ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>James Cook, RB, Georgia (3rd round comp pick)
staylor26 12:38 PM 01-26-2022
Brother of Dalvin Cook.

I would love to draft this guy at the end of day 2.

After seeing the success that McKinnon has had in the playoffs, I think this offense could really use a young back with a similar skill set on a rookie deal.
[Reply]
htismaqe 04:21 PM 01-28-2022
We have zero use for a power back. None.
[Reply]
CatfishBob2 04:37 PM 01-28-2022
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
We have zero use for a power back. None.
You're right, I mean why run a big RB in short yardage situations when we can run double reverse pirouette to the OL

Just because we haven't involved a particular type of player in the past doesn't mean we can't use them. The offense should be constantly evolving. I remember the popular opinion in the room was we didn't need an RB because we have a Mahomes. Now idk we would be where we are without our run game
[Reply]
Chris Meck 04:11 AM 01-29-2022
Originally Posted by kccrow:
I like him, alot actually.

I think what separates the "kind of small" from the rest is speed and Cook has it whereas a guy like Clyde does not. McKinnon ran a 4.41 in the 40 and 6.83 in the 3-cone at 5'9" 209. Those are WR numbers and I think Cook is going to run similarly.

What I like about Cook's resume is that they used him in a lot of ways I could envision Reid using him, where they moved him around the formation either as a motion decoy or to flex him out at WR. He got open as a receiver out of the backfield a lot more than Georgia's idiot QB made use of (so many times taking dumb sacks instead of dumping the ball to a wide-open Cook).

I never envision Cook as a guy that can be a lead back, but he has what you want as that change of pace runner and I think this offense has been missing that aspect for a while now.

There are other backs I like a lot more if you're looking for a starter, but not many I like as a change of pace. I would keep an eye on Zonovan Knight out of NC State though. I don't know if he's quite as fast as Cook but they are very similar.
I like quite a few backs in this draft, actually. I like Knight too, or Rashaad White, Jerome Ford, Cook, Sincere McCormick, Breece Hall...
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 08:48 AM 01-29-2022
Cook is a really fluid and dynamic receiver. At 5-11, it's not like he's short of stature (even if an inch or so shorter than listed). He just needs to get the weight tipping in over 2 bills. Do that without dropping speed, and I think he's a viable every down back option.

Of course, if you're interested in taking a RB with long-speed, there are some guys who already have the density we're talking about there (Zonovan Knight, Jerome Ford) who just have questions about their ability as receivers.

KC could easily head that route if they work out the player and he shows good hands and feel for the pass game.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:26 PM 01-31-2022
Originally Posted by CatfishBob2:
You're right, I mean why run a big RB in short yardage situations when we can run double reverse pirouette to the OL

Just because we haven't involved a particular type of player in the past doesn't mean we can't use them. The offense should be constantly evolving. I remember the popular opinion in the room was we didn't need an RB because we have a Mahomes. Now idk we would be where we are without our run game
Power running is about your offensive line and your RBs vision.

CEH could absolutely be a damn effective runner between the tackles provided that the OL does what it needs to do. For whatever reason, the staff elected to use him on stretch plays and outside zone instead.

Unless your RB is Dontari Poe, he's just not going to move a 300 lb defensive tackle. It rarely happens. The power game is a function of your interior lineman far more than it is some slow plodding 'heavy' back.

Besides, Michael Burton weighs damn near 250 lbs and if you need a strong guy to smash into a pile of bodies, he can absolutely do that.

There's no reason to go wasting a roster spot on a big back, let alone a draft pick.
[Reply]
kcbubb 05:33 PM 01-31-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Just absolutely zero interest in a power back.

Give me speed. Power is for teams that don't have Patrick Mahomes. If we need a Defender hit in the mouth, that's what the OL is for.
Are you telling me that if we could have Jonathan Taylor instead of CEH that would be bad? Come on! And we need players to take the pressure off of mahomes, especially when we have a lead. Our running game needs to be more than a compliment when we have a big lead. We need those 10 minute drives to burn clock.
[Reply]
CatfishBob2 07:39 PM 01-31-2022
Power running is about your offensive line and your RBs vision.

CEH could absolutely be a damn effective runner between the tackles provided that the OL does what it needs to do. For whatever reason, the staff elected to use him on stretch plays and outside zone instead.

Unless your RB is Dontari Poe, he's just not going to move a 300 lb defensive tackle. It rarely happens. The power game is a function of your interior lineman far more than it is some slow plodding 'heavy' back.

Besides, Michael Burton weighs damn near 250 lbs and if you need a strong guy to smash into a pile of bodies, he can absolutely do that.

There's no reason to go wasting a roster spot on a big back, let alone a draft pick.
Since when are all power backs slow and plodding? Did you not watch the game yesterday? The OL did there thing for the RBs. The RBs played very well. We went away from the running game and put the game solely on Pat's arm and now we won't see them again till next September.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:19 PM 02-01-2022
Originally Posted by CatfishBob2:
Since when are all power backs slow and plodding? Did you not watch the game yesterday? The OL did there thing for the RBs. The RBs played very well. We went away from the running game and put the game solely on Pat's arm and now we won't see them again till next September.
And how would drafting a RB we don't hand the ball to change that in any way?
[Reply]
kcbubb 05:53 PM 02-01-2022
And how would drafting a RB we don't hand the ball to change that in any way?
I think that’s the point. We need to be able to hand the ball to the back when we have a big lead. Not saying that Andy is always gonna do it but we saw him run more downhill with Williams.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up