ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 148 of 173
« First < 4898138144145146147148 149150151152158 > Last »
Media Center>Must Watch Series
Buehler445 08:54 AM 04-26-2012
All this talk about series, how network TV Sucks, and how hard it is to find quality shows, and some excellent shows that fly under the radar, I need a comprehensive review of all the series I need to see.

For good entertainment, I would be willing to buy DVD sets. But I've recently picked up HBOGO by kiping it from my parents, and recently got Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Here is a listing of shows that I currently own or have seen all the episodes of. If it isn't on the list, just assume I haven't seen it.

Spoiler!

Here is a listing of shows that I'm currently watching
Spoiler!

Here is a listing of shows on my list to watch (mostly due to this thread)
Spoiler!

I work a fuckton, so it is hard for me catch a series while it is on to get it on the DVR, but I recognize the entertainment value and am willing to go after the Must See shows. Accordingly, I'm not necessarily looking for anything that is still running. I'm up for watching stuff that has run its course.

So what say you, Planet? Which shows should I see?

UPDATED for the shows I've seen recently.
[Reply]
HemiEd 12:33 PM 05-02-2023
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
I enjoyed the first couple of seasons - then it kinda turned into a basic procedural. But it was at least an "America, **** Yeah!" sort of action procedural. And it came out at a time when every single show on television was steeped in moral ambiguity.

The Last Ship has none of that. There are the good guys and the bad guys and it's pretty obvious from the jump who is who. No heel turns to speak of, unnecessary twists. Just good ol' American horsepower kicking some ass.

It's pretty brainless entertainment but I mostly enjoyed it.
Thank you for your insight, I agree with you.

I did find that later in the series, they injected a lot of new twists/characters that made it very interesting to the point I had a hard time turning it off for the day. In fact, early on in the series I was concerned the plot may have been a result of the recent pandemic.

It is right in the wheelhouse of what I enjoy, as Sci Fi, Gore and police shows have no interest for me. Of course, being a Navy vet probably has some serious impact on my interest level. :-)
Also, the timetable of when it was filmed/produced, was prior to a lot of industry requirements for diversity, sexual and racial issues we see in the latest stuff that is often a turn off for this old fart.
[Reply]
Buehler445 01:12 PM 05-02-2023
Taking a run at The Last Kingdom. Man that's a slog. And the pacing is somehow simultaneously dog-slow and lightning fast.

I mean 5 episodes in he'll have gone from an 8 year old second in line saxon heir to an adult Dane warrior back to a saxon elder who went from dating his childhood 'co-slave' to married to some fringe nobility to a father and then divorced. I mean damn guys. How are you gonna coax 5 seasons and a movie out of this?

The problem is that 90% of it seems to happen offscreen. On screen there have been like 3 critical conversations and a couple of battles. Then a lot of horseriding.

I don't know if its actually any good - I just find the subject matter interesting.
I struggle to determine if it's good. At least as a historical production. The history is pretty hit or miss.

If you divorce yourself from the actual historical figures, it's pretty good. At least to the extent the characters became compelling. Ultimately, I ended up really giving a shit about the characters and the (historically inaccurate) story.

And the battle scenes are good. Really good. Worth the wait.

In short I came for the assling insults, stayed for the characters.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:35 PM 05-02-2023
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
I struggle to determine if it's good. At least as a historical production. The history is pretty hit or miss.

If you divorce yourself from the actual historical figures, it's pretty good. At least to the extent the characters became compelling. Ultimately, I ended up really giving a shit about the characters and the (historically inaccurate) story.

And the battle scenes are good. Really good. Worth the wait.

In short I came for the assling insults, stayed for the characters.
The Arseling insults just started.

So I think it may be picking up a little steam...

Will this have sufficient gratuitous nudity? It's been very sparse to this point...
[Reply]
Buehler445 01:41 PM 05-02-2023
The Arseling insults just started.

So I think it may be picking up a little steam...

Will this have sufficient gratuitous nudity? It's been very sparse to this point...
I don't remember the frequency, but yes. Titties.
[Reply]
HemiEd 05:58 AM 05-03-2023
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
I watched the first episode of Lucky Hank with Bob Odenkirk. It’s sort of a comedy drama and I enjoyed it.

I had no idea 1899 got cancelled. I enjoyed that show.

Mind Hunter is a show that comes to mind for a show getting cancelled unexpectedly for me. Though it lasted two seasons not one it’s another example of getting excited about a show only to have it end.
I am keeping up with Lucky Hank and becoming a big Bob Odenkirk fan. Recently watched season 6 of Better call Saul.

Cancelling 1899 makes no sense to me either. :-)
[Reply]
scho63 06:32 PM 05-03-2023
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
I watched the first episode of Lucky Hank with Bob Odenkirk. It’s sort of a comedy drama and I enjoyed it.

I had no idea 1899 got cancelled. I enjoyed that show.

Mind Hunter is a show that comes to mind for a show getting cancelled unexpectedly for me. Though it lasted two seasons not one it’s another example of getting excited about a show only to have it end.
I started watching from S1 E1 and around E4 I kept missing them.

want to get caught up as I really like it. Another show that contains a lot of originality.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:56 PM 05-03-2023
Yeah - The Citadel is good shit.

A) Stanley Tucci rocks
B) Priyanka Chopra is just laughably attractive.

The premise is just so ridiculously over the top but there's a slight twist on it that is pretty damn good.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:59 PM 05-03-2023
Oh, and I don't think Richard Madden is a very good actor but this is an audition reel for the next James Bond for him. Right age, right look, can do athletic and suave.

I don't know if he has the acting chops for it, but it's not like all the Bonds have been great actors. This seems like it might be a no brainer.
[Reply]
Buehler445 10:22 PM 05-03-2023
Oh, and I don't think Richard Madden is a very good actor but this is an audition reel for the next James Bond for him. Right age, right look, can do athletic and suave.

I don't know if he has the acting chops for it, but it's not like all the Bonds have been great actors. This seems like it might be a no brainer.
I don't think he's horrible. There are some really goddamned good performances that are on film these days, so it isn't really fair to compare what he's doing to Succession or whatever. Plus, Gossling, who can act, was really meh in Gray man, also directed by the Russos post Infinity War.

So yeah, fucking put his ass as Bond and make movies and shit.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:09 AM 05-05-2023
Catching up on the Presige TV podcasts with Bill Hader and they do a weekly episode recap.

Yeah - Hader HATES Barry. "He's thoughtless and selfish and just not very bright. He sees things and he acts without considering how those actions haunt people..."

The only silver lining I see here is that he seems to dislike Fuches even more and blames Fuches leaning into Barry's issues, exacerbating them and using him for his own purposes once he realized he had a father-figure level influence over Barry.

So it may end up Fuches that ends up with a big shitburger to eat, but I still don't see a happy ending for Barry.

Spoiler!

[Reply]
BigBeauford 11:44 AM 05-05-2023
Catching up on the Presige TV podcasts with Bill Hader and they do a weekly episode recap.

Yeah - Hader HATES Barry. "He's thoughtless and selfish and just not very bright. He sees things and he acts without considering how those actions haunt people..."

The only silver lining I see here is that he seems to dislike Fuches even more and blames Fuches leaning into Barry's issues, exacerbating them and using him for his own purposes once he realized he had a father-figure level influence over Barry.

So it may end up Fuches that ends up with a big shitburger to eat, but I still don't see a happy ending for Barry.

Spoiler!
He's definitely retconned Barry from Season 1 and 2,who was a much more meticulous and cunning character. Barry didn't make too many mistakes until Hader decided he was disgusted with audiences rooting for him.

That said, Season 4 has still been on enjoyable.
[Reply]
Pepe Silvia 11:54 AM 05-05-2023
Originally Posted by BigBeauford:
He's definitely retconned Barry from Season 1 and 2,who was a much more meticulous and cunning character. Barry didn't make too many mistakes until Hader decided he was disgusted with audiences rooting for him.

Barry hasn’t been the same since Fuches outed him.
[Reply]
Bob Dole 02:56 PM 05-05-2023
I don't know that it is a "must watch", but Sanctuary on Netflix is another bizarro Japanese series about Sumo wrestling. And Season one ending in a cliffhanger indicates there is a season two. It was fascinating, but might not fit a lot of people's taste.
[Reply]
lewdog 04:17 PM 05-06-2023
Tried to get into the Godfather of Harlem but lost interest around episode 5.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 12:10 PM 05-09-2023
Originally Posted by BigBeauford:

This weeks episode was soooooooo heavy handed.

Bill. Dude. We get it.
[Reply]
Page 148 of 173
« First < 4898138144145146147148 149150151152158 > Last »
Up