ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>How big of a need is OT?
The Franchise 12:00 PM 01-26-2022
In particular RT.

Niang is going to take a while to come back from injury and I’m not 100% sold that he’ll ever be a 17 game guy.

Remmers is doing who knows what at this point.

And Wiley has been admirable but he’s not a RT that you’re setting and forgetting in this offense.

Should we let Veach grab one in the later rounds since he has success there? Should it be a higher pick around the 2nd to 4th rounds?
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:58 AM 01-28-2022
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
I'm kind of shifting into the 'just sign Brown' camp.

We could use the cap space, and do you really want to try again? We've shown that we can win with him, and that Mahomes has gotten used to his play style. Just move on.
Yep.

DJLN convinced me that signing Brown long-term is the better choice.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 10:21 AM 01-28-2022
Originally Posted by OKchiefs:
Wouldn’t mind a swing tackle option who could fill in at LT in a pinch, still don’t think we have a great option there
That's Niang though, right? If the problem is durability, having him be the back up swing tackle certainly seems like the role for him.
[Reply]
O.city 10:30 AM 01-28-2022
We're in that spot now where you just sit in the draft and see what really good football player falls because other teams are obsessed with "measurables".

Inevitably, it happens every year. Sit at the end of the first and wait. If it dosn't work out, trade back or out or up.
[Reply]
O.city 10:31 AM 01-28-2022
For instance, if there's someone that falls thru the cracks at T and is there that you think could develop into a legit LT, take him. Let him marinate if you wanna just tag OBJ.
[Reply]
Wilson8 09:26 PM 02-01-2022
Would be very, very, surprising if Orlando Brown not Chiefs LT next season.

From KSHB.com story talking about Brett Veach's recent comments about Orlando Brown -

Originally Posted by :
He figures to remain in Kansas City — whether it’s via signing a long-term deal, which would give the Chiefs salary-cap flexibility in coming seasons, or via the franchise tag, a costly move but one that takes long-term risk off the table — based on General Manager Brett Veach’s comments Tuesday during a video conference with reporters.
Originally Posted by :
“I think he’s done a great job at left tackle,” Veach said. “Certainly, (there’s) work to get him done and we expect him to be our left tackle moving forward.”
Originally Posted by :
“Obviously, we feel like, on the whole, our offensive line played outstanding this year,” Veach said. “That’s a credit to (Offensive Line) Coach (Andy) Heck and our coaching staff. I thought Orlando did a great job.”
Originally Posted by :
Veach also lauded Brown’s locker-room fit.

“He’s another unique character,” Veach said. “When you talk about a culture and you talk about a guy who does everything the right way, Orlando Brown’s in that category. The guy never misses a practice. He’s as dependable as there is.”
Originally Posted by :
Veach said he believes there is mutual interest in working out a new contract with Brown.

“I think we’ve been looking for a tough, rugged, dependable left tackle to protect Pat Mahomes,” Veach said. “When you have that scenario play out where the player loves the team and the team loves the player, things are always more likely to work out.”
Originally Posted by :
Veach added, “The trade happens and I think everything he wanted from this experience in regards to playing left tackle, playing in Kansas City, playing with Pat Mahomes — now, I haven’t asked him this directly — but I would venture to say that it’s been exactly what he’s wanted.”
Originally Posted by :
Veach said decisions on the future of strong safety Tyrann Mathieu and left tackle Orlando Brown Jr. “will be at the top of the list” when it comes to offseason priorities.
https://www.kshb.com/sports/gm-brett...moving-forward
[Reply]
Wilson8 09:44 PM 02-01-2022
Mike Remmers played week 1 (1 snap), week 4 (1 snap), week 6 (82 snaps), and week 7 (72 snaps).

He was originally put on IR with a knee injury, but there were reports that back problem. also continued to bother him.

In 2020 Mike missed 3 games with back problems.

He will be 33 years old next season.

Maybe the Chiefs re-sign him, but probably not.
[Reply]
Wilson8 10:20 PM 02-01-2022
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
I'm no Wiley fan, but you could bring him back as competition with Niang. Re-sign Wanegho, I think they must think they have something there as they've kept him around. So...you kind of need one, I think.
The Prince (Wanogho) is already under contract for next year at $825,000.

Chiefs might have to pay Andrew Wiley at least 2 to 3 million to come back.

Last year the Chiefs signed Wiley as a RFA original round tender, which was $2,133,000. The Chiefs then forced a new contract with Andrew, which was $920,000. Andrew played in 13 games and started 7. He also had 3 post-season starts. Prior to this season, Andrew has had 35 game starts.

We all like to bitch about Andrew because we have seen his past struggles, but he has also helped the team.
[Reply]
Wilson8 10:34 PM 02-01-2022
Just to clarify. Not wanting Andrew Wiley as a starter. Just saying he filled in when needed and it would not be a bad idea to bring him back as a backup.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up