ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 258 of 341
« First < 158208248254255256257258 259260261262268308 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Off Season Lets Talk Guns, Part 2
HonestChieffan 11:58 AM 01-23-2011
Been a while since we had a guns n' ammo discussion.

Some of you are AR shooters Im sure. Im looking at a Colt 6920. Will be my first AR. Picked up a Glock this fall and really enjoy shooting it. Any feedback on that weapon?

Anyone else been in a buy/sell/trade mood with hardware?
[Reply]
GloryDayz 11:09 AM 11-18-2020
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
The ones I got from Palmetto were .60. They're gone now.
Again, it's just crazy. It's almost like, if you didn't already have a huge cache or have a reloading setup (and tons of stocked supplies), you limited to buying what rounds are out there, then buying a platform that can shoot it.

If we ever come out of this, I can assure you that I won't allow this to happen again. From getting into the reloading business and stocking up on all the supplies needed for reloading, to making sure I have many times more rounds than I have today, I'll be better able to deal with the next time the world goes through this crazy bullshit. And that's a serious "if", because I don't think this is just a COVID thing. If it is, fine, and things will normalize, but I think there's more too it than COVID.

I'd love to talk to the owners of placed like SG Ammo to hear their take on why their shelves are empty.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 11:16 AM 11-18-2020
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
Again, it's just crazy. It's almost like, if you didn't already have a huge cache or have a reloading setup (and tons of stocked supplies), you limited to buying what rounds are out there, then buying a platform that can shoot it.

If we ever come out of this, I can assure you that I won't allow this to happen again. From getting into the reloading business and stocking up on all the supplies needed for reloading, to making sure I have many times more rounds than I have today, I'll be better able to deal with the next time the world goes through this crazy bullshit. And that's a serious "if", because I don't think this is just a COVID thing. If it is, fine, and things will normalize, but I think there's more too it than COVID.

I'd love to talk to the owners of placed like SG Ammo to hear their take on why their shelves are empty.
Worth a read. It still doesn't really explain why we only see ammo show up for a few minutes, and is small quantities, but a good article. If they're all working three shifts and producing as much as they ever have, I sure think we'd see more instances of it showing up to buy.

https://www.recoilweb.com/why-is-the...ne-162059.html
[Reply]
Dunerdr 03:10 PM 11-18-2020
If a guy were to build an ar/10 or 15 with mostly white tail hunting in mind while considering that .223 and .308 fly off the shelves what round would y’all have a guy look at that would a. Do the job, and b. Not require a fist fight or perfect timing to get a hold of? I don’t do a ton of shooting really no need to shoot a ridiculous distance, but would like the option to possibly elk hunt with this down the line.
[Reply]
OKchiefs 04:07 PM 11-18-2020
Originally Posted by Dunerdr:
If a guy were to build an ar/10 or 15 with mostly white tail hunting in mind while considering that .223 and .308 fly off the shelves what round would y’all have a guy look at that would a. Do the job, and b. Not require a fist fight or perfect timing to get a hold of? I don’t do a ton of shooting really no need to shoot a ridiculous distance, but would like the option to possibly elk hunt with this down the line.
From my limited experience .308 seems to be more readily available than .223. Plus I believe the Ar-10 can also take the 7.62 which seems to be easily available. I'm not a hunter, but I believe I've read that .223 is too small a round in certain states with which you can hunt game animals?

Edit:: Also, I can't imagine you'd want to or be able to elk hunt with .223.
[Reply]
Megatron96 04:38 PM 11-18-2020
You can get an AR-10 chambered in just about any typical elk cartridge these days, though you might have to order it vs. just finding one on a shelf somewhere. Off the shelf, I'd probably try to get a .308 Win model.

However,

From what my more experienced elk-hunting buddies have told me you don't want to go any smaller than a .270 Win. 150 grain bullet. And you can get an AR-10 chambered in that caliber, from what I've read.

If money for rounds isn't a concern, then you might consider one chambered in .338 Lapua (I think). Certainly more than enough bullet, and due to price per round pre-COVID, it might stay on the shelves longer than .308.

On a personal note, if you think your shots at elk would be under 250 yards, you might consider the new .350 Legend cartridge, which I do know is an AR-10 chamber offering, as one of my buddies picked one up early this year.

The .350 Legend has slightly better ballistics than similar weight .30-30 rounds, so you know it will kill elk at least as well, but it will be slightly faster, hit a little harder, and will be more accurate than a lever gun.

But it's not a long range cartridge, so you'd have to limit shots to a maximum of 250 yds, and best ballistics are had at around 150 yds or shorter.
[Reply]
Ballistic 05:34 PM 11-18-2020
My guy owns a local gun store. Ammo orders backed up til April 2021 or so.

I’m optimistic this’ll loosen up mid year or next fall. Too much $$$ in firearms industry and too many lobbyists. Politicians only have so much power. Lot of kabuki theater about gun control. And we spend way too much on guns ammo etc due to panic (toilet paper anyone? Lol) In the end, they bend knee to money.
[Reply]
Dunerdr 06:44 PM 11-18-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
You can get an AR-10 chambered in just about any typical elk cartridge these days, though you might have to order it vs. just finding one on a shelf somewhere. Off the shelf, I'd probably try to get a .308 Win model.

However,

From what my more experienced elk-hunting buddies have told me you don't want to go any smaller than a .270 Win. 150 grain bullet. And you can get an AR-10 chambered in that caliber, from what I've read.

If money for rounds isn't a concern, then you might consider one chambered in .338 Lapua (I think). Certainly more than enough bullet, and due to price per round pre-COVID, it might stay on the shelves longer than .308.

On a personal note, if you think your shots at elk would be under 250 yards, you might consider the new .350 Legend cartridge, which I do know is an AR-10 chamber offering, as one of my buddies picked pone up early this year.

The .350 Legend has slightly better ballistics than similar weight .30-30 rounds, so you know it will kill elk at least as well, but it will be slightly faster, hit a little harder, and will be more accurate than a lever gun.

But it's not a long range cartridge, so you'd have to limit shots to a maximum of 250 yds, and best ballistics are had at around 150 yds or shorter.
Thanks I’ll look into it! I’ve yet to go elk hunting it’s a bucket list thing with my dad and son. We’ve currently got bolt guns in 30.06 and .270 and I’ll hand my 30.06 down to my son who’s currently only 7 but it’s my excuse to build one of these guns lol,
[Reply]
vailpass 07:00 PM 11-18-2020
Originally Posted by kepp:
Some 22lr in stock - https://www.wikiarms.com/group/22LR
Sweet, thanks man! I’ve been looking for 22LR, just got a box of Federal, 800 rounds, for $100 from the link you provided.
[Reply]
Buehler445 07:14 PM 11-18-2020
Thanks I’ll look into it! I’ve yet to go elk hunting it’s a bucket list thing with my dad and son. We’ve currently got bolt guns in 30.06 and .270 and I’ll hand my 30.06 down to my son who’s currently only 7 but it’s my excuse to build one of these guns lol,
The answer is both.

AR -10 is a lot heavier longer gun. It will kill your elk. But it won’t do a lot of the fun stuff a smaller lighter AR-15. AR 10 upper and lowers are also more expensive.

If it were me I’d just build a 10” AR 15 with an SBA Tactical pistol brace before those things go away and just use your bolt action to kill the elk.

THEN

Build another one. For some reason.

:-)
[Reply]
Dunerdr 11:16 PM 11-18-2020
The answer is both.

AR -10 is a lot heavier longer gun. It will kill your elk. But it won’t do a lot of the fun stuff a smaller lighter AR-15. AR 10 upper and lowers are also more expensive.

If it were me I’d just build a 10” AR 15 with an SBA Tactical pistol brace before those things go away and just use your bolt action to kill the elk.

THEN

This is an intriguing thought.
[Reply]
Dunerdr 11:23 PM 11-18-2020
The answer is both.

THEN

If I did a pistol I think I’d have to do .300 blackout and suppress it. Any thoughts on what Kenny would be ideal? Palmetto has 6.7.5 ,8 and 10.5. How do I know wich one is suppressor capable for when I get the stamp?
[Reply]
Megatron96 11:25 PM 11-18-2020
I just realized that I think I was in error about the .350 Legend being built on an AR-10 platform. I think it's actually built on an AR-15 platform, because the cartridge specs are similar in length and diameter to a .223 Rem, though it's not in any way formed on the same brass.

But essentially the .350 L is an AR-15 that shoots hot loaded .30-30 rounds.
[Reply]
Megatron96 11:27 PM 11-18-2020
If I did a pistol I think I’d have to do .300 blackout and suppress it. Any thoughts on what Kenny would be ideal? Palmetto has 6.7.5 ,8 and 10.5. How do I know wich one is suppressor capable for when I get the stamp?

What's a "Kenny"?
[Reply]
Dunerdr 11:34 PM 11-18-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
What's a "Kenny"?
Not sure how it auto corrected barrel to Kenny 🤷*♂️
[Reply]
Buehler445 01:27 AM 11-19-2020
Suppressors are above my pay grade. Other than it takes a year plus to get the stamp.

That would be a great build. I really want one but it’s probably not in the cards financially (read: wife would murder my ass. Probably with the gun but without ammo)

However, if you currently do not own an AR, I’d start with a more standard one. In terms of flexibility, cost and parts availability - especially now I’d stick to a 223 rig. And maybe you want to go with a 16” carbine length. I like the pistol lengths better, they fit in vehicles better, are lighter and are just goddamned fun to shoot, especially at varmints.

Going with a Cadillac rig like you described may not be advisable for your first build. Hopefully prices come down. Soon, and that will be a good look.

JMO.
[Reply]
Page 258 of 341
« First < 158208248254255256257258 259260261262268308 > Last »
Up