ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3668 of 3903
« First < 2668316835683618365836643665366636673668 3669367036713672367837183768 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
BigBeauford 05:32 PM 08-18-2021
Originally Posted by Fish:
Regarding the bolded, I keep seeing people repeat this. But the reality is that you cannot simply vaccinate a small part of the population that really needs it and ignore the rest. Unless you physically put those people in a bubble, you might as well not even bother. A vaccine will never be anything close to effective with that kind of strategy, and it just gives the virus that much more of an opportunity to mutate into something potentially worse.
Just to piggyback off that, we think our 3 year old brought it home, and now I'm day 3 of a breakthrough case with my wife. She was pretty sick for a couple days. I can only imagine how much worse it would be without her being vaccinated. 35 y/o. Have to burn 5 days of PTO now.
[Reply]
notorious 05:37 PM 08-18-2021
Originally Posted by DaFace:
I just think that social media has dulled our ability to consider nuance in anything. Everyone feels some weird tribal need to be right all the time, and they exaggerate everything to try and prove a point.
CHIEFSPLANET SET THE TREND BEFORE IT WAS COOL.
[Reply]
notorious 05:37 PM 08-18-2021
Originally Posted by BigBeauford:
Just to piggyback off that, we think our 3 year old brought it home, and now I'm day 3 of a breakthrough case with my wife. She was pretty sick for a couple days. I can only imagine how much worse it would be without her being vaccinated. 35 y/o. Have to burn 5 days of PTO now.
How is your little one doing?
[Reply]
Baby Lee 05:41 PM 08-18-2021
Originally Posted by InvinciBill:
I agree with you 100%, and anyone who disagrees with you must be euthanized immediately in order for humanity to succeed.
:-) :-) - mod forgot to log out.
[Reply]
carlos3652 05:46 PM 08-18-2021
Hope your little one and your wife is ok.

My little one got Croup 3 weeks ago (brought it from childcare) and gave me something (not covid as I tested negative) and I have been dealing with it for 3 weeks now.

Luckily I work from home and only had to take PTO on my severe days, and could work remotely so I did not have to take more time off.

the little one got a reoccurring croup diagnosis this last weekend, so its like our house is just passing it back and forth... it sucks.
[Reply]
BigBeauford 05:46 PM 08-18-2021
Originally Posted by notorious:
How is your little one doing?
He doesn't seemed bothered at all. Might have a diminished appetite, but it's hard to tell between that and his usual defiance.
[Reply]
TLO 06:15 PM 08-18-2021
I'm on a booster kick today.

All the data available (there's not a lot) shows that a 3rd shot of the mRNA vaccines boost antibody levels. Ok.. Cool.

But these levels are inevitably going to decline again in 4-8 months. Maybe sooner.

It does appear the booster adds some short term impact on someone catching the virus at all. (Again the data simply isn't there for a longer term outlook)

I'm conflicted.
[Reply]
notorious 06:28 PM 08-18-2021
He doesn't seemed bothered at all. Might have a diminished appetite, but it's hard to tell between that and his usual defiance.
Good news. Covid needs to fuck off when it comes to the little ones.
[Reply]
Sure-Oz 10:45 PM 08-18-2021
Hope you all get well soon. Glad the child is doing ok.
[Reply]
dirk digler 06:29 AM 08-19-2021
It is going to be interesting to see if there will be a mass departure of nursing home staff here shortly after it was announced yesterday that they will be required to get the vaccine or the nursing home will lose federal funding. The Feds need to apply this to all healthcare facilities that get federal funding to be honest.
[Reply]
TLO 06:36 AM 08-19-2021
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
It is going to be interesting to see if there will be a mass departure of nursing home staff here shortly after it was announced yesterday that they will be required to get the vaccine or the nursing home will lose federal funding. The Feds need to apply this to all healthcare facilities that get federal funding to be honest.
Agreed.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 07:04 AM 08-19-2021
Originally Posted by TLO:
I'm on a booster kick today.

All the data available (there's not a lot) shows that a 3rd shot of the mRNA vaccines boost antibody levels. Ok.. Cool.

But these levels are inevitably going to decline again in 4-8 months. Maybe sooner.

It does appear the booster adds some short term impact on someone catching the virus at all. (Again the data simply isn't there for a longer term outlook)

I'm conflicted.
The real question for me is if the active antibodies even matter. Do we get a bone marrow level/long term immunity from the mRNA shots or not? If so, the short term antibodies don't matter that much. If not, the mRNA shots are short term band-aids and we need to be looking at more conventional vaccines.

If I understand correctly, the J&J shot is closer to a traditional vaccine and maybe that's why it is looking perhaps better against Delta.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 07:06 AM 08-19-2021
Originally Posted by carlos3652:
Hope your little one and your wife is ok.

My little one got Croup 3 weeks ago (brought it from childcare) and gave me something (not covid as I tested negative) and I have been dealing with it for 3 weeks now.

Luckily I work from home and only had to take PTO on my severe days, and could work remotely so I did not have to take more time off.

the little one got a reoccurring croup diagnosis this last weekend, so its like our house is just passing it back and forth... it sucks.
Just saw a TV advertisement for a croup vaccine. Hadn't heard of it before.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 07:08 AM 08-19-2021
Originally Posted by DaFace:
I kind of hate the 99% numbers whether we're talking about COVID risk or vaccine risk or anything else. I've generally found that most people don't even understand what the numbers mean, let alone how they relate to anything tangible, yet people love to throw them out as proof of something.

My favorite example recently was that a county commissioner here in Colorado recently said that kids are more likely to die from being hit by an asteroid than they are to die from COVID. I get the gist of what she was trying to say (that kids are relatively unlikely to die from COVID), but she was trying to compare the likelihood that the Earth would be hit by an asteroid in the next 300 years to the likelihood that a kid has died from COVID in the past year. (And...uh...not many kids have died from asteroids, so there's that.)

Shit like that happens all over the place, and it adds next to nothing to the conversation. Yes, you're relatively unlikely to die from COVID. Yes, you're even less likely to have an adverse affect from a vaccine. But saying that 99% of people are fine in either situation implies that it can't happen, when the reality is that 1 out of 100 people dying would be a fuck ton of dead people. Because of that, there's a ton more to discuss than "99%" of anything.
A more apt comparison would be kids are more likely to be harmed/die in a car wreck than from COVID.
[Reply]
O.city 07:24 AM 08-19-2021
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider:
The real question for me is if the active antibodies even matter. Do we get a bone marrow level/long term immunity from the mRNA shots or not? If so, the short term antibodies don't matter that much. If not, the mRNA shots are short term band-aids and we need to be looking at more conventional vaccines.

If I understand correctly, the J&J shot is closer to a traditional vaccine and maybe that's why it is looking perhaps better against Delta.
If it produces a neutralizing antibody initially, I don't see how you wouldn't get some long term plasmoblasts and T cell initiation.
[Reply]
Page 3668 of 3903
« First < 2668316835683618365836643665366636673668 3669367036713672367837183768 > Last »
Up