ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 11
< 12 3456 > Last »
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>I am not a fan of Veach's "tier" approach.
The Franchise 09:24 AM 05-02-2021
I was meh on the Bolton and Kaindoh picks the day of the draft but even I can see why they were taken. Hitchens is gone after this year now and I’m happy that he will be. Kaindoh is much better against the run and I think he has some upside in zone coverage.

Kaindoh is all about measurables and if Daly can unlock the potential. We all freaked out when they took Danna and he wasn’t dog shit at least. I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt when it comes to an athletic freak at DE.

I would have liked to have seen Marshall or Basham at 58 but Marshall’s medicals obviously were a factor and Basham, I think, was an afterthought after the Reed signing. They want a DE...not a DE that they have to move inside on pass rush downs. We already have three pass rushing DTs now.

You can bet that DE is the first round pick next year for sure.
[Reply]
Direckshun 09:28 AM 05-02-2021
I actually think Danna will be a good rotational DE. Same with Taco. And, by Year 2, I feel the same about Kaindoh.

But we need a starter. We do not have a DE2, and we passed on several plum candidates to take Bolton and Humphrey.

At least Humphrey is going to make a Pro Bowl. Bolton’s going to be fine.
[Reply]
The Franchise 09:29 AM 05-02-2021
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
I actually think Danna will be a good rotational DE. Same with Taco. And, by Year 2, I feel the same about Kaindoh.

But we need a starter. We do not have a DE2, and we passed on several plum candidates to take Bolton and Humphrey.

Who? Basham?
[Reply]
Direckshun 01:16 PM 05-03-2021
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Who? Basham?
Ronnie Perkins.

And, yeah, Basham.
[Reply]
kcbubb 09:35 AM 05-13-2021
Ronnie Perkins.

And, yeah, Basham.
The pick of Bolton tells you that the chiefs liked taco and danna more than perkins and basham. Or liked Bolton better than hitchens in comparison with Perkins or basham vs taco and danna. The chiefs just didn’t like basham or Perkins. Kaindoh has a higher ceiling than either player. He’s huge and long and has an elite 10 yard split. He’s a project but they picked him earlier than anticipated so maybe they see something there. They clearly liked kaindoh in the 4th better than basham or Perkins in the 2nd. Kaindoh is also more of a spags fit.
[Reply]
kccrow 10:51 AM 05-13-2021
Originally Posted by kcbubb:
The pick of Bolton tells you that the chiefs liked taco and danna more than perkins and basham. Or liked Bolton better than hitchens in comparison with Perkins or basham vs taco and danna. The chiefs just didn’t like basham or Perkins. Kaindoh has a higher ceiling than either player. He’s huge and long and has an elite 10 yard split. He’s a project but they picked him earlier than anticipated so maybe they see something there. They clearly liked kaindoh in the 4th better than basham or Perkins in the 2nd. Kaindoh is also more of a spags fit.
I don't think it tells you any of that.

They may have liked Perkins and Basham better than anyone on the roster and any other edge rushers remaining but didn't have them valued as high as Bolton and Humphrey. It's not like LB and OC weren't also future needs at a minimum.

I personally valued both over Bolton but not over Humphrey, albeit Perkins was a fringe fit here. I'd have likely taken Humphrey over any of them at 58 which takes Basham out of play regardless. If it came to Bolton vs Perkins, that would have been an awfully rough choice to make but I likely would have gone Perkins. It's easy for me to look in retrospect and say Basham and Humphrey but the draft doesn't run that way and you have to think who you would have taken first. Hopefully, Veach comes out the smart one and we all look back and think he made great choices.
[Reply]
O.city 09:31 AM 05-02-2021

If you want a legit DE, you’re either gonna have to go the frank clark route and trade for one or take one likely in the first round.
[Reply]
The Franchise 09:33 AM 05-02-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
If you want a legit DE, you’re either gonna have to go the frank clark route and trade for one or take one likely in the first round.
And a ton of those guys went late first. No way were we trading up that high to get one of the bottom. That’s how you get Speaks 2.0.
[Reply]
Direckshun 01:18 PM 05-03-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
And a ton of those guys went late first. No way were we trading up that high to get one of the bottom. That’s how you get Speaks 2.0.
Ronnie Perkins was at the top of my big board when 58 rolled around.

We passed on him twice, if my memory is correct.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 02:57 PM 05-03-2021
Ronnie Perkins was at the top of my big board when 58 rolled around.

We passed on him twice, if my memory is correct.
you think maybe the fact that he's 6'2", 253 lbs. with 32" arms led the Chiefs to think he's not the greatest fit for a 4-3 DE? I mean there's no length, T. Rex arms, and he's light in the shorts. Looks like a 3-4 rushbacker to me. In KC I think he'd physically be limited to situational pass rusher.
[Reply]
The Franchise 09:36 AM 05-02-2021
Everyone okay with the Cardinals taking two LBs with back to back top 20 picks?
[Reply]
staylor26 09:39 AM 05-02-2021
Everyone okay with the Cardinals taking two LBs with back to back top 20 picks?
Now that’s a positional argument that I totally understand. Those were top 20 fucking picks. Not 32, 58, and 63. Completely different ball game.
[Reply]
The Franchise 09:40 AM 05-02-2021
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Now that’s a positional argument that I totally understand. Those were top 20 fucking picks. Not 32, 58, and 63. Completely different ball game.
I’m just saying. If I was a Cardinals fan...I would be pissed at the Zaven Collins pick right now.
[Reply]
staylor26 09:42 AM 05-02-2021
I’m just saying. If I was a Cardinals fan...I would be pissed at the Zaven Collins pick right now.
Absolutely. I was agreeing with you.

But the issue is people like Direckshun are so concerned with positional value that they overlook real value.

Bolton and Humphrey were consensus top 40-50 guys at the very least that some had going in the 1st round.

To get that at 58 and 63 IS value.

Do the Chiefs not have a need at those positions? If they work out, are the Chiefs not getting value having a starting C and MLB on rookie deals as opposed to paying market value at those positions to fill a need in free agency? Value is value.
[Reply]
Kellerfox 11:29 AM 05-02-2021
They are. GM Keim is an awful drafter. They have wanted his head on a pike for years now. Year round Keim hate is literally the foundation of local sports radio.

Compounding the LB/LB on back-to-back years in the top 16, they did the same thing previously with QB/QB. And 2017 was Hassan Reddick, another LB (really a DE they played out off position...).

Obviously the switch to Murray from Rosen was the right move, but they've had questionable positional decision making 5 years straight related to their 1st round picks. That statement is made agnostic of the actual players success.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 11
< 12 3456 > Last »
Up