ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 24 of 32
« First < 142021222324 25262728 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Nzoner [and the Mrs]
stevieray 12:57 PM 04-25-2021
Original OP about Nzoner's heart attack last spring is archived here.

Spoiler!

Latest on Kathy:

Originally Posted by Bugeater:
Well, coming out of the weekend, 3 straight days of bad news had me feeling like it was time to prepare for the worst. Thankfully, she proved me wrong, and it seems like things have stabilized for the moment. Her critical care Dr did say her lungs were sounding better as of yesterday, so that's a positive. However, it also sounds like he made it clear that she has a long road to recovery in front of her. But at least there's a shred of hope to cling to for the time being, I'll take it and be grateful for it.
Okay, didn't take too much investigation to learn that meals are an issue for him. So here's my plan:

I am going down on Sunday to visit with him and watch the game. The Mrs and I will to do some grocery shopping prior to that and possibly prepare some meals for him as well for me to deliver to him.

Here's how you can help:

I need food ideas: After his heart issues earlier this year, he is on a heart healthy diet. Low fat and low sodium. This is a bit out of my wheelhouse so if anyone has suggestions for food or meals, please post them here. Please keep meal suggestions simple, we're willing to spend some time preparing things but we can't spend 4 hours making a heart healthy version of Duck a l'orange.

You can donate: If you want to kick in some money to help cover grocery costs I certainly will welcome that. PM me for details. For transparency's sake I will post a list of donors in this thread, but you can remain anonymous if you wish. I will also provide photos of what I buy plus receipts so there's no questions about where your money went.

I do have a couple other ideas I am pursuing as well, just need to figure out if there's a way to bring them to fruition. More on that later.

[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 08:10 PM 11-10-2021
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Eh, sometimes it's less about the money and more about just not having to figure shit out. Either way, we can make it happen.
^this^ count me in if we get direction...
[Reply]
HemiEd 08:13 PM 11-10-2021
Okay, didn't take too much investigation to learn that meals are an issue for him. So here's my plan:

I am going down on Sunday to visit with him and watch the game. The Mrs and I will to do some grocery shopping prior to that and possibly prepare some meals for him as well for me to deliver to him.

Here's how you can help:

I need food ideas: After his heart issues earlier this year, he is on a heart healthy diet. Low fat and low sodium. This is a bit out of my wheelhouse so if anyone has suggestions for food or meals, please post them here. Please keep meal suggestions simple, we're willing to spend some time preparing things but we can't spend 4 hours making a heart healthy version of Duck a l'orange.

You can donate: If you want to kick in some money to help cover grocery costs I certainly will welcome that. PM me for details. For transparency's sake I will post a list of donors in this thread, but you can remain anonymous if you wish. I will also provide photos of what I buy plus receipts so there's no questions about where your money went.

I do have a couple other ideas I am pursuing as well, just need to figure out if there's a way to bring them to fruition. More on that later.
This takes me back to my first meeting with the dietician, after my first four stints in 2007.
She said, 8 ozs. of red meat a week and I freaked out. I told her I had more than that every day for lunch. She calmly said, and look where that got you, 95% blocked in four arteries.

Oh and pork is red meat no matter what they tell you.

You can eat all the green stuff you want, the more the better. The less animal products, the better. Fish twice a week and catfish don't count as fish.

Eating out means mega sodium, whether it is fast food or a restaurant. Four cups of veggies and 2 cups of fruit per day. Enriched carbs are to be avoided.

Hope this helps, just some general guidelines.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 08:21 PM 11-10-2021
Doesn't he live in the St. Joseph area? Pyro Joes?
I ask because sure that town is large enough to have delivery services for food and such. Surely it would have cleaning companies that could come out however often and do whatever needs to be done???
[Reply]
KS Smitty 08:36 PM 11-10-2021
In for whatever they need.
[Reply]
Bugeater 08:39 PM 11-10-2021
Originally Posted by luv:
I was just thinking about meals like a lasagna he could freeze and pop in the oven. Leftovers on that for a few days. I know Joe isn't 100%, so cleaning, laundry, errand running may be difficult. There are several companies down here that provide such services that don't fall under health care.
I'm actually trying to summon someone locally to check into that sort of thing.
[Reply]
Bugeater 08:43 PM 11-10-2021
Originally Posted by DaFace:
I'm in for however you think it will work best, but would a meal delivery be a little more sustainable in the long run? I guess I'm not sure they deliver everywhere, but Sunbasket does fully-prepared meals (just pop them in the microwave), so that could be an option. They run maybe $14/meal, so it's not dirt cheap, but they're a hell of a lot better than frozen dinners and far less packed with salt.

Googling around, I also see a place called Mom's Meals, which has a low-sodium menu. More like $7/meal, so I'd guess it'll be a little lower quality, but it's another option.

Either way, PM on the way.
This is a definite possibility should this drag on long enough. I think he's a bit limited on freezer space so I can only bring him so much at a time. But honestly, I wouldn't have a problem making a weekly trip if necessary.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 09:10 PM 11-10-2021
This is a definite possibility should this drag on long enough. I think he's a bit limited on freezer space so I can only bring him so much at a time. But honestly, I wouldn't have a problem making a weekly trip if necessary.
Need a second round of funding, let us know.
[Reply]
Ming the Merciless 09:14 PM 11-10-2021
I would be willing to throw down on it. Let me know .
[Reply]
mlyonsd 09:16 PM 11-10-2021
Originally Posted by luv:
I was just thinking about meals like a lasagna he could freeze and pop in the oven. Leftovers on that for a few days. I know Joe isn't 100%, so cleaning, laundry, errand running may be difficult. There are several companies down here that provide such services that don't fall under health care.
Especially like the laundry service idea. One tedious time consuming task they wouldn't have to worry about.
[Reply]
Bearcat 09:19 PM 11-10-2021
$900 in an hour... this place is awesome.
[Reply]
ptlyon 09:20 PM 11-10-2021
TIFFANY!
[Reply]
Raiderhater 09:23 PM 11-10-2021
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
$900 in an hour... this place is awesome.
All of the bickering and feuding notwithstanding, when it comes down to it we take care of our own.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 09:41 PM 11-10-2021
Where can we donate?
[Reply]
DaFace 09:42 PM 11-10-2021
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
Where can we donate?
PM Bugs
[Reply]
DaFace 09:45 PM 11-10-2021
To clarify a bit, Sunbasket is fresh, not frozen. The concept is that he could pick what he wants each week and then eat them each day. They're shipped in a cooler box and last about a week. Or if he's up for cooking, they sell meal kits too.

Just an idea though.
[Reply]
Page 24 of 32
« First < 142021222324 25262728 > Last »
Up