ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 89 of 192
« First < 39798586878889 9091929399139189 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Chiefs Trade for OT Orlando Brown
Dante84 01:00 PM 04-23-2021
developing.

The #Ravens are trading LT Orlando Brown to the #Chiefs, per me and @MikeGarafolo. A new blindside protector for Patrick Mahomes.

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) April 23, 2021

Kansas City is trading its first-round pick Thursday night, along with three other picks in the 2021 and 2022 drafts, to the Baltimore Ravens in exchange for Pro Bowl OT Orlando Brown and one pick in the 2021 draft and another in 2022, per sources.

— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) April 23, 2021

Full details: #Chiefs get:
Orland Brown, 2021 2nd and a 2022 6th rounder
Ravens get: 2021 1st, 3rd, 4th and 20221 5th

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) April 23, 2021

[Reply]
poolboy 09:55 AM 04-27-2021
not signing Williams did allow us to go after guys like Reed, Ingram, JuJu etc
[Reply]
Chris Meck 09:57 AM 04-27-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Williams is the best left tackle in the NFL, bar none, which is why he was the Chiefs first preference.

Stating that Chiefs would be better without Williams and four draft picks is absurd.

Also, I edited my post five minutes before you posted so you wouldn’t have seen the word Jones because it has been changed by that point.

Why am I not surprised at your disengenousness?
I was down with the Williams plan. But there are downsides: He's 32, he's played one full season in the last several years, and was wildly expensive, requiring a LONG commitment too.

I didn't think OBJ was a possibility really. But he's at worst a plus player, is 24, is one more year on a rookie deal and then perhaps franchised (although I doubt it comes to that).

Are we better off with Trent Williams and the picks?

I honestly don't think so when you consider 1) the financial burden 2)age of the player 3)injury history.

Yeah peak Trent Williams is probably better than Brown, but how sure are you we'd get that, and for how long? and at what cost?

anyway, as a plan 'b' I think we did pretty well.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 10:03 AM 04-27-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
I was down with the Williams plan. But there are downsides: He's 32, he's played one full season in the last several years, and was wildly expensive, requiring a LONG commitment too.

I didn't think OBJ was a possibility really. But he's at worst a plus player, is 24, is one more year on a rookie deal and then perhaps franchised (although I doubt it comes to that).

Are we better off with Trent Williams and the picks?

I honestly don't think so when you consider 1) the financial burden 2)age of the player 3)injury history.

Yeah peak Trent Williams is probably better than Brown, but how sure are you we'd get that, and for how long? and at what cost?

I was all in on Trent too but I like how this all played out. 24 year old 2 time pro-bowler to guard Mahomes for the next 8+ years.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:09 AM 04-27-2021
Originally Posted by MahomesMagic:
I was all in on Trent too but I like how this all played out. 24 year old 2 time pro-bowler to guard Mahomes for the next 8+ years.
Me three.
[Reply]
O.city 10:09 AM 04-27-2021
I think Brown ends up being a really good LT, but there's some risk there. He hasn't played a whole lot of LT in the league so it's a bit unknown.

But Williams, as good as he is, is 32. That always scared me a bit.
[Reply]
TEX 10:13 AM 04-27-2021
Originally Posted by MahomesMagic:
Yep! The 49'ers saved us from ourselves here and we're better for it. :-)
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 10:22 AM 04-27-2021
I just never let myself dig into Orlando Brown. I never believed Baltimore would actually make this deal or make reasonable demands.

Now that I have, he's a better fit than I thought (though still not in the traditional mold of LT for Andy Reid). I do love hearing and reading him talk about how important technique is. Would guess that helps him make up for any lack of ideal athleticism he has (similar to Mitchell Schwartz).
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:23 AM 04-27-2021
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
I just never let myself dig into Orlando Brown. I never believed Baltimore would actually make this deal or make reasonable demands.

Now that I have, he's a better fit than I thought (though still not in the traditional mold of LT for Andy Reid). I do love hearing and reading him talk about how important technique is. Would guess that helps him make up for any lack of ideal athleticism he has (similar to Mitchell Schwartz).
Yep.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:26 AM 04-27-2021
Well, we know the cost and so did the Chiefs.

The point is that some people are being disingenuous. There's an entire thread filled with people pleading for Williams because he's the best left tackle in the NFL. As for how long, the Chiefs were willing to sign him for 3 years, which has pretty much been their standard contract length since Veach became the GM.

Hill, Watson, Mathieu, et al, have all signed 3 year deals.

I never said they didn't and I'm very happy with how it turned out.

But let's not pretend that Trent Williams and their full compliment of draft selections wasn't their first choice.
[Reply]
WarChiefs89 10:47 AM 04-27-2021
That Peter King quote earlier on the Ravens valuing the 31st pick as pick 22 because they feel they can get their 22nd ranked guy at that pick was an interesting tidbit. Got me thinking about this draft...

McShay said on a pod yesterday that Kellen Mond, Kyle Trask, and David Mills are all getting buzz as 2nd round options for teams. If 8 QB's would go in front of KC by pick 58 that would really help push some value down the board to us. That's way more QB's going early than in recent drafts...

2020 - 5 QB's in 1+2 Round
2019 - 4 QB's
2018 - 5 QB's
2017 - 4 QB's
2016 - 4 QB's
2015 - 2 QB's

Praying we see 8 QB's fly off the board in the top 50 picks.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:52 AM 04-27-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
The point is that some people are being disingenuous. There's an entire thread filled with people pleading for Williams because he's the best left tackle in the NFL. As for how long, the Chiefs were willing to sign him for 3 years, which has pretty much been their standard contract length since Veach became the GM.
To be fair, most of those people likely didn't believe that Brown was even an option because they didn't believe he'd be traded, let alone to the Chiefs.

We're looking at it now with the benefit of hindsight. At the beginning of free agency, of course Williams was the by far the best available option - it's pretty obvious that Veach knew it and so did we.

But looking at it now, with the benefit of hindsight, it's not unreasonable to argue that the Chiefs actually ended up in a better position. Trading down to get extra 2nd rounders might have arguably been better, in conjunction with Williams but Veach seems to have a propensity to trade up and we still would have had a need at OT.

It's not inconceivable to think we get Williams, trade up for a tackle, and actually end up with less in hand than what we ended up with after trading for Brown.
[Reply]
Dunerdr 11:00 AM 04-27-2021
I was foolish and just read where several people said he was a mauler in the run game with little ability to pass pro, and that he was not mobile enough for Reid. After looking at some film i dont believe any of that to be true. And clearly the Chiefs dont believe it either. What a fucking steal.
[Reply]
Fansy the Famous Bard 11:00 AM 04-27-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
I think Brown ends up being a really good LT, but there's some risk there. He hasn't played a whole lot of LT in the league so it's a bit unknown.

But Williams, as good as he is, is 32. That always scared me a bit.
Willie Roaf was 32 when he played his first game for KC. :-)
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:05 AM 04-27-2021
Originally Posted by Dunerdr:
I was foolish and just read where several people said he was a mauler in the run game with little ability to pass pro, and that he was not mobile enough for Reid. After looking at some film i dont believe any of that to be true. And clearly the Chiefs dont believe it either. What a fucking steal.
Yeah, my original opinion was formed by the fact that he was the RT for the run-first Ravens.

I too did my research and came away realizing I was way wrong.

I should have know to go right back to that chart that was posted early in the offseason.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 11:06 AM 04-27-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
To be fair, most of those people likely didn't believe that Brown was even an option because they didn't believe he'd be traded, let alone to the Chiefs.
Sorry Dude, not buying it.

Maybe you and a few of the guys in the draft forum felt that trading for Brown wasn't feasible and/or not a fit but there's a thread with more than a 1,430 responses, with only 37 of which that even mention OBJ, and most of those are against that trade, not for it.

In hindsight, it's really easy to say "Well, the Chiefs came out better than if they had signed Williams and kept all of their draft choices" but that's just a rationalization. There's no proof of that existing at this point in time and it's crystal clear that the Chiefs first choice was Williams and their full compliment of draft choices.

If people are going say things like "Whatever Veach thinks is okay with me!" or "Trust in Veach!", then clearly, those same people should realize that his first choice was Williams and his full compliment of 2021 draft selections.

To say otherwise is clearly disingenuous.
[Reply]
Page 89 of 192
« First < 39798586878889 9091929399139189 > Last »
Up