ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 88 of 1209
« First < 38788485868788 89909192981381885881088 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Fire Me Boy! What's For Dinner? Thread
Buehler445 08:45 AM 07-15-2015
Since the other one got too big, let's keep the food truck rolling. Whacha got?

Vol 2. http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=285408
[Reply]
Donger 05:18 PM 01-14-2016
Originally Posted by BucEyedPea:
Don't know why I had a hankerin' for this. I've made and eaten it once before my entire life. That was years ago on Halloween when my kid was somewhere between 5-7 years old—because it had the sound of "ghoul" in it. I don't recall it being like what I created now.

When I went lookin' for a recipe, I kept getting pictures of a soupy dish which confused me. So I finally read up about it and watched an entire video and found out that gooey gummy mass of stewed, reddish-brown chunks of beef served over buttered noodles, actually isn't really Hungarian goulash. It's actually a more soupy dish in Hungary, 'er between a soup and a stew. Also, it is not served over noodles. It does have these mini egg-noodle-like dumplings added to it called csipetkecooked into it. I made those too. These were fast and easy. Then, the dish is cooked into over an open fire in Hungary. Well, I did not cook it over an open fire...though I did manage a grease fire in my cast iron pan. Perhaps that qualifies?

I had some sweet authentic Hungarian paprika and had to grind my caraway seeds. Caraway seeds?! I thought. I had no idea that was in the dish too. So the dish was pungent and had a little heat but not much. The sour cream and dill had a nice cooling effect that provided a nice contrast. I have to admit, I wondered about the dill as a garnish too. It worked though. The dill was great.

So I followed up with a Hungarian cuke salad with dill and finished off looking for a Hungarian dessert. When I saw this apple toasted walnut raisin strudel that used phyllo dough, I saw I could use up my leftover phyllo dough from New Years so it wouldn't dry-out and spoil.

Everthing was delicious...but that dessert was to die for. Just wish I had some ice-cream. That will be next time. I will be making these again.

BTW that goey gummy mass of paprika stewed meat you see over noodles called goulash is supposed to be the Austrian version of the same dish...it's just not Hungarian.

Here are the pics of it. Those little wrinkly-looking things are the csipetke.
(Yes Lew I know you don't like soups.)
Use this BEP. Trust me:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/19954/hungarian-goulash-i/

I use petite sirloin. Instead of water, I use 1 cup of beef broth and 1/4 cup or 1/2 cup of red wine. Serve over egg noodles.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 05:19 PM 01-14-2016
Originally Posted by Donger:
Use this BEP. Trust me:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/19954/hungarian-goulash-i/

I use petite sirloin. Instead of water, I use 1 cup of beef broth and 1/4 cup or 1/2 cup of red wine. Serve over egg noodles.
That's not Hungarian goulash. It's an Austrian take-off. I saw it after I made mine but it's not the real thing. Though I'm sure it's still good.
Hungarian also doesn't have red wine but that video I saw used it but the chef said the real thing doesn't.
[Reply]
Donger 05:21 PM 01-14-2016
That's not Hungarian goulash. It's an Austrian take-off. I saw it after I made mine but it's not the real thing. Though I'm sure it's still good.
Hungarian also doesn't have red wine but that video I saw used it but the chef said the real thing doesn't.
They used to be part of the same empire! I really don't care if it's authentic. It's fabulous.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 05:22 PM 01-14-2016
They used to be part of the same empire! I really don't care if it's authentic. It's fabulous.
I said "Though I'm sure it's still good." I was looking for the real thing.
[Reply]
Mr. Flopnuts 05:33 PM 01-14-2016
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
I'll have to try to remember next time I'm in Springfield.
S Campbell, super easy to find. Right side of the road when you get off 60, right next to a used car luxury car lot.
[Reply]
Donger 05:38 PM 01-14-2016
I said "Though I'm sure it's still good." I was looking for the real thing.
Enjoy your trip to Hungary. Watch our for the gypsies.
[Reply]
scho63 05:45 PM 01-14-2016
Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts:
They're ****ing unreal...
Nothing more painful than coming to this thread when you are starving and seeing that photo! :-)
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 05:54 PM 01-14-2016
Enjoy your trip to Hungary. Watch our for the gypsies.
I didn't even have to leave the house —well except for a few ingredients to get the real thing. It was awesome. I am sure your version is just as good...that's what I had before.

Glad I learned something new.
[Reply]
Fish 07:23 PM 01-14-2016
They're fucking unreal...
I don't believe you and the only way to convince me is to mail me some.

:-)
[Reply]
Mennonite 02:19 PM 01-16-2016
I'm cutting up a pound and a half of chicken. Dousing it with ranch dressing, bacon and shredded cheddar. Then baking it. Maybe some garlic bread on the side.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 08:06 AM 01-17-2016
Found some cured and smoked pork jowls at the store yesterday. Bought 'em all, cut off the skin, and vacuum sealed them. Most are in the freezer. No idea what I'm gonna do with the first use - maybe jowl carbonara?
[Reply]
Skyy God 11:54 AM 01-20-2016
City Butcher. Look them up. I was ****ing BLOWN AWAY. Completely unexpected. I tried to upload a picture of them but couldn't. I'll try another way.
Their pork belly is great too.
[Reply]
Skyy God 11:55 AM 01-20-2016
Last night: chipotle shrimp tacos with guac, salsa verde, and spinach.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:55 AM 01-20-2016
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
Found some cured and smoked pork jowls at the store yesterday. Bought 'em all, cut off the skin, and vacuum sealed them. Most are in the freezer. No idea what I'm gonna do with the first use - maybe jowl carbonara?
I have some jowl bacon - holy crap it's good.
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 12:02 PM 01-20-2016
I made beef stew and dumplings last night. Tonight's the leftovers.
[Reply]
Page 88 of 1209
« First < 38788485868788 89909192981381885881088 > Last »
Up