ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 23 of 63
« First < 131920212223 2425262733 > Last »
Media Center>CBS: Star Trek
keg in kc 03:47 PM 11-02-2015

Originally Posted by :
The Next Chapter of the Legendary “Star Trek” TV Franchise Will Premiere on the CBS Television Network, Then Move to CBS All Access Digital Subscription Service

Alex Kurtzman, Co-Writer and Producer of the Blockbuster Films

“Star Trek” and “Star Trek Into Darkness,” to Executive Produce

CBS Studios International to Distribute the Series Globally

For Television and Multiple Platforms

STUDIO CITY, CALIF. AND NEW YORK, N.Y. – Nov. 2, 2015 – CBS Television Studios announced today it will launch a totally new “Star Trek” television series in January 2017. The new series will blast off with a special preview broadcast on the CBS Television Network. The premiere episode and all subsequent first-run episodes will then be available exclusively in the United States on CBS All Access, the Network’s digital subscription video on demand and live streaming service.

The next chapter of the “Star Trek” franchise will also be distributed concurrently for television and multiple platforms around the world by CBS Studios International.

The new program will be the first original series developed specifically for U.S. audiences for CBS All Access, a cross-platform streaming service that brings viewers thousands of episodes from CBS’s current and past seasons on demand, plus the ability to stream their local CBS Television station live for $5.99 per month. CBS All Access already offers every episode of all previous “Star Trek” television series.

The brand-new “Star Trek” will introduce new characters seeking imaginative new worlds and new civilizations, while exploring the dramatic contemporary themes that have been a signature of the franchise since its inception in 1966.

Alex Kurtzman will serve as executive producer for the new “Star Trek” TV series. Kurtzman co-wrote and produced the blockbuster films “Star Trek” (2009) with Roberto Orci, and “Star Trek Into Darkness” (2013) with Orci and Damon Lindelof. Both films were produced and directed by J.J. Abrams.

The new series will be produced by CBS Television Studios in association with Kurtzman’s Secret Hideout. Kurtzman and Heather Kadin will serve as executive producers. Kurtzman is also an executive producer for the hit CBS television series SCORPION and LIMITLESS, along with Kadin and Orci, and for HAWAII FIVE-0 with Orci.

“Star Trek,” which will celebrate its 50th anniversary in 2016, is one of the most successful entertainment franchises of all time. The original “Star Trek” spawned a dozen feature films and five successful television series. Almost half a century later, the “Star Trek” television series are licensed on a variety of different platforms in more than 190 countries, and the franchise still generates more than a billion social media impressions every month.

Born from the mind of Gene Roddenberry, the original “Star Trek” series debuted on Sept. 8, 1966 and aired for three seasons – a short run that belied the influence it would have for generations. The series also broke new ground in storytelling and cultural mores, providing a progressive look at topics including race relations, global politics and the environment.

“There is no better time to give ‘Star Trek’ fans a new series than on the heels of the original show’s 50th anniversary celebration,” said David Stapf, President, CBS Television Studios. “Everyone here has great respect for this storied franchise, and we’re excited to launch its next television chapter in the creative mind and skilled hands of Alex Kurtzman, someone who knows this world and its audience intimately.”

“This new series will premiere to the national CBS audience, then boldly go where no first-run ‘Star Trek’ series has gone before – directly to its millions of fans through CBS All Access,” said Marc DeBevoise, Executive Vice President/General Manager – CBS Digital Media. “We’ve experienced terrific growth for CBS All Access, expanding the service across affiliates and devices in a very short time. We now have an incredible opportunity to accelerate this growth with the iconic ‘Star Trek,’ and its devoted and passionate fan base, as our first original series.”

“Every day, an episode of the ‘Star Trek’ franchise is seen in almost every country in the world,” said Armando Nuñez, President and CEO, CBS Global Distribution Group. “We can’t wait to introduce ‘Star Trek’s’ next voyage on television to its vast global fan base.”

CBS All Access offers its customers more than 7,500 episodes from the current television season, previous seasons and classic shows on demand nationwide, as well as the ability to stream local CBS stations live in more than 110 markets. Subscribers can use the service online and across devices via CBS.com, the CBS App for iOS, Android and Windows 10, as well as on connected devices such as Apple TV, Android TV, Chromecast, Roku players and Roku TV, with more connected devices to come.

The new television series is not related to the upcoming feature film “Star Trek Beyond,” which is scheduled to be distributed by Paramount Pictures in summer 2016

[Reply]
Valiant 04:46 PM 09-30-2017
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
I'm already bored and uninterested in the setting of this series in terms of the timeline. Grateful that it's in the prime universe, but it may as well be in the JJ Abrams universe with the technology anachronisms. At least they TRIED to talk about how limited the technology was in Enterprise. Here I can't tell if it's the 23rd century or the 24th century.

Prequels suck. They don't explore strange new worlds or seek out new life and new civilizations. They're basically there to make money. That's about it.

I think it DOES shed some light on why CBS was so pissed off about Axanar, though. Axanar was doing shit they wanted to do (the pre-Kirk Klingon War). Wouldn't surprise me if they completely lifted sections and plot ideas from that Prelude to Axanar video. If this happens it will remind me a bit of when the creator of Babylon 5 went to Paramount with the mapped out Babylon universe, they said no to his show idea, but then created DS9 instead which ripped off enormous segments of that Babylon script. Granted, DS9 is infinitely better than Babylon 5, but it's still kind of shady.
The fuck it is. Season 2 thru 4 is the greatest sci-fi story arc ever.
[Reply]
Nickhead 03:29 AM 10-01-2017
prequels are okay as long as the new version does not surpass the old. like star wars rogue one. it didn't look 'newer', where as episodes 1,2, and 3 set the franchise back.

this show reeks of overkill. :-)
[Reply]
unlurking 07:17 PM 10-01-2017
The Orville is more Trek than this piece of garbage. They have totally shit all over the klingons. Great special effects, but everything else about it sucks.
[Reply]
Frazod 10:52 PM 10-03-2017
Just finished the third episode. It's getting better.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 11:12 PM 10-03-2017
Originally Posted by Frazod:
Just finished the third episode. It's getting better.
I think so, too.

You had the science explorers vs military angle with Stamets bitching about his work being co-opted by Lorca and Starfleet as a whole, kind of a fish out of water comedic angle with Cadet Tilly bunking with Michael, the aforementioned rookie officer acting counter to typical tropes in confidently facing down the Klingon and the Starfleet higher ups doing shady shit (Lorca and Landry capturing the mutant carnivorous Tardigrade). On the shadiness note, I got distracted keeping up with the Las Vegas news Monday morning, so I couldn't discern whether or not just about everything involving Lorca's dealing with Michael were all deception or manipulation. Especially, for example, his light sensitivity.

Dunno where they are going with the "spore" storyline given the implications it would have on storytelling, but it was nice to see on screen Rekha Sharma again even though you know she'll probably be axed to give Michael a role to assume on the Discovery.

Edit: So I figured there'd be some handwringing about the tone of the third episode concerning the scenes on the U.S.S. Glenn, but it wasn't the first time there was a more family unfriendly episode. Context is for Kings reminded me a lot of DS9's Empok Nor episode. As I rewatch that episode now and look at the Memory Alpha article on it, I wasn't shocked to see Bryan Fuller got the story credit.
[Reply]
Rausch 07:17 AM 10-04-2017
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:

I just can't buy into it.
I'm not liking what I'm hearing.

Apparently there's a boatload of political BS attached to the show (not by political minded viewers but the cast itself) but I'll wait until the season is over, binge, and give it a chance.

It will be entertaining or it won't and that's all that matters...
[Reply]
Frazod 11:12 AM 10-04-2017
I just wish they'd set this after the NG era. Everything is so completely out of step with canon that it's just ridiculous. I just try to ignore that, but it's hard. :-)

I think the reason this last episode was better was because it only had the shitty new Klingons in it for about 10 seconds.
[Reply]
unlurking 04:19 PM 10-04-2017
I just wish they'd set this after the NG era. Everything is so completely out of step with canon that it's just ridiculous. I just try to ignore that, but it's hard. :-)

I think the reason this last episode was better was because it only had the shitty new Klingons in it for about 10 seconds.
lol

Sad when you improve a Star Trek episode about the Klingon War by removing the Klingons. :-)
[Reply]
Frazod 08:01 PM 10-04-2017
Originally Posted by unlurking:
lol

Sad when you improve a Star Trek episode about the Klingon War by removing the Klingons. :-)
I liken the Klingons in Discovery to Sofia Coppola in Godfather Part III. No matter who else is in the scene or what's going on, all you can think about is how absolutely awful they are.
[Reply]
unlurking 10:04 PM 10-04-2017
I liken the Klingons in Discovery to Sofia Coppola in Godfather Part III. No matter who else is in the scene or what's going on, all you can think about is how absolutely awful they are.
:-)

It truly is jarring. Whoever said it earlier is right on about this being why they went after Axanar. I've seen the prelude twice now, and would take the full version over Discovery any day. Even with the super low FX budget.
[Reply]
notorious 10:12 AM 10-05-2017
I really don't know why it would be hard to create a new race to fight.

They really could have avoided using Klingons, but I am willing to see where they take it.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 11:44 PM 10-08-2017
Liked tonight's episode a lot and seemed pretty true to the idea of Star Trek in general.

Spoiler!

[Reply]
notorious 11:10 AM 10-11-2017
Decent show. Worth watching unless you require it to be like the old Star Trek.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 11:14 AM 10-11-2017
Originally Posted by notorious:
Decent show. Worth watching unless you require it to be like the old Star Trek.
Sunday's episode was like 'old Trek' though.
[Reply]
notorious 11:18 AM 10-11-2017
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
Sunday's episode was like 'old Trek' though.
I haven't watched the latest yet, I finished the episode about spores.
[Reply]
Page 23 of 63
« First < 131920212223 2425262733 > Last »
Up