ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 16 of 29
« First < 61213141516 1718192026 > Last »
Media Center>So....Dune 2020. Cool?
Amnorix 03:03 PM 08-19-2019
I learned today for the first time that a remake of the awesome book (and decidedly less awesome early 80s movie) Dune is being made, and is currently in post-production with a release date of December 18, 2020.

The cast includes many I don't know, but the ones I do know seem excellent for their roles. It's damn near a Marvel reunion...

Jason Mamoa as Duncan Idaho (the swordmaster of House Atreides)

Josh Brolin as Gurney Halleck (weaponsmaster of House Atreides, played memorably (and surprisingly) by Patrick Stewart in the original movie

Stellan Skarsgard as Baron Harkonnen

Dave Bautista (better known as Drax the Destroyer) as "Beast" Rabban, the nephew of Harkonnen

The most critical guy -- the one playing Paul is unknown to me. https://www.imdb.com/name/nm3154303/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t3

This film is also only going to cover the first half of the book, which is good. It's really not possible to cover the whole thing in one 2 or 3 hour movie.

Anyway -- I love the book and a really good film would be great. What say you about all this news? Or am I just the last to known (as would be typical, to be honest!)
[Reply]
Valiant 09:32 PM 10-22-2021
Visually stunning. Love the city scenes. The dragonflies we're awesome.

But as I feared. I hated the split on where the movie ended. Just hope the second part is made.

Disliked Batista, I am starting to dislike him a lot.
The doctor looked more like Mr. Sinister.

Any nerd should see it though.
[Reply]
Valiant 09:40 PM 10-22-2021
https://youtu.be/DgymD-daQmQ

https://youtu.be/DgymD-daQmQ

Sorry. Damn vid is not working.

Video is dune redone for twenty dollars.
[Reply]
Pogue 02:19 AM 10-23-2021
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
So Star Wars meets GoT meets Tremors.

I dug it.
Felt like it was the Matrix/Star Wars/GoT mashed together.

I’m not sure this should be a movie given the source material. It’ll be odd if Warner Bros doesn’t green light the second part.
[Reply]
Frazod 03:23 AM 10-23-2021
Originally Posted by Pogue:
Felt like it was the Matrix/Star Wars/GoT mashed together.

I’m not sure this should be a movie given the source material. It’ll be odd if Warner Bros doesn’t green light the second part.
I have always been of the opinion that it should have been done as an HBO miniseries with six hour long episodes.

Spoiler!

Anyway, that's how I would have done it. Each episode would have a good natural stopping point.

But again, I was not consulted.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 07:24 AM 10-23-2021
Originally Posted by Frazod:
I have always been of the opinion that it should have been done as an HBO miniseries with six hour long episodes.

Spoiler!

Anyway, that's how I would have done it. Each episode would have a good natural stopping point.

Great ideas and breakdown.

It would be incredible as an animated series as well. Maybe some day?

I have a similar work up/treatment for the Malazan Book of the Fallen sitting around somewhere (except seasons rather than episodes, but the volume is as large as all the Dune material put together, if you include all the Brian Herbert stuff).
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:21 AM 10-23-2021
I read the first book but I was more of a Asimov Foundation type of reader. That Lynch version was such a travesty,

The visuals were stunning. Should see this on IMAX for sure. Well done and well acted for the most part Sucks they didn't do the second part at the same time but after the lame ass failure of Lynch's version don't blame the studio for putting $500 million on the line.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 09:31 AM 10-23-2021
Originally Posted by Frazod:

Spoiler!

Your mini series would be perfection.
[Reply]
Beef Supreme 01:53 PM 10-23-2021
So i did not realize i could just watch this on hbo max. Just got finished watching and i liked it. But seems like it might be a long time before we get to see part 2 if ever. I would totally be up for a mini series.
[Reply]
RINGLEADER 04:31 PM 10-23-2021
The movie was incredibly well made and DV did a fine job telling the first half of the Dune story. Everything was done just as it should be done.

Problem I had with it was that there just isn’t anything that is that memorable about the way they filmed it. Love or hate the Lynch version, there are moments that really worked as glorious goofy fun. The next day — outside of a couple scenes — there wasn’t really any sequence that memorable.

It’s hard to explain. The movie is good, don’t get me wrong. It just didn’t deliver anything more than what I was expecting or succeed is telling part of the story in a memorable way.
[Reply]
Pants 04:56 PM 10-23-2021
I loved every second of it.

My favorite scene was Jessica using her voice in the thopter. I know Denis changed it quite a bit from the way it went down in the book, but I just felt like the entirety of the book, she was this super human badass and it didn't show in the movie until that scene.

I thought Villeneuve ended the movie perfectly. Knowing ahead of time that it wasn't going to be the complete story helped, though.

I also loved the Jamis fight. Was just like I imagined it minus it not being in an actual cave.
[Reply]
srvy 05:31 PM 10-23-2021
The actress who played Chani looks exactly as my mind envisioned her reading the book. This in my opinion was done well with just a few things changed and what I thought were key elements not included. In all very happy and look forward to part two.
[Reply]
Graystoke 09:38 PM 10-23-2021
I have to agree with RINGLEADER here. Great movie with stunning visual effects but something fell short, like the movie lacked soul? Maybe multiple views are needed for this to happen.
I was impressed with how they mostly followed the novel but to leave out the Guild Navigators is shocking. The Navigators are the primary user of the Spice Melange, and their holdings on space travel due to the Spice is one of the biggest motivations for everything that happens on Arrakis.
Hopefully part 2 covers some important ground.
[Reply]
BWillie 10:52 PM 10-23-2021
Man, you guys are a bunch of Dune nerds. I had no idea this many ppl knew about this shit. I never saw the first one just heard about it over the years and seemingly have an idea of the folklore. Found the movie entertaining but furious with how it ended. I have to wait years to know more (Im sure a second movie will take forever since it hasn't even been filmed, or even green lit at this point)
[Reply]
BWillie 11:06 PM 10-23-2021
I had no idea who composed the musical effects in this movie but it captured the mood precisely. It is nothing I would ever listen outside of the film but without it this movie wouldn't have been as good or have the same tone. After I looked it up and it of course was Hans Zimmer. I understand alot of Hollywood ppl say he sucks and doesn't even compose but I tell you what. Everything he does turns to gold. I thought Tenet sucked...turns out I just read he didnt do Tenet even though I thought he did until today. It all makes sense now.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 06:18 AM 10-24-2021
Originally Posted by Graystoke:
I have to agree with RINGLEADER here. Great movie with stunning visual effects but something fell short, like the movie lacked soul? Maybe multiple views are needed for this to happen.
I was impressed with how they mostly followed the novel but to leave out the Guild Navigators is shocking. The Navigators are the primary user of the Spice Melange, and their holdings on space travel due to the Spice is one of the biggest motivations for everything that happens on Arrakis.
Hopefully part 2 covers some important ground.
I am planning on watching two or three more times. A hell of a lot happened, too much to really process all at once. Hence why this should be a mini series, not movies.
[Reply]
Page 16 of 29
« First < 61213141516 1718192026 > Last »
Up