ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Tyrann Mathieu Alternatives thread
Nightfyre 07:31 PM 01-08-2022
This thread idea materialized after I watched HB stand there throwing his hands up in the air rather than trying to challenge Lock at the goal line on his first touchdown run.

What are some acceptable alternative courses of action if you let Mathieu walk in the offseason?
[Reply]
Direckshun 10:09 AM 01-10-2022
I think Mathieu is a quality player but his real value is off the field. You guys have no idea how much he means to this team's mental and emotional preparation.

He is likely to get re-signed, and probably will at $16m/year or so, with an out two seasons down the road.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:33 AM 01-10-2022
Originally Posted by Nightfyre:
This thread idea materialized after I watched HB stand there throwing his hands up in the air rather than trying to challenge Lock at the goal line on his first touchdown run.

What are some acceptable alternative courses of action if you let Mathieu walk in the offseason?
He's done that at least a dozen times this year.

I'm done with the guy.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:35 AM 01-10-2022
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
I think Mathieu is a quality player but his real value is off the field. You guys have no idea how much he means to this team's mental and emotional preparation.

He is likely to get re-signed, and probably will at $16m/year or so, with an out two seasons down the road.
Then hire more coaches.

If you need a $16 million safety for 'mental and emotional preparation' then you're doing something wrong with your coaching staff.

They don't cost anything on the cap, they're a relative pittance from a cash outlay perspective and they can give you 'intangibles' especially if they're a former player.

There's no reason to pay top of the market for a safety's 'intangibles'. Not when he's making business decisions on gameday. Intangibles are a bonus - they can't be the underlying justification.
[Reply]
Direckshun 11:57 AM 01-10-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Then hire more coaches.

If you need a $16 million safety for 'mental and emotional preparation' then you're doing something wrong with your coaching staff.

They don't cost anything on the cap, they're a relative pittance from a cash outlay perspective and they can give you 'intangibles' especially if they're a former player.

There's no reason to pay top of the market for a safety's 'intangibles'. Not when he's making business decisions on gameday. Intangibles are a bonus - they can't be the underlying justification.
That's not what players say. Players say that leaders in the locker room can reach their teammates in ways coaches simply can't -- we have the receipts on that. And I'm telling you, we're all underestimating Mathieu's worth between games, which is far higher than his already-strong play on Sundays.

You have to give Spags and his coaches a ton of credit for the unbelievable turn-around we've seen from the defense this year. But a lot of the credit has to go to defensive leadership as well, primarily Mathieu.
[Reply]
The Franchise 11:58 AM 01-10-2022
Let Mathieu walk.
Bring back Ward (as long as he isn’t getting top dollar…which I don’t think he will.)
Move Sneed to Mathieu’s role.
Bring back Baker and Hughes.
Draft a CB.
Draft a Sorenson replacement.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 12:32 PM 01-10-2022
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
That's not what players say. Players say that leaders in the locker room can reach their teammates in ways coaches simply can't -- we have the receipts on that. And I'm telling you, we're all underestimating Mathieu's worth between games, which is far higher than his already-strong play on Sundays.

You have to give Spags and his coaches a ton of credit for the unbelievable turn-around we've seen from the defense this year. But a lot of the credit has to go to defensive leadership as well, primarily Mathieu.
Mathieus ‘leadership’ wasn’t doing much when they were trash through week 6.
[Reply]
ntexascardfan 10:26 AM 01-11-2022
We need to completely make over the safeties room. We have a tremendous lack of athleticism back there and it gets us killed.
[Reply]
kccrow 09:52 PM 01-11-2022
It really depends on what KC is looking for.

If they want to replace Mathieu with someone who's like him, then Jordan Whitehead is the guy I'd consider target #1. Justin Reid, while bigger, would probably be the next closest. Quandre Diggs would be on that list but he just broke his leg and dislocated his ankle so we'll have to see how he heals up.

There's a lot of talented free safeties available in the free-agent market but not many are strong safety or hybrid types or they are getting old. I'd be interested in a guy like Maye on a 1 or 2 year deal. If they look for a true SS and Terrell Edmunds is available, he's pretty good.

I don't know the answers but there are options either way. Some good safeties on day 2 of the draft too.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 07:48 AM 01-12-2022
Originally Posted by kccrow:
It really depends on what KC is looking for.

If they want to replace Mathieu with someone who's like him, then Jordan Whitehead is the guy I'd consider target #1. Justin Reid, while bigger, would probably be the next closest. Quandre Diggs would be on that list but he just broke his leg and dislocated his ankle so we'll have to see how he heals up.

There's a lot of talented free safeties available in the free-agent market but not many are strong safety or hybrid types or they are getting old. I'd be interested in a guy like Maye on a 1 or 2 year deal. If they look for a true SS and Terrell Edmunds is available, he's pretty good.

I don't know the answers but there are options either way. Some good safeties on day 2 of the draft too.
man, we could seriously re-stack the deck with a couple of extra #3's for EB and Poles.
[Reply]
Buehler445 04:03 PM 01-20-2022
Originally Posted by ntexascardfan:
We need to completely make over the safeties room. We have a tremendous lack of athleticism back there and it gets us killed.
Not sure I agree with that.

Sorensen is certainly limited. Yes. Full stop.

Mathieu, while completely unwilling to tackle anymore is not limited.

I think Thornhill is fine back there.

Watts IMO is fine athletically. He just appears to be a dumbass.
[Reply]
htismaqe 04:42 PM 01-20-2022
Originally Posted by ntexascardfan:
Juan Thornhill is finally getting back to his pre-injury self. He was very good as a rookie and has plenty of athleticism.
[Reply]
htismaqe 04:42 PM 01-20-2022
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Not sure I agree with that.

Sorensen is certainly limited. Yes. Full stop.

Mathieu, while completely unwilling to tackle anymore is not limited.

I think Thornhill is fine back there.

Watts IMO is fine athletically. He just appears to be a dumbass.
All of this.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 05:45 PM 01-26-2022
Doesn't sound like he'll be back
Attached: Screenshot_20220126-174320_Twitter.jpg (71.2 KB) 
[Reply]
jd1020 06:42 PM 01-26-2022
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:

The defense started playing better when we got a pass rush and our starting corners healthy.

Mathieu was still back there flailing his arms around with guys missing their assignments with the "QB of the defense" on the field and one of the all time worst defenses to start the season. He's not worth the kind of money it's going to take to calm his ego.
[Reply]
htismaqe 07:50 AM 01-27-2022
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
He's clearly talking about the AFCCG and SB, not free agency.

"Sooner than later"
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up