ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 84
< 1234 56781454 > Last »
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>*** 2022 Mock Draft Megathread ***
duncan_idaho 12:45 PM 11-23-2021
Got a mock? Pop it in this thread. Include a picture if you want. Explain your reasoning if you want. Talk about your crushes... if you want.

See a good "pro" mock? Link it up in here and I'll add it to the OP.

Duncan's latest mock

Site
The Draft Network This mock seems to be the most accurate site right now, so I go with this one. I don't pay for it, so no trades here. The plan is for this to be my last mock. I'm going to do it differently, though. I'm running 3 scenarios, and eschewing the 7th round picks, which I would use on a big swings on athleticism and potential. Lotto tickets. James Houston IV is one of them. Note: I used PFF to simulate the trade action, then manually backed up in the 2 "trade" drafts to make selections. Laborious, but gives you best of both worlds, IMO. I think PFF's trade tool is the best, but its board is whack.

Draft slot: 29

Scenario 1: The Chiefs sit pat with their picks and don't make any moves at all. Seems the least likely, but hey...
1.29 | George Karlaftis, DE, Purdue.
1.30 | Boye Mafe, DE, Minnesota.
2.50 | George Pickens, WR, Georgia.
2.62 | Travis Jones, DT, UConn.
3.94 | Zyon McCollum, CB, Sam Houston State.
3.103(Comp for Poles) | Troy Andersen, LB, Montana State.
4.121 | Coby Bryant, CB, Cincinnati.
4.135 | Velus Jones, Jr., Tennessee

Scenario 1 Debrief:
So, sitting and waiting to see what comes to me was pretty successful here. The Chiefs FLOOD the defensive line with reinforcements, including at least 1 ready-made starter and two guys who should - at minimum - be in 50/50 rotations at their spots by year end. The Chiefs still get a big outside WR with tantalizing potential. They add some crazy athletic small-school guys, and a mid-round corner who just fits in the system, and a dynamo return man who might be more at WR.

This looks pretty good. Though I have a hard time believing Karlaftis just falls to 29...

Scenario 2: The Chiefs get aggressive and trade up. But for what? In this case, let's go wide receiver. In this run, Kansas City trades picks 29, 62, and a 2023 3rd to Houston for pick 13 and a 2023 4th, because they ARE as obsessed with a WR as people expect and are aggressive to go get him when the board falls right. They then trade BACK from 30 to 35 with the Jets, also including pick 94 in order to get 69 back. Then, last but not least, KC gets aggressive one more time and moves 103 and 121 for 85 from New England, leaving the Chiefs with 6 picks in the first four rounds.
1.13 | Jameson Williams, WR, Alabama.
2.35 | Cam Thomas, DE, San Diego State.
2.50 | Jalen Pitre, S, Baylor.
3.69 | Zachary Carter, DT, Florida.
3.85 | Sam Williams, DE, Ole Miss.
4.135 | Jaylen Watson, CB, Washington State

Scenario 2 Debrief:
I'm not saying KC should do this or even that I think they will (more on that in a few minutes). I'm just saying, man, what will it look like if the Chiefs get aggressive a few times AND are doing the big move for a WR? In this scenario, KC obviously believes Williams is a game-changer at the NFL level and is taking a small 2022 hit to make 2023+ better. The defensive line still gets reinforced, but the reinforcements are all a shade worse than the sit-pat draft option. If you like Kingsley Enagbare or Josh PAscal more than Thomas, I get it and wouldn't quibble at one of those guys instead. Logan Hall, too. Pitre is such a screaming perfect fit for KC's D. Carter is a great physical talent you can dream about coaching up. Williams' utility is known and gives them a true RE option to pair against their higher-drafted bigger guy. Watson is a developmental corner.

I don't love it. I think Pitre makes the secondary a lot better and makes it easier to move on from Thornhill after 22. They have improved the defensive rotation, though one of the DEs would need to outperform expectations in Year 1 to get it to the same level as Scenario 1. In all, giving up the 2 extra selections in the top 4 rounds hurts the depth you can build, but I think it's more like what KC will do.

Scenario 3: Same movements as #2
1.13 | Jermaine Johnson II, DE, Florida State.
2.35 | Christian Watson, WR, North Dakota State.
2.50 | Sam Williams, DE, Ole Miss.
3.69 | Bryan Cook, S, Cincinnati.
3.85 | Martin Emerson, CB, Miss. State.
4.135 | Braxton Jones, T, Southern Utah

Scenario 3 Debrief:
This is the type of situation where I see KC paying the price to move up... if Johnson falls this far, I'd be shocked if KC isn't aggressively moving up. With this run, I take a risky but high upside WR in Watson (but you could sub in Pickens or Jahan Dotson or Tolbert or Metchie or Skyy Moore or really any of those tier 2 guys here if you prefer). The secondary reinforcements aren't flashy but are good fits.

In this one, I think the plan has to become adding either another safety or corner in free agency before the season. Ideally, it's someone who can handle the slot and let Sneed thriver on the outside. The DL gets a major boost and some potential star power in Johnson and Williams, and the OL gets another T option and potential long-term starter to develop.

Having completed the exercise and looking at the scenariors, I like the first one the most. But it really does come down to how the board breaks.

Older mocks
Spoiler!

[Reply]
kccrow 07:12 PM 12-31-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
and yet some of those guys are expected (at this point, and by who? drafturbators that get paid to prognosticate, so whatever) to go later. I like Williams, but nobody's got him going in the first, and some of the names there go much later.

I kind of zero in on DE at #31 (which is where PFN has us) because the 2nd seems to be a good spot for WR's.
Williams would be a top-15 pick if it weren't for the off-the-field issues in 2020 where he was charged with felony sexual battery (charges dropped 2 months later). How teams decide they feel about that situation will dictate his grade. He's 6'4" 265 and runs a 4.45 forty and just dropped 12.5 sacks in the SEC. Given he seems to have made some significant changes (I can only read and interpret), I'd fully take that chance at the end of round 1. That said, if the team feels he'll be there at the end of 2 or the end of 3 or wherever that might be, I think you take the kid in the spot.

We'll have to see where things shake out and who declares this year.

Obviously, you have Hutchinson, Ojabo, Karlaftis, and Thibodeaux rated as round 1 guys and I've seen Ebiketie, Johnson, and Thomas in that discussion. I'd say most of the rest of those guys are 2nd or 3rd rounders (smaller school guys like Fayad, Patchan, etc). So, really, the position looks really deep and you're not necessarily pegged to taking edge in 1.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 07:41 PM 12-31-2021
Originally Posted by kccrow:
Williams would be a top-15 pick if it weren't for the off-the-field issues in 2020 where he was charged with felony sexual battery (charges dropped 2 months later). How teams decide they feel about that situation will dictate his grade. He's 6'4" 265 and runs a 4.45 forty and just dropped 12.5 sacks in the SEC. Given he seems to have made some significant changes (I can only read and interpret), I'd fully take that chance at the end of round 1. That said, if the team feels he'll be there at the end of 2 or the end of 3 or wherever that might be, I think you take the kid in the spot.

We'll have to see where things shake out and who declares this year.

Obviously, you have Hutchinson, Ojabo, Karlaftis, and Thibodeaux rated as round 1 guys and I've seen Ebiketie, Johnson, and Thomas in that discussion. I'd say most of the rest of those guys are 2nd or 3rd rounders (smaller school guys like Fayad, Patchan, etc). So, really, the position looks really deep and you're not necessarily pegged to taking edge in 1.
Yeah not necessarily I agree; but I haven't had much luck if I wait until #63.

Of course, who knows how it will all shake out in reality. Just mock machining it I don't like my options by #63 for any sort of real impact at edge.
[Reply]
staylor26 09:42 AM 01-05-2022
Give me Jermaine Johnson or George Pickens at pick 32 :-)
[Reply]
The Franchise 01:20 PM 01-05-2022
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
KC
Drake Jackson
EDGE USC- Dude ran a 4.5. serious upside potential at Edge.
KC

Romeo Doubs
WR Nevada-Explosive WR with good size and length. Here's your #2 as Kelce ages and slows down-and eventually your #1 as Hill ages.
KC

Jerome Ford
RB Cincinnati-Veach once said he likes his RB's around 5-11, 220 and fast. Well, here ya go. Ford is like Kareem Hunt with 2 rockets up his ass.
KC

Smoke Monday
S Auburn-Jesus, can we finally get Sorensen outta here? Big hitting safety with athletic upside and a nasty disposition. Dirty who? Also, as a bonus, best name in football.
I'm good with those top three picks.

29. Jermaine Johnson
EDGE Florida State

61. Romeo Doubs
WR Nevada

93. Jerome Ford
RB Cincinnati

131.Yusuf Corker
S Kentucky

230. Josh Blackwell
CB Duke

249. Jean Delance
OT Florida
[Reply]
kccrow 07:34 PM 01-05-2022
NFL Mock Draft Database

Round: 1
Nakobe Dean LB | Georgia
Round: 2
Isaiah Foskey EDGE | Notre Dame
Round: 3
Romeo Doubs WR | Nevada
Round: 4
Max Mitchell OT | Louisiana-Lafayette
Round: 6
Abram Smith RB | Baylor
Round: 7
Jaylan Foster S | South Carolina
Cam Taylor-Britt CB | Nebraska
Charleston Rambo WR | Miami
Matthew Butler DL | Tennessee
Reed Blankenship S | Middle Tennessee State
[Reply]
Chris Meck 08:35 PM 01-05-2022
I liked this one quite a bit.

KC
Jermaine Johnson
EDGE Florida State-explosive edge rusher.
KC

Romeo Doubs
WR Nevada-good size, speed, and athleticism. Potential #1 WR.

KC
Jerome Ford
RB Cincinnati-a faster Kareem Hunt.

KC
Yusuf Corker
S Kentucky-a taller Honey Badger clone at 6'. Super versatile safety.

KC
Bubba Bolden
S Miami-Fl-6'3", 204 superior athletic talent. Goodbye Sorensen!

KC

Allie Green IV
CB Missouri- 6'3" corner, aggressive, physical player. Your next outside corner prospect.

That draft makes us bigger, faster, and more versatile athletically on defense and adds two explosive playmakers on offense.
[Reply]
kccrow 08:35 PM 01-05-2022
Tried moving around on Pro Football Network

Sent 29, 61, and a 2023 2nd to NE for 23, 87, and a 2023 3rd to select DE David Ojabo, Michigan. I tried to get to 21 but the Eagles wouldn't take it.
I traded down twice in the 3rd, sending 87 and a 2023 5th to CIN for 90 and 127, then sending 90 and 249 to TEN for 95 and a 2023 5th, so I really gave up 87 and 249 for 95 and 127.
I wasn't happy not addressing a couple positions and made another move, sending a 2023 4th and 230 to CHI for 147 and 188.

I ended up with:

23. David Ojabo, EDGE, Michigan
93. Isaiah Foskey, EDGE, Notre Dame
95. Verone McKinley, FS, Oregon
127. Tyler Goodson, RB, Iowa
131. Jeremy Ruckert, TE, Ohio State
147. Charleston Rambo, WR, Miami
188. Max Mitchell, OT, LA-Lafayette
[Reply]
kccrow 09:25 PM 01-05-2022
Interesting trade that I executed gives me food for thought...

1-29, 2-61, and 2023 1st to PIT for 1-17, 3-81, and 2023 3rd to draft WR Chris Olave (Jameson Williams went ahead of him at 13 as the 1st WR off the board4).

Would any offensive player make you jimp?
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 11:39 PM 01-05-2022
Originally Posted by kccrow:
Interesting trade that I executed gives me food for thought...

1-29, 2-61, and 2023 1st to PIT for 1-17, 3-81, and 2023 3rd to draft WR Chris Olave (Jameson Williams went ahead of him at 13 as the 1st WR off the board4).

Would any offensive player make you jimp?

I don’t think there’s an offensive player that would. If it weren’t such a deep defensive end draft, I’d say the right DE could make me jump.

MAYBE Jameson Williams. Maybe. His slight frame and lack of proven success vs press gives me concern.

As it is, there is likely to be a lot of talent available to the Chiefs at #32 in regards to DE.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 10:27 AM 01-11-2022
Updated the OP with my new mock.

I end up with two DEs, at least one of which should be able to play heavy snap counts Year 1, and who give me youth and productivity at low cost (hopefully) moving forwards. Love that. Really love that.

I add a larger playmaker at WR, who is versatile and can make RAC plays happen. I like it. Still would need a vet in FA to feel good about WR entering 2023.

I get a starter-caliber LB, and a really promising development swing tackle. Very happy with those.

Not happy with the DB additions. Though I like both guys I land and would cream my pants at adding Bolden in the 7th, I would like to add a S I'm more comfortable sliding into a key role. Guess I'd be trying to make a FA addition to replace Mathieu (or retaining him) in this scenario.

I really like the Hendershot... shot. The Chiefs have extra 7ths and those are perfect fits to throw at someone like him. Talented, with questions. Very little risk (and likely a pick that is roster fodder, anyway).
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:28 AM 01-11-2022
So I somehow ended up with 10 draft picks after a trade down (not sure what PFF is doing with the Chiefs in the late rounds; I just kept having to make picks - maybe comp stuff?)

And this draft just ended up weird as hell but I like it anyway. I went full Veach and targeted one area and went HAM.

Myjai Sanders -- Edge, Cin
Bernhard Raimann -- T, Central Michigan
Travon Walker -- Edge, Georgia
Brenton Cox Jr. -- Edge, Florida
Romeo Doubs -- WR, Nevada
Percy Butler, S -- Lousiana
Mike Rose, LB -- Iowa State
Josh Whyle, TE -- Cincinatti
Ainias Smith, WR -- Texas A&M
Amari Gainer, LB -- FSU

Just a batty draft, really. But PFF loved it, my lowest grade on any pick was an A- and I got an A total.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:29 AM 01-11-2022
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Updated the OP with my new mock.

I end up with two DEs, at least one of which should be able to play heavy snap counts Year 1, and who give me youth and productivity at low cost (hopefully) moving forwards. Love that. Really love that.

I add a larger playmaker at WR, who is versatile and can make RAC plays happen. I like it. Still would need a vet in FA to feel good about WR entering 2023.

I get a starter-caliber LB, and a really promising development swing tackle. Very happy with those.

Not happy with the DB additions. Though I like both guys I land and would cream my pants at adding Bolden in the 7th, I would like to add a S I'm more comfortable sliding into a key role. Guess I'd be trying to make a FA addition to replace Mathieu (or retaining him) in this scenario.

I really like the Hendershot... shot. The Chiefs have extra 7ths and those are perfect fits to throw at someone like him. Talented, with questions. Very little risk (and likely a pick that is roster fodder, anyway).
So we both discovery Doubs simultaneously, eh? Well that's crazy.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 12:30 PM 01-11-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
So we both discovery Doubs simultaneously, eh? Well that's crazy.
He's been in my heads since crow first talked about him early last year. There's a highlight thread of him in here somewhere.
[Reply]
mkp785 06:50 PM 01-11-2022
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
I don’t think there’s an offensive player that would. If it weren’t such a deep defensive end draft, I’d say the right DE could make me jump.

MAYBE Jameson Williams. Maybe. His slight frame and lack of proven success vs press gives me concern.

As it is, there is likely to be a lot of talent available to the Chiefs at #32 in regards to DE.
Jameson Williams now, if he drops to our (hopefully) 32 spot? We could let him sit and gain a great prospect for 2023 or maybe late 22.....

(Or our 2nd rounder, not sure if he goes that far as he was projected top 20 before this)
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 07:47 PM 01-11-2022
Originally Posted by mkp785:
Jameson Williams now, if he drops to our (hopefully) 32 spot? We could let him sit and gain a great prospect for 2023 or maybe late 22.....

(Or our 2nd rounder, not sure if he goes that far as he was projected top 20 before this)

I’m interested in Williams and/or Metchie shares. Especially since I expect them to sign a free agent WR who can handle #2 duties.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 84
< 1234 56781454 > Last »
Up