ChiefsPlanet Mobile
View Poll Results: What 2 teams should the B12 add...?
Air Force 9 9.09%
BYU 32 32.32%
Boise State 24 24.24%
Cincinnati 32 32.32%
Colorado State University 18 18.18%
EbolAIDS 15 15.15%
Houston 23 23.23%
Marshall 5 5.05%
Memphis 16 16.16%
New Mexico 3 3.03%
SMU 7 7.07%
University of Central Florida 18 18.18%
University of Connecticut 6 6.06%
University of South Florida 8 8.08%
Other (List) 8 8.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll
Page 3 of 37
< 123 456713 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Conference Realignment Spin-off: Who should the B12 add...?
Mr_Tomahawk 02:04 PM 12-07-2014
The BigXII shot itself in the foot yesterday with the round-robin setup. 4 of the 5 P5 conferences have a championship game. The higher seed in each of those games got into the playoffs...whether those are the 4 top teams or not. I don't think FSU or OSU are a top 4 team...but that's for another thread.

The Big12 is going to be relying on the lower seed to win one of these championship games from her on out if they choose not to have a B12 CCG. IMO, that isn't a good way to get your conference represented in the playoffs...
The round-robin is cute...but until they expand to 8 teams. The B12 could find themselves in this situation more often than Not.

The Baylor vs KSU was the championship argument is flawed as is the B12 could have had 2 teams in the playoffs...

So....to get the B12 back to....12 teams, what two teams would you add?

Poll to come...
[Reply]
Bambi 09:44 PM 12-07-2014
The Big 12 is not going to give up millions just to get an easier path to the NC.

It's a strange way of looking at things but it's the truth.

None of these shitty teams will be added.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 09:58 PM 12-07-2014
Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk:
I don't really care....not a penny of that is going into my pocket.

I want to see a CGG again...the way it should be.
You want to go back to 8 league football games? You want to bring in opponents we have zero history with that nobody cares about? Playing Boise in October gives you a raging hard on?

You want to bring in trashy basketball programs we will have to smash a few times a year at the expense of playing 4 against Texas/OU/Baylor/OSU? So Baylor could've beaten KSU last night in Dallas?

Sorry but that's crazy.
[Reply]
Mr_Tomahawk 10:06 PM 12-07-2014
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch:
You want to go back to 8 league football games? You want to bring in opponents we have zero history with that nobody cares about? Playing Boise in October gives you a raging hard on?

You want to bring in trashy basketball programs we will have to smash a few times a year at the expense of playing 4 against Texas/OU/Baylor/OSU? So Baylor could've beaten KSU last night in Dallas?

Sorry but that's crazy.
Every P5 has shitty football/basketball teams.

B12 has KU Football and TCU basketball... Bringing in Memphis and UCF isn't going to bring in a program worse than either of those.
[Reply]
Bambi 10:17 PM 12-07-2014
Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk:
Every P5 has shitty football/basketball teams.

B12 has KU Football and TCU basketball... Bringing in Memphis and UCF isn't going to bring in a program worse than either of those.
I agree with PB on this one. The sport that matters to us we will compete in every year anyway.

The college football world is built by a group of absolute crazy people who have completely lost what is important about collegiate athletics.

Do I want KU to compete in football with these idiots? Sure, but that's mostly because I like to get drunk on Saturday afternoons and watch guys knock each other around and yell at the opposing fans that we're playing that day.

The teams that were chosen for this playoff had nothing to do with Championship games, or records....or even who they beat. It was all about the name on the front of the jersey and although both TCU and Baylor are most likely better than at least two of the teams playing in this "playoff" it never really mattered.

Did some of us miss this fact over the past few weeks? Perhaps. Do you really think that if Baylor and TCU played a Championship Game last Saturday they would have gotten in over OSU?

Baylor has an enrollment of 10k. Ohio State is closer to 60k. College Football will never be settled on the field. It never has. It's not basketball where everyone is given a fair shake throughout the season.

Don't let the emotion of this dog and pony show that they're calling a playoff change what you love about college football. Playing everyone every year is something to be valued and with the amount TV networks are willing to pay us to do it just makes smart business sense.

Moving into the future shouldn't include one single team on this list. I'm not saying the Big 12 should just close their eyes to all that is around them but what they need to do now is be smart... Adding a bunch of random teams to get some kind of cock-eyed CG isn't it.
[Reply]
Saul Good 10:44 PM 12-07-2014
Originally Posted by Bambi:
The Big 12 is not going to give up millions just to get an easier path to the NC.

It's a strange way of looking at things but it's the truth.

None of these shitty teams will be added.
Wow. Pretty damning indictment of the conference.
[Reply]
Bambi 10:47 PM 12-07-2014
Originally Posted by Saul Good:
Wow. Pretty damning indictment of the conference.
You're a fan of a school that was added because the population of your state made a television network more viable.

Pretty damning indictment of the conference.
[Reply]
Saul Good 10:49 PM 12-07-2014
The Big 12 should add Cincy and Memphis. Good markets, ties the footprint together some, good basketball, recent success in football, Memphis has a mega-booster, and both have the potential to improve with the backing of a major conference behind them.

Should have grabbed Louisville and one of these two when they had the chance...
[Reply]
Saul Good 10:50 PM 12-07-2014
You're a fan of a school that was added because the population of your state made a television network more viable.

Pretty damning indictment of the conference.
Are you talking about the conference with the number 1 team in football, the number 1 team in basketball, and the National Champions in baseball?
[Reply]
Bambi 10:52 PM 12-07-2014
Originally Posted by Saul Good:
Are you talking about the conference with the number 1 team in football, the number 1 team in basketball, and the National Champions in baseball?
Florida State and UConn aren't in the same conference.

I couldn't tell you who won baseball. Cal State Fullerton?
[Reply]
Chiefspants 11:03 PM 12-07-2014
Expansion is absolutely essential to the long term vitality of the Big 12, and I struggle to see a legitimate argument to the contrary.

Bambi and PB are ignoring the fact that the SEC actually had a down year. Most years, the SEC is going to force two teams into the four team playoff. Had the playoff started last year, we'd be looking at the 2nd year in a row where the Big 12 missed out on making it in. Say what you want about the SEC, but it's undeniable that they're going to get the benefit of the doubt most years, a respect that anyone in the Big 12 not named Texas or Oklahoma does not have on the national level.

Those saying we should stay put are looking at the conferences future over the next 10 years, rather than the next 50. If the Big 12 begins to miss the playoff with regularity (something that could easily happen), look for Texas and Oklahoma to bolt to the Pac 12 the instant the GOR expires. This will destroy the Big 12. End of story.

Lastly, I think people are not fully appreciating how a round robin schedule puts Big 12 teams at an inherent disadvantage. Teams in the SEC and the Big 10 receive a major advantage by missing four of the (power) teams inside the conference, this allows teams like 2012 Florida to earn a BCS bowl without playing the CCG, (and if we want to reach further back, KU in 2007). Round robins have the dual disadvantage of ensuring that the Big 12's best teams absolutely pound each other while also taking away a non-conference game that could bolster the Big 12's team standing in January.

It's true, none of these teams would be "sexy" additions (for that matter, Louisville wouldn't have been either), but the clock's ticking on the Big 12's GOR, and if the SEC bounces back next year, the future of a 10-team big 12 could be in serious trouble.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 11:37 PM 12-07-2014
The issue I'm responding to was tomahawks wish to see a football title game. I think the problems that brings for a KU fan are clearly bigger than any benefits. We won't be playing in that game often if ever.....and we have to sacrifice games vs teams we know (who are mostly good) for potential crap.

Money isn't a big concern of mine but taking less to feed starving welfare cases like Cinci or Memphis or whomever isn't appealing at all. Louisville and BYU? Sure, good adds and appealing hoops matchups. That's what KU fans should want, not utter trash like Boise or UCF. What's in it for us? Lousivilles gone anyway.

At any rate they aren't adding members, there's nothing worth adding. This is all moot
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 11:42 PM 12-07-2014
I agree with PB on this one. The sport that matters to us we will compete in every year anyway.

The college football world is built by a group of absolute crazy people who have completely lost what is important about collegiate athletics.

Do I want KU to compete in football with these idiots? Sure, but that's mostly because I like to get drunk on Saturday afternoons and watch guys knock each other around and yell at the opposing fans that we're playing that day.

The teams that were chosen for this playoff had nothing to do with Championship games, or records....or even who they beat. It was all about the name on the front of the jersey and although both TCU and Baylor are most likely better than at least two of the teams playing in this "playoff" it never really mattered.

Did some of us miss this fact over the past few weeks? Perhaps. Do you really think that if Baylor and TCU played a Championship Game last Saturday they would have gotten in over OSU?

Baylor has an enrollment of 10k. Ohio State is closer to 60k. College Football will never be settled on the field. It never has. It's not basketball where everyone is given a fair shake throughout the season.

Don't let the emotion of this dog and pony show that they're calling a playoff change what you love about college football. Playing everyone every year is something to be valued and with the amount TV networks are willing to pay us to do it just makes smart business sense.

Moving into the future shouldn't include one single team on this list. I'm not saying the Big 12 should just close their eyes to all that is around them but what they need to do now is be smart... Adding a bunch of random teams to get some kind of cock-eyed CG isn't it.

This, all of it.

Can't believe any KU fan would ever care about the league winning a title. That's what loser fan bases do because its all they have. Baylor winning football means nothing to me in the least. I think TCU belonged but im not emotionally scared. And I root against Texas and OU nearly all the time as it is
[Reply]
GloucesterChief 11:45 PM 12-07-2014
Originally Posted by Chiefspants:
Expansion is absolutely essential to the long term vitality of the Big 12, and I struggle to see a legitimate argument to the contrary.

Bambi and PB are ignoring the fact that the SEC actually had a down year. Most years, the SEC is going to force two teams into the four team playoff. Had the playoff started last year, we'd be looking at the 2nd year in a row where the Big 12 missed out on making it in. Say what you want about the SEC, but it's undeniable that they're going to get the benefit of the doubt most years, a respect that anyone in the Big 12 not named Texas or Oklahoma does not have on the national level.

Those saying we should stay put are looking at the conferences future over the next 10 years, rather than the next 50. If the Big 12 begins to miss the playoff with regularity (something that could easily happen), look for Texas and Oklahoma to bolt to the Pac 12 the instant the GOR expires. This will destroy the Big 12. End of story.

Lastly, I think people are not fully appreciating how a round robin schedule puts Big 12 teams at an inherent disadvantage. Teams in the SEC and the Big 10 receive a major advantage by missing four of the (power) teams inside the conference, this allows teams like 2012 Florida to earn a BCS bowl without playing the CCG, (and if we want to reach further back, KU in 2007). Round robins have the dual disadvantage of ensuring that the Big 12's best teams absolutely pound each other while also taking away a non-conference game that could bolster the Big 12's team standing in January.

It's true, none of these teams would be "sexy" additions (for that matter, Louisville wouldn't have been either), but the clock's ticking on the Big 12's GOR, and if the SEC bounces back next year, the future of a 10-team big 12 could be in serious trouble.
Pac -12 would take OU, Texas, and two others out of Okie St, Texas Tech, Baylor, or TCU. The Pac 12 also plays 9 conference games. Going to 16 teams means that it will either be a 7-2 or 6-3 division schedule. I would guess 6-3 because the Cali schools would want to play in Texas often and vice versa.
[Reply]
WilliamTheIrish 02:13 AM 12-08-2014
Originally Posted by GloucesterChief:
Pac -12 would take OU, Texas, and two others out of Okie St, Texas Tech, Baylor, or TCU. The Pac 12 also plays 9 conference games. Going to 16 teams means that it will either be a 7-2 or 6-3 division schedule. I would guess 6-3 because the Cali schools would want to play in Texas often and vice versa.
The PAC doesn't want UT. Or OU.
[Reply]
Saul Good 08:29 AM 12-08-2014
Originally Posted by WilliamTheIrish:
The PAC doesn't want UT. Or OU.
I don't understand why anyone would unless it was the only way the league could stay afloat financially. On Shaggybevo, there are all kind of threads talking about moving to the PAC. They invariably turn to discussions on how the league can be configured so that they wouldn't lose any of their influence over the conference compared to what they have in the Big 12.

The Longhorns are like locusts.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 37
< 123 456713 > Last »
Up