ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 18
< 123 456713 > Last »
Media Center>Which Great Movie Do You Actually Hate?
Frazod 04:55 PM 02-21-2019
This video popped up on my YouTube feed. Seemed like a good basis for a thread.

The five films discussed in the video, panned by various Brits to the general disdain of other Brits off camera, are The Shining, Forrest Gump, the Lord of the Rings Trilogy, Gone With the Wind and The Blair Witch Project.

I think the first three guys are mostly nuts, wholeheartedly agree regarding GWTW, and argue that Blair Witch was never great in the first place.

So what great movie(s) do you hate? I'll chime my picks in later.
[Reply]
Fishpicker 10:39 PM 02-21-2019
Black Panther. I finally saw it because I got in for free. bad CGI, forgetable dialogue and a lot of it was nonsense.
[Reply]
Dayze 10:41 PM 02-21-2019
Star Wars
Superman
Clerks
[Reply]
srvy 10:47 PM 02-21-2019
Originally Posted by Frazod:
Some others:

Moonstruck. Holy shit. What a horrible, incoherent, stupid mess. I practically had to be restrained to stay in my seat, and the only reason I didn't leave is that I hadn't driven to theater. A scenery-chewing, screaming Nicholas Cage, a befuddled Cher dumping her boyfriend for him, and some old Italian guy walking his dogs shouting out "a la luna!" That's all I remember. Wish I could block it out.

Once Upon A Time In America. Another overrated turd that I had never seen and wish I still hadn't seen. Loved the ending where DeNiro rapes his childhood sweetheart and then gets blitzed in an opium den. That's nice. Good ol' Noodles.

Thin Red Line. I lasted for about an hour of this war free war movie. Tall waiving grass intermixed with actors staring into space with endless, droning voice over narrations. Although you can find people online who will, for whatever reason, like anything, I've never met anyone in real life who saw this that didn't hate it. A critical masterpiece for some reason.

Signs. I've discussed this one enough over the years that I don't feel the need to rehash it yet again. It's dumb, and it sucks.
Thin Red Line I rented from netflix watched about 30 minutes and ejected it. Watched the other movie sealed and mailed that pos back.
[Reply]
Fishpicker 10:48 PM 02-21-2019
Originally Posted by Otter:
Forest Gump

I still say that whore stuck forest with baby that wasn't his and I've never been a Tom Hanks fan then he managed to top it off with that stupid slow, southern drawl of an accent.
yeah. I enjoyed it at the time but it doesn't hold up at all. The parts where Gump interracts with historical figures are terrible.

[Reply]
srvy 10:49 PM 02-21-2019
Originally Posted by Fishpicker:
Black Panther. I finally saw it because I got in for free. bad CGI, forgetable dialogue and a lot of it was nonsense.
Didnt live up to the critics hype. I finished it but felt like what the hell was all the hoopla.
[Reply]
Frazod 10:49 PM 02-21-2019
Originally Posted by srvy:
Thin Red Line I rented from netflix watched about 30 minutes and ejected it. Watched the other movie sealed and mailed that pos back.
The day after I watched it I was discussing it with my boss. I said "I quit watching after an hour." He said, "I wish I'd quit watching after an hour." :-)
[Reply]
CoMoChief 11:33 PM 02-21-2019
Thin Red Line was boring as hell.
[Reply]
Michelangelo 11:34 PM 02-21-2019
The Pirates of the Caribbean movies
[Reply]
CoMoChief 11:34 PM 02-21-2019
Every Star Wars movie except the original 3

Rogue One was alright I guess.
[Reply]
Frazod 11:36 PM 02-21-2019
Originally Posted by CoMoChief:
Every Star Wars movie except the original 3

Rogue One was alright I guess.
The Solo movie was awesome. The only one that manages to capture the swashbuckling fun of the original.
[Reply]
CoMoChief 11:37 PM 02-21-2019
This was discussed a while back in another thread..but the "WeHateMovies" podcasts are fucking hilarious.

The one on Tango n Cash and the Hulk Hogan WWF movie "No Holds Barred" podcasts had me in tears.
[Reply]
CoMoChief 11:39 PM 02-21-2019
Originally Posted by Frazod:
The Solo movie was awesome. The only one that manages to capture the swashbuckling fun of the original.
I wasn't that big of a fan of the Solo movie.

Chewbacca made that movie, if it weren't for him, the movie would have been crap JMO.

It wasn't as bad as the 3 prequels or the ep 7-8 by any means...those were a whole new level of suck.
[Reply]
Frazod 11:40 PM 02-21-2019
Originally Posted by CoMoChief:
This was discussed a while back in another thread..but the "WeHateMovies" podcasts are fucking hilarious.

The one on Tango n Cash and the Hulk Hogan WWF movie "No Holds Barred" podcasts had me in tears.
Tango and Cash was absolutely horrible - the only other big budget/big stars action movie that I've seen that was comparable to it was Batman and Robin.

I saw Batman and Robin in a theater in New York. When it was over, I stood up and yelled "THAT SUCKED!" and the people around me starting clapping and cheering. :-)
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 11:49 PM 02-21-2019
I think people are being too generous with the word 'great' but, since that's the case, here are a few that I either hate or think are wildly overrated.
  1. Guess Who's Coming To Dinner (1967) - Ham handed preaching with some bad acting. I don't hate it, but I think it's a mediocrity boosted unfairly because of the subject matter
  2. Easy Rider (1969) - It felt dated the first time I saw it, and it hasn't improved since
  3. Annie Hall (1977) - I don't think I can stand anything Allen has ever done
  4. Terms of Endearment (1983) - Words aren't sufficient to explain how much I hate this movie
  5. 'The Blair Witch Project' (1999) - And **** you all for sticking us with found footage ever since
  6. Avatar (2009) - Dances with Aliens. Without the CG, this movie would have died the death it otherwise deserved
  7. Interstellar (2014) - The time loop made an already tedious movie a complete absurdity
  8. Mad Max: Fury Road (2015) - Sorry, and I know I'm in the minority, but I still consider it to be pretty much one long scene with an completely unbelievable female heroine

I love the topic, by the way. It got me to look back at lists of highly rated movies, and to give me some watching ideas for the future
[Reply]
Frazod 12:02 AM 02-22-2019
Originally Posted by Just Passin' By:
I think people are being too generous with the word 'great' but, since that's the case, here are a few that I either hate or think are wildly overrated.
  1. Guess Who's Coming To Dinner (1967) - Ham handed preaching with some bad acting. I don't hate it, but I think it's a mediocrity boosted unfairly because of the subject matter
  2. Easy Rider (1969) - It felt dated the first time I saw it, and it hasn't improved since
  3. Annie Hall (1977) - I don't think I can stand anything Allen has ever done
  4. Terms of Endearment (1983) - Words aren't sufficient to explain how much I hate this movie
  5. 'The Blair Witch Project' (1999) - And **** you all for sticking us with found footage ever since
  6. Avatar (2009) - Dances with Aliens. Without the CG, this movie would have died the death it otherwise deserved
  7. Interstellar (2014) - The time loop made an already tedious movie a complete absurdity
  8. Mad Max: Fury Road (2015) - Sorry, and I know I'm in the minority, but I still consider it to be pretty much one long scene with an completely unbelievable female heroine

I love the topic, by the way. It got me to look back at lists of highly rated movies, and to give me some watching ideas for the future
Never saw the first four on your list. I've always despised Woody Allen, even before the whole banging his stepdaughter thing came out. My equivalent to Terms of Endearment was Steel Magnolias. Basically watched it to get laid. It wasn't worth it.

Agree on the next three. Particularly Interstellar. I will NEVER pay to watch another Christopher Nolan movie. I thought there'd be no way he could fuck up a historical piece like Dunkirk, but no, he turned that into an artsy-fartsy disjointed mess as well. He can't just make a movie - he has to continually one-up himself by making each one more needlessly convoluted than the last. He's the Wile E. Coyote of Hollywood.

Loved Fury Road, though.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 18
< 123 456713 > Last »
Up