ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 16 of 22
« First < 61213141516 17181920 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Do you take your hat off at the dinner table?
petegz28 09:11 PM 07-31-2021
It never ceases to amaze me when I go to a fairly nice or better restaurant to see guys wearing their hats at the table. I am not talking about some dude at lunch at McDonald's. I'm talking about a nice steak house or likewise having dinner with the family.

When I was growing up I was taught to take my hat off in the house but if I ever sat at the table with it on it would have been removed for me.

And if I tried to walk into my Grandmother's house, especially the kitchen, the hat was removed for me without me being asked to take it off.

Do you take your hat off at the table?
[Reply]
eDave 06:04 PM 08-01-2021
Originally Posted by vailpass:
If they’re seated at table and their grand parents enter, absolutely. They stand to welcome them until they are seated. It’s how it’s always been in my family. You find something wrong with that?
I'll also stand if my lady stands to go to the ladies room. And stand again upon her return. And the chair thing. Never heard of the old folks thing but I think i've done that instinctively.
[Reply]
cosmo20002 06:08 PM 08-01-2021
If they’re seated at table and their grand parents enter, absolutely. They stand to welcome them until they are seated. It’s how it’s always been in my family. You find something wrong with that?
There's nothing wrong with what you just described. But your original statement was "stand up when an elder enters the area." I simply found it hard to believe that you actually enforced such a rule, which would include you walking into a room.
[Reply]
vailpass 06:08 PM 08-01-2021
Originally Posted by eDave:
I'll also stand if my lady stands to go to the ladies room. And stand again upon her return. And the chair thing. Never heard of the old folks thing but I think i've done that instinctively.
Then you’ve been taught Gentleman 101. It’s not a hard course.
[Reply]
ping2000 06:09 PM 08-01-2021
Rather see a hat on than flip flops.
[Reply]
vailpass 06:11 PM 08-01-2021
Originally Posted by cosmo20002:
There's nothing wrong with what you just described. But your original statement was "stand up when an elder enters the area." I simply found it hard to believe that you actually enforced such a rule.
Like my parents before me, I’ve worked to instill respect for women and their elders into my boys. As you may know, raising kids is not easy and teaching respect from the jump is important. Not sure why you’re mocking me on this one.
[Reply]
Raiderhater 06:11 PM 08-01-2021
Originally Posted by ping2000:
I cannot disagree with this position.
[Reply]
eDave 06:12 PM 08-01-2021
Then you’ve been taught Gentleman 101. It’s not a hard course.
Parents were southerners. Tennessee. Mom never lost her accent.
[Reply]
petegz28 06:12 PM 08-01-2021
Originally Posted by ping2000:
The entire flip-flop thing is something I have never understood, Especially with jeans. I am not talking about women wearing sandals but dudes wearing flip-flops with jeans or shorts for that matter, and they have yet to discover personal hygiene. Like a pair of nail clippers.
[Reply]
Bearcat 06:13 PM 08-01-2021
Originally Posted by petegz28:
I work in IT and work with people that wear jeans 5 days a week. I usually wear slacks and a collared shirt at least 3 days a week. On the days I wear jeans I still wear a collared shirt and I do not wear sneakers. I also shower and shave every day as well which I wish more would do. Especially the shower part.
My first IT job was 2nd shift, so I'd show up at like 3 in the afternoon in khakis and a decent shirt, just for everyone except a few people leave ~1.5-2 hours later. Also worked weekends, so the few of us would wear jeans/t-shirt on those days.

It was a call center, so no face-to-face or anything like that.... after a while, I started sprinkling in black jeans instead of slacks and would still wear a collared shirt, and eventually went to jeans basically everyday.

It wasn't breaking any kind of dress code, but a couple of people who were more comfortable dressing up (one guy usually came in with a sports coat or some kind of jacket) got kind of butthurt about it, like I was trying to make up my own rules.

Guess I just never got that... I was there to do a job over the phone, not impress coworkers. These days, I have dressed up from time to time for presentations and what not and I get there can be a confidence that comes from that, but would rather be comfortable. I play the game whenever I'm meeting customers face to face and get part of that can be first impression, but meh... :-)

BUT YEAH, 100% on the showering part... that's gross.
[Reply]
Bearcat 06:14 PM 08-01-2021
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
I work IT and most days I do not wear pants or a shirt
WFH is great.

...wait, you do work from home, right?
[Reply]
eDave 06:15 PM 08-01-2021
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
WFH is great.

...wait, you do work from home, right?
It's one piece of advice I always give new WAH people. Make sure you get dressed for work.
[Reply]
cosmo20002 06:16 PM 08-01-2021
Originally Posted by eDave:
That just seems very outdated and weird.
If you're in a booth and she gets up, you slide yourself out so you can stand as she stands, and you slide yourself out again as you see her returning?
[Reply]
petegz28 06:17 PM 08-01-2021
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
My first IT job was 2nd shift, so I'd show up at like 3 in the afternoon in khakis and a decent shirt, just for everyone except a few people leave ~1.5-2 hours later. Also worked weekends, so the few of us would wear jeans/t-shirt on those days.

It was a call center, so no face-to-face or anything like that.... after a while, I started sprinkling in black jeans instead of slacks and would still wear a collared shirt, and eventually went to jeans basically everyday.

It wasn't breaking any kind of dress code, but a couple of people who were more comfortable dressing up (one guy usually came in with a sports coat or some kind of jacket) got kind of butthurt about it, like I was trying to make up my own rules.

Guess I just never got that... I was there to do a job over the phone, not impress coworkers. These days, I have dressed up from time to time for presentations and what not and I get there can be a confidence that comes from that, but would rather be comfortable. I play the game whenever I'm meeting customers face to face and get part of that can be first impression, but meh... :-)

BUT YEAH, 100% on the showering part... that's gross.
I used to support call centers and would watch people come in with their slippers and blankets. Literally. There is a phrase one of the more successful managers used to have for his staff, you dress professional then you act professional.

He wasn't wrong.
[Reply]
eDave 06:17 PM 08-01-2021
Originally Posted by cosmo20002:
That just seems very outdated and weird.
If you're in a booth and she gets up, you slide yourself out so you can stand as she stands, and you slide yourself out again as you see her returning?
When I'm in the a booth with my lady, we are side by side with me on the outside. Not really a booth guy.
[Reply]
ping2000 06:17 PM 08-01-2021
Originally Posted by petegz28:
The entire flip-flop thing is something I have never understood, Especially with jeans. I am not talking about women wearing sandals but dudes wearing flip-flops with jeans or shorts for that matter, and they have yet to discover personal hygiene. Like a pair of nail clippers.
Seeing guys in flip flops walk into the can after a Chiefs game knowing there is a sea of pee on the floor. Do they boil their feet when they get home? Nasty.
[Reply]
Page 16 of 22
« First < 61213141516 17181920 > Last »
Up