.355 at the position, the second-worst OPS in the American League at third base. Neither the offense nor defense was good from third base last year. With the call-up of Bobby Witt Jr. looming, the question remains as to where he will be placed on the left side of the infield. If Bobby is slotted at third full time, then it would be safe to assume that many of these problems would go away. An eventual infield of Witt, Nicky Lopez, Whit Merrifield, and Nicky Pratto could not only have a chance to be special offensively, but defensively, the young pitchers couldn’t ask for more glove help.

2. Starting pitching improvement:

Out of the 111 games started by pitchers under 25 last season, the eight that pitched for the Royals - Brad Keller, Kris Bubic, Brady Singer, Daniel Lynch, Carlos Hernandez, Jackson Kowar, Jon Heasley, and Angel Zerpa - combined for a 5.11 ERA. A major league team will not go anywhere if starting pitching like this does not improve. I am hopeful for change in 2022, following the starters' turnaround in the late summer (where most of the teams’ quality starts began rolling in from) many more games resulted in the win column. Following a year of experience and adjustments (at least 10 games started for five of those eight pitchers), I expect several of them to take the leap and separate themselves from the pack with their performances. My picks for the most improvement year-over -year next season would be Daniel Lynch and Brad Keller.

3. Players meeting expectations in the first half:

Pre-All-Star break, the Royals had two players bottom four in the league in OPS (Dozier and Jorge Soler). Dozier was dead-last in the entire MLB in batting average in that stretch as well where he slashed .174/.242/.344 with a .586 OPS and Soler wasn’t too far behind him slashing .186/.279/.320 with a .599 OPS. Of course, players will fall into slumps and break out of them naturally throughout the season, but having these two players (who dominated in 2019) collapse for this long just snowballed the team’s losses in the first half. When the Royals already expected guys like Michael Taylor and Nicky Lopez to have a low OPS throughout the first half (#13 and #15 from the bottom pre-All-Star), the “heavy-hitters” can’t be dropping the ball like that. In 2022, the Royals must have fewer disappointments early in the season.

4. Quick rookie adjustments:.

By the time that Bobby Witt Jr., MJ Melendez, and Nick Pratto are all in the majors, in some way or another there will be many adjustments for each player to make. The sooner these players can adjust and meet expectations, the sooner the Royals head towards playoff contention again. The perfect example that I have used before is Wander Franco on the Rays. Wander looked great his first game out, slumped for a while, and looked rushed up, then once he got 100 at-bats in, a switch flipped, and he quickly became a leader on that Rays team. The sooner this transition happens for the young Royals the better, as our competitive window opens and closes with how well they perform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
KChiefs1 10:16 AM 02-14-2022
The Royals need a right fielder.

Hunter Dozier is not the answer, and neither is anyone else who has recently played right field for the Royals.

Right field could be filled with several viable options.

Option 1- Seiya Suzuki/Free agency
Several right-fielders could be signed by the Royals, Kyle Shwarber, Nicholas Castellanos, Nelson Cruz, and Jorge Soler to name a few; However, I believe Seiya Suzuki is the best option.

The biggest reason for signing Suzuki is the bat. Suzuki just obliterates baseballs. Suzuki will end his nine-year career in the NPD with a batting average of .309, an OBP of .402, an SLG of .541, and an OPS of .943 when he signs with an MLB team. No current Royals players are consistently producing like this. Suzuki would also solve the defensive woes plaguing the team, as he has won 3 gold gloves. Do not be worried that his game won't translate to the MLB. Scouts have repeatedly said he is a patient hitter who sits on fastballs, consistently putting home runs over the leftfield and centerfield fence. This is a good indicator that he will not falter to the high-speed fastballs we have seen other Japanese players fall victim to.

The one huge drawback is the price. Suzuki is seeking a five-year contract in the 7-10 million range; This is not a problem. Dayton Moore consistently spends 7-10 million on subpar baseball talent.

As we know, Moore spent 16.75 million on Mike Minor and Carlos Santana this past year. They both sucked. This year, if Dayton Moore can refrain from spending money on worthless free agents, then we should have enough money to sign a highly valued free agent.

Option 2-Adalberto Mondesi
With the emergence of Nicky Lopez, Mondesi has found himself on the outside looking in for the infield. Still, Mondesi is too talented of a player to not play consistently. Right field could be an option. Because of his athletic ability, he has the potential to be an above-average defender in right field. More importantly, it would allow him to focus on his bat, where his real value belongs.

Alex Gordon made a similar transition from the infield to the outfield. Although he suffered from different problems, he does show that this transition could be successful. Fernando Tatis also transitioned from shortstop to right field to help manage his injury. Right field could potentially help Mondesi with the injury issues he can not get rid of. Ultimately Mondesi needs to be in the lineup, and right field could be his way onto the field.

Option 3-Hunter Dozier
Hunter Dozier will be on next year's team, no matter how much we wish he was not. Keeping Dozier means we will also be keeping his 20 million price tag across the next three years. Since the organization is paying him that much, he will have to play consistently somewhere. Currently, the infield is set. Leftfield is set, and center field “appears” to be set. Leaving Dozier to play in right field. He is statistically terrible at every aspect of the game, so I hope a miracle prevents this scenario from happening. However, out of the three options, Dozier in right field has the highest chance of happening. The front office does not want to spend money. The front office also needs to play someone whom they drastically overpaid. Dozier in right field achieves both of those goals.

Seiya Suzuki could be the superstar the Royals have been lacking.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seiya_Suzuki

[Reply]
TLO 10:21 AM 02-14-2022
WE'RE GOING TO WIN THE WORLD SERIES!!!!!!
[Reply]
KChiefs1 11:04 AM 02-14-2022
https://youtu.be/-CKC3nvyuKM

[Reply]
KChiefs1 11:10 AM 02-14-2022
Royals Review:

Originally Posted by :
I’d send Pratto, Daniel Lynch and let’s say two other guys in the 7-13 range of team prospects to the Pirates for Bryan Reynolds and David Bednar. Bednar is honestly just a bit of an extra in the deal because I’m a big fan of his and would love to see the Royals get him, but Reynolds is the prize here. He’s a 27-year old switch hitting center fielder who has power, patience and can hit for average. The one thing the Royals system especially lacks is center field talent. It’s why they felt compelled to give Taylor an extra two years.

Yes, a middle infielder could move to the outfield and take to it well as so many have over the years or maybe Kyle Isbel could handle the spot for a couple seasons, but Reynolds is a legitimate difference-maker.
Originally Posted by :
We started with the three prospects, so we might as well end around them. Here’s a name for you: Nathan Webb. You will read much more about him soon. For now, know this: He is a Kansas City native who throws 100 mph and has a plus changeup. He also already has a World Series ring. Again, check back soon for so much more.
Originally Posted by :
Tally up all of his individual tools, and Witt’s scouting report might be the most loaded of any prospect going. He’s a plus runner and even earns some 70s from scouts. He shows legit plus-plus power in games, and while that’s rare for any position, it’s especially so for a defensively gifted shortstop. His special arm will be handy if the Royals roster necessitates a move to third base this summer. It wouldn’t be hard to imagine Witt in another life as a mobile quarterback roaming and firing all over the gridiron. Or maybe even as a kicker since his leg appears to be his sixth tool too.

[Reply]
BWillie 12:07 PM 02-14-2022
Originally Posted by KChiefs1:
Royals Review:

Oh hell yes. (Trading Pratto and Lynch if you can get Reynolds)

I'm not as high on Pratto as most people. Suspect hit tool. Huge whiffer. Great defender but wasted at 1B. Vinnie will hit better than Pratto anyway, and any difference in defense is small at 1B.
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 12:11 PM 02-14-2022
Originally Posted by BWillie:
Oh hell yes. (Trading Pratto and Lynch if you can get Reynolds)

I'm not as high on Pratto as most people. Suspect hit tool. Huge whiffer. Great defender but wasted at 1B. Vinnie will hit better than Pratto anyway, and any difference in defense is small at 1B.
Pratto will be an All-Star for multiple years from this scouting report.
[Reply]
Page 8 of 469
« First < 45678 91011121858108 > Last »
Up