ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2818 of 3903
« First < 1818231827182768280828142815281628172818 281928202821282228282868291833183818 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Marcellus 12:38 PM 08-10-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
2977/285 million = 0.00001%
I suppose by that logic we should be sending missiles into China right about now.

I mean since you are hell bent on making a dumb comparison.

Let me know when the explosion in Lebanon causes the entire US economy to crash and results in 30MM people unemployed with no change in near sight and keeps schools closed when the average age of death is 78.
[Reply]
Marcellus 12:40 PM 08-10-2020
Guess I've missed that argument. What's the point they're trying to make?
The argument is the same one as pointing out 50K people a month in the US die from heart disease the response is "its not contagious!".

Neither are explosions in Beirut but here you were making the comparison.
[Reply]
DaFace 12:40 PM 08-10-2020
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
I suppose by that logic we should be sending missiles into China right about now.

I mean since you are hell bent on making a dumb comparison.

Let me know when the explosion in Lebanon causes the entire US economy to crash and results in 30MM people unemployed with no change in near sight.
You're the one who keeps throwing out death percentages. They're not meaningful - I agree.

(And you don't think that Lebanon's economy is going to take a hit?)
[Reply]
Marcellus 12:41 PM 08-10-2020
You're the one who keeps throwing out death percentages. They're not meaningful - I agree.

(And you don't think that Lebanon's economy is going to take a hit?)
:-)

Is the whole world economy going to be impacted by this explosion? Are kids not in school in the US over it?

I mean you started this dumb conversation. I'll just bow out of it.
[Reply]
DaFace 12:42 PM 08-10-2020
The argument is the same one as pointing out 50K people a month in the US die from heart disease the response is "its not contagious!".

Neither are explosions in Beirut but here you were making the comparison.
That doesn't explain what the argument is.
[Reply]
Marcellus 12:43 PM 08-10-2020
Dude you are smarter than this.
[Reply]
Donger 12:43 PM 08-10-2020
[Reply]
DaFace 12:44 PM 08-10-2020
Dude you are smarter than this.

Apparently I'm not. I get that "it's contagious" is the thing that people say. I don't understand why that's an "argument" for anything.
[Reply]
Perineum Ripper 12:48 PM 08-10-2020
Guess I've missed that argument. What's the point they're trying to make?
You have missed that argument? How?

Every single time death numbers were brought up from some disease, people would bring up it wasn’t contagious like COVID. Those same people would then compare death totals of COVID to wars, even though war deaths aren’t contagious. Just like the explosion in Lebanon, just like 9/11 weren’t contagious, so I was curious if all those people would jump in to say that.
[Reply]
loochy 12:49 PM 08-10-2020

Apparently I'm not. I get that "it's contagious" is the thing that people say. I don't understand why that's an "argument" for anything.

Because its not contagious.
[Reply]
DaFace 12:53 PM 08-10-2020
Originally Posted by mac459:

Every single time death numbers were brought up from some disease, people would bring up it wasn’t contagious like COVID. Those same people would then compare death totals of COVID to wars, even though war deaths aren’t contagious. Just like the explosion in Lebanon, just like 9/11 weren’t contagious, so I was curious if all those people would jump in to say that.
If I'm understanding the argument correctly, that seems to be more about being "preventable" than about being "contagious" per se. It's not a black and white thing, but I'd put them on a spectrum something like this.

-Not a lot we can do about heart disease, though research continues.
-Relatively little we could have done about 9/11 given the information known at the time.
-Some things we could have done about COVID.
-A lot they could have done in Beirut.

Regardless, my only point is that looking at situations based on the percentage of people who are killed is silly. There is almost no situation, illness or otherwise, that would kill a significant percentage of the population, so using that as a means of examining a situation's severity is almost entirely meaningless.
[Reply]
petegz28 12:58 PM 08-10-2020
[Reply]
Donger 01:00 PM 08-10-2020
Originally Posted by mac459:

The argument was (and I guess is) that we lose more people from car accidents (e.g.) than we had from COVID-19, but we don't tell people to stop driving, in comparison to the mitigation efforts.

That's separate from saying, "Holy crap. This thing has killed more Americans in two months than Vietnam did in 10 years."
[Reply]
Marcellus 01:00 PM 08-10-2020
If I'm understanding the argument correctly, that seems to be more about being "preventable" than about being "contagious" per se. It's not a black and white thing, but I'd put them on a spectrum something like this.

-Not a lot we can do about heart disease, though research continues.
-Relatively little we could have done about 9/11 given the information known at the time.
-Some things we could have done about COVID.
-A lot they could have done in Beirut.

Regardless, my only point is that looking at situations based on the percentage of people who are killed is silly. There is almost no situation, illness or otherwise, that would kill a significant percentage of the population, so using that as a means of examining a situation's severity is almost entirely meaningless.
This sounds like complete nonsense. Every single decision made by people and especially government is based on risk vs reward.

Again we are harming out kids and young adults to avoid a disease that kills people on average the same age as the average life expectancy. Its stupid.
[Reply]
sedated 01:01 PM 08-10-2020
And here we are back to the "what is more important, the economy or hundreds of thousands of (old) people's lives?"
[Reply]
Page 2818 of 3903
« First < 1818231827182768280828142815281628172818 281928202821282228282868291833183818 > Last »
Up