ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 18 of 29
« First < 81415161718 1920212228 > Last »
Media Center>So....Dune 2020. Cool?
Amnorix 03:03 PM 08-19-2019
I learned today for the first time that a remake of the awesome book (and decidedly less awesome early 80s movie) Dune is being made, and is currently in post-production with a release date of December 18, 2020.

The cast includes many I don't know, but the ones I do know seem excellent for their roles. It's damn near a Marvel reunion...

Jason Mamoa as Duncan Idaho (the swordmaster of House Atreides)

Josh Brolin as Gurney Halleck (weaponsmaster of House Atreides, played memorably (and surprisingly) by Patrick Stewart in the original movie

Stellan Skarsgard as Baron Harkonnen

Dave Bautista (better known as Drax the Destroyer) as "Beast" Rabban, the nephew of Harkonnen

The most critical guy -- the one playing Paul is unknown to me. https://www.imdb.com/name/nm3154303/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t3

This film is also only going to cover the first half of the book, which is good. It's really not possible to cover the whole thing in one 2 or 3 hour movie.

Anyway -- I love the book and a really good film would be great. What say you about all this news? Or am I just the last to known (as would be typical, to be honest!)
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 05:36 PM 10-25-2021
Originally Posted by BWillie:
Why are the Harkonnens such assholes
the only time baron vladimir harkonnen got pussy in recent memory was when he had to rape that old bag that made paul put his hand in the box (i'm not going to tell you the result of this rape because it's a huge spoiler)

this act gave him a disease resulting in his appearance in the film

he's also an impotent gay pedophile who's own nephew tried to kill him

pretty sure you'd be an asshole too
[Reply]
keg in kc 05:58 PM 10-25-2021
Nothing set in stone yet, but it's looking really, really good for part 2. From what I've read on various sites, they went into the weekend with box office expectations hovering around 30 million, and got 35, and then another 1.9 million families/households watched the on HBO Max. Really, really positive numbers...
[Reply]
mr. tegu 06:05 PM 10-25-2021
How are earnings determined for views from HBO?
[Reply]
unlurking 06:21 PM 10-25-2021
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
Nothing set in stone yet, but it's looking really, really good for part 2. From what I've read on various sites, they went into the weekend with box office expectations hovering around 30 million, and got 35, and then another 1.9 million families/households watched the on HBO Max. Really, really positive numbers...
$41m opening weekend...
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/releas...?ref_=bo_hm_rd

Apparently that 1.9m Max viewers was also their highest day/date release too...
https://variety.com/vip/data-dune-op...ts-1235096964/
[Reply]
unlurking 06:22 PM 10-25-2021
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
How are earnings determined for views from HBO?
https://variety.com/vip/data-dune-op...ts-1235096964/
[Reply]
Baby Lee 06:58 PM 10-25-2021
Originally Posted by Frazod:
For anybody who is confused by something they saw in the movie, I have a suggestion.

READ THE BOOK.

Dune is widely regarded as one of the best science novels ever written. If you like science fiction and haven't read it, you're doing yourself a disservice.
Even less effort. . .

[Reply]
BWillie 09:20 AM 10-26-2021
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
Still don't get HBO Max, man. I love it but movie execs, actors and actresses have got to hate it. I would have shelled out $60 bucks this weekend to watch Dune in theaters. Instead my GF and a couple friends all watched it. They lost out on $120 bucks from my household alone.
[Reply]
Graystoke 09:22 AM 10-26-2021
Originally Posted by Frazod:
For anybody who is confused by something they saw in the movie, I have a suggestion.

READ THE BOOK.

Dune is widely regarded as one of the best science novels ever written. If you like science fiction and haven't read it, you're doing yourself a disservice.
This!
In my opinion it would be very difficult to go into this movie without the background knowledge from reading the novel.
That of course is a double edged sword because those of us who have read the novels are wondering why the F did they leave X, Y and Z out.
[Reply]
BWillie 09:42 AM 10-26-2021
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
the only time baron vladimir harkonnen got pussy in recent memory was when he had to rape that old bag that made paul put his hand in the box (i'm not going to tell you the result of this rape because it's a huge spoiler)

this act gave him a disease resulting in his appearance in the film

he's also an impotent gay pedophile who's own nephew tried to kill him

pretty sure you'd be an asshole too
ahhh so he ran out of boners
[Reply]
Baby Lee 10:51 AM 10-26-2021
Originally Posted by Graystoke:
This!
In my opinion it would be very difficult to go into this movie without the background knowledge from reading the novel.
That of course is a double edged sword because those of us who have read the novels are wondering why the F did they leave X, Y and Z out.
There is a reason this has long been notorious as among the most difficult of novels to film.

The prose is so detailed and flows so smoothly, that it really creates a world. But you can't put an entire world, a universe actually, on film.

Films are for narratives and visuals. Dune has a strong narrative, but it shines in world-building, the comprehensiveness of the detail, but those details are still subjective so everyone's visualization is unique, every detail has it's own gravity for the reader.

Digesting it at your own speed with your own imagination will always pale in comparison to someone else's vision, no matter how grand or well-pitched their vision.
[Reply]
burt 11:34 AM 10-26-2021
I haven't seen a movie in the theaters for 8+ years. I found a time that worked for me...and put it on my schedule. I was kind of shocked by the price but damnit, it was Dune!!! Until that movie, I had no idea what THX was. And that movie didn't need the help. I was glued!

Oh, and....your and idiot.

Originally Posted by Beethoven:
This movie was boring as shit.

[Reply]
unlurking 01:08 PM 10-26-2021
Up to 13th worldwide gross, China dropped ~$22M last weekend on it.
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/year/w..._=bo_nb_rl_tab

Looks like Part 2 is a go...
https://gizmodo.com/dune-part-2-is-o...023-1847938646

[Reply]
Fish 01:16 PM 10-26-2021
‘Dune’ Sequel Greenlighted By Legendary & Warner Bros; Pic Will Get Theatrical Window In October 2023

[Reply]
srvy 03:45 PM 10-26-2021
Hot damn cant wait. Hope this sparks a whole series of movies from Herberts Dune books.
[Reply]
Mennonite 03:51 PM 10-26-2021
I didn't think this was very good. Wrong choice in director and in lead actor. Stick with the book, imo.
[Reply]
Page 18 of 29
« First < 81415161718 1920212228 > Last »
Up