ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 6
« First < 23456
Nzoner's Game Room>Players can wear guardian caps in game now
Hammock Parties 12:22 PM 04-26-2024
Every DB in the league should be wearing this :-)

To reduce player risk and continue driving innovations in equipment technology, Guardian Caps have been authorized for in-game use this season.

Hear more from @NFL Chief Medical Officer, Dr. Allen Sills: https://t.co/PpqOBxEiHl pic.twitter.com/tXUlAaEDbR

— NFL Football Operations (@NFLFootballOps) April 26, 2024

[Reply]
Nightfyre 12:26 PM 04-27-2024
Despite the aesthetic, if it prevents our players from getting concussions and put into the protocol, I hope the players wear them. I hate to see players miss time due to their egg getting scrambled.
[Reply]
Megatron96 01:58 PM 04-27-2024
Originally Posted by Chiefshrink:
Yep, pretty much! The phrase "bubble wrap generation" has literally finally come to fruition!

This game is getting harder to watch more and more every year. Bad enough, having women referees, let alone all of the rule changes and hamstringing defenses in those rule changes for the most part.

The only rules I will agree with is helmet to helmet, o-linemen protection of engagement of only 1 person, negating chop blocks, sacking QBs below the waist and blindside hitting defensless players not involved in the play. However conversely, I have never liked the horse collar rule, regardless of how many knee injuries have occurred. Weird I know, but just never liked that particular rule. Too old school, I get it.
Lol, watch any Barry Sanders reel; it’s almost all horse collars. He’d have another 2000 yds and 30 TDs if that rule had been in place in the ‘90s.

And yeah the strike zone on QBs is ludicrous. As is the “can’t fall on the QB with your full weight.”

I’m fairly sure that once Pat retires I’ll stop watching the NFL, same as I stopped watching the NBA after MJ left. And as I’m quickly losing interest in MLB now that Yadi is gone.

The game is trending towards something that doesn’t really resemble the game I grew up watching and the version it’s becoming won’t be worth my attention once Mahomes hangs them up.

Probably for the best; will mean a lot more time for fly-fishing.:-)
[Reply]
Pablo 06:11 AM 04-28-2024
Originally Posted by wazu:
I definitely want Mahomes wearing one.
Yeah this is the right approach

And nobody would call Pat anything bad. Maybe he and some other stars will make them catch on outside of practice and situations like Daface referenced
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 07:06 AM 04-28-2024
put one on pacheco at least
[Reply]
ghak99 12:13 PM 04-28-2024
If mic'd up wasn't filtered we'd get to hear a DB tell a WR he looks like a retarded dick the first time they lined up with one on.

Makes me miss Sneed.
[Reply]
loochy 12:18 PM 04-28-2024
Originally Posted by wazu:
I definitely want Mahomes wearing one.
Then we'll have 12 year old kids wearing them to school just because mahomes wore one.

Kind of like kids now and the arm sleeves and leg sleeves
[Reply]
philfree 12:31 PM 04-28-2024
I can see those things sticking or not glancing off other players helmets and causing a neck injury. Broke necks vs concussions? I don't know.
[Reply]
gblowfish 06:45 PM 04-28-2024
Wrap that rascal!
[Reply]
BWillie 07:01 PM 04-28-2024
Originally Posted by loochy:
Then we'll have 12 year old kids wearing them to school just because mahomes wore one.

Kind of like kids now and the arm sleeves and leg sleeves
Now that you mention children, pretty much all high schools and middle schools should have kids wearing these things in organized football.
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 07:26 PM 04-28-2024
I bet 3-5 seasons from now they're mandatory for QBs.
[Reply]
ChiefsFanatic 09:11 PM 04-28-2024
I would hope that helmet manufacturers have tried developing helmets with these types of safety measures, and if they did, they probably have some basic impact data already. Maybe the NFL has access to that data?

You can file this in the folder market Things You Think About When High:

There are circular saws and spinning blades that stop spinning the instant they hit human flesh. I am sure everyone has seen the videos. The sensor reaction time for the blade is insane.

I know because of the violence of the game it would probably be impossible, but I always think why can't we develop a helmet that uses a sensor that detects a specific amount of pressure, or some other data, that would instantly deploy some type of safety system inside the helmet to protect against concussion. No, I have no idea what type of technology or system in mind, but I did say I thought about when I was high.

Like, those protective inflatable suits or whatever you can get for riding a motorcycle or whatever, that are suppose to inflate if you crash.

Again, edibles make me think that we can calculate to the exact second when an eclipse will happen and how long it will last. We can build a telescope that literally can see millions and millions of light years away, which is basically looking into the past, and we can build robots that help brain surgeons. But we can't make a safer football helmet? Like, give me a fucking break.
[Reply]
srvy 09:35 PM 04-28-2024
Long snapper center and special teams all should consider this and yes even RB.
[Reply]
Megatron96 09:49 PM 04-28-2024
Not too long ago I watched a video on YT about how common ceramic tiles could effectively stop bullets. The kind that we probably all either have seen or have had in our bathrooms floors. Along the way they actually described the physics involved. It was a pretty interesting little video.

Which got me to thinking tonight. Essentially what those tiles did was disperse nearly 100% of the impact energy of those bullets across their entire surface almost instantly as they shattered into dust, and thereby reducing the bullet's penetration to just a couple inches.

So why not do something similar inside a helmet? Now, the problem obviously is the helmet would be a one-and-done type of thing, which wouldn't really be cost-effective.

But I was reading an article in either Popular Mechanics or Scientific American about new materials that could be re-formed by running an electric current through them. It might someday be possible to make tiles out of a material (maybe simply iron-infused ceramics?) that could re-form itself via electrical current after each big hit. Maybe.

I'm not a scientist or engineer, so I'm sure there's a small pile of technical issues to deal with before something like that could be used in the NFL, but the tech is being researched right now.
[Reply]
jettio 06:21 AM 04-29-2024
I think the guardian caps could lead to more spinal cord injuries at game speed if players wearing them had helmet to helmet at high speed. Those adhere more than the high impact plastic. Also makes your head bigger.
[Reply]
Page 6 of 6
« First < 23456
Up