ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 25 of 29
« First < 152122232425 26272829 >
Media Center>So....Dune 2020. Cool?
Amnorix 03:03 PM 08-19-2019
I learned today for the first time that a remake of the awesome book (and decidedly less awesome early 80s movie) Dune is being made, and is currently in post-production with a release date of December 18, 2020.

The cast includes many I don't know, but the ones I do know seem excellent for their roles. It's damn near a Marvel reunion...

Jason Mamoa as Duncan Idaho (the swordmaster of House Atreides)

Josh Brolin as Gurney Halleck (weaponsmaster of House Atreides, played memorably (and surprisingly) by Patrick Stewart in the original movie

Stellan Skarsgard as Baron Harkonnen

Dave Bautista (better known as Drax the Destroyer) as "Beast" Rabban, the nephew of Harkonnen

The most critical guy -- the one playing Paul is unknown to me. https://www.imdb.com/name/nm3154303/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t3

This film is also only going to cover the first half of the book, which is good. It's really not possible to cover the whole thing in one 2 or 3 hour movie.

Anyway -- I love the book and a really good film would be great. What say you about all this news? Or am I just the last to known (as would be typical, to be honest!)
[Reply]
Frazod 11:38 PM 01-19-2022
You know, in hindsight, we probably should have had this conversation in another thread. We just basically spoiled the fuck out of part 2.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 08:27 AM 01-20-2022
I’m loving it, though.

I’ve had this conversation in my head with myself. I first read Dune as a teen (like Fraz) and I think all of the deeper stuff Herbert was getting into was a little bit beyond my world view. Re-reading as an adult, it rings true to me.

Young Duncan: Frazier POV
Older Duncan: DJ POV
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:27 AM 01-20-2022
I will note that your screen name is a spoiler in its own right.

I knew after the first one that he was coming back somehow - he just wasn't important enough to the book to yield a screen name. And even in Messiah I knew it was going to go the way it went because - again - screen name. He wouldn't....

So damn you, Duncan. Man that's a weird name, though. All the rest of them seem appropriately spacey but Duncan Idaho? Dahell is the story there?

I started the Legends Trilogy while waiting for my Children of Dune hold to come up. Worth a shit? Seems alright but also seems like fairly straightforward sci-fi stuff. Not typically my jam.
[Reply]
Frazod 10:39 AM 01-20-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
I started the Legends Trilogy while waiting for my Children of Dune hold to come up. Worth a shit? Seems alright but also seems like fairly straightforward sci-fi stuff. Not typically my jam.
I read them, and they are decent. But just decent. Not nearly as good as the "House" books (trilogy set a couple of decades prior to the events of Dune). All of these books were based on Frank's notes, but in that series, the authors are dealing with familiar characters who are far more fleshed out, and it was clearly easier to write about them. That was not the case with the Legends series, which was set thousands of years in the past.

I would compare it to Game of Thrones after Benioff and Weiss ran out of actual book material, minus the fuck-it-let's-wrap-shit-up-and-go-home attitude. The authors gave a crap and did their best, but it was lacking.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 12:33 PM 01-20-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
I will note that your screen name is a spoiler in its own right.

I knew after the first one that he was coming back somehow - he just wasn't important enough to the book to yield a screen name. And even in Messiah I knew it was going to go the way it went because - again - screen name. He wouldn't....

So damn you, Duncan. Man that's a weird name, though. All the rest of them seem appropriately spacey but Duncan Idaho? Dahell is the story there?

Yeah; I’ve thought the same, and frequently. Just chalk it up to him being from a planet with more traditional names. If Jessica can stick around as a viable name option.

I don’t think I had read anything after Dune when I picked it. I had just read the House Atreides prequel and Dune.
[Reply]
MMXcalibur 10:59 AM 01-27-2022
Blade Runner 2049 quickly became my favorite movie, so I absolutely had to check out Dune given it was Denis Villeneuve's handywork.

Damn glad I did.

Got those same vibes I did watching 2049 and can't wait for Part Two.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 07:16 PM 03-10-2022
LOVELY FEYD

A beginning is a very delicate time.

[Reply]
Frazod 09:10 PM 03-10-2022
I take it the blonde is Irulan?
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 09:15 PM 03-10-2022
yep
[Reply]
Frazod 09:21 PM 03-10-2022
Yummy.

Any word on who's playing the Emperor?
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 10:24 PM 03-10-2022
it would be all over my sietchposting group if it was out
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:47 PM 03-13-2022
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
yep
That’s excellent casting. Pretty much identical to my mental impression of the character through the first book.

By Children of Dune she’d have become more weathered and less vapid, but that’s exactly how I envision her during book 1. Maybe a little less angular but damn close.
[Reply]
sully1983 09:25 PM 03-15-2022
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
LOVELY FEYD

A beginning is a very delicate time.

Pugh is one of the most talented young actresses out there right now (imo she has classic movie star looks and is probably the best actress featured in crying scenes. She was incredible in that overly long & overrated horror film Midsommar, the gripping spy mini series The Little Drummer Girl and the criminally underrated Netflix film Outlaw King. Not to mention very beautiful to look at. I can't believe that old hipster douche bag Zach Braff (responsible for writing, directing and starring in the most annoyingly pretentious abortion of a shit movie called Garden State gets to bang her every night. Lucky bastard.

Between this news of her getting a role in a part 2 of Denis Villenueve's DUNE film AND the upcoming Christopher Nolan film about the J. Robert Oppenheimer , its definitely exciting times for her and her already impressive filmography.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 11:02 AM 03-18-2022
Face of the Tleilaxu spider

[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 12:19 PM 05-12-2022

‘Dune Part 2’: Christopher Walken To Play The Emperor In Sequel For Legendary And Warner Bros. https://t.co/vAgRshaNzG

— Deadline Hollywood (@DEADLINE) May 12, 2022

[Reply]
Page 25 of 29
« First < 152122232425 26272829 >
Up