ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 110 of 173
« First < 1060100106107108109110 111112113114120160 > Last »
In Memoriam>Good news [Lonewolf Ed]
Lonewolf Ed 04:51 PM 01-24-2015
I thought I'd start a new thread for updates on my cancer treatments and whatever else is going on, since the bad news thread title is misleading now.

My last treatment went better than the previous two and my chest wound is still closed up, which is a good thing. My arm is getting slightly stronger and I hope to resume lifting dumbbells next week. I need to build up my strength again, because I am going back to Denmark in May and I am extremely pumped about that! I'd like to be able to schlepp my own checked bag and not have someone else lifting it for me.

It's going to be a fabulous trip, 6 weeks and a couple of days for me. My brother is going along as well as my friends Chipp and Rod. Chipp is staying close to 3 weeks and has not gone with me over there since 2006 so he is also very pumped to be going. It will be Rod's first trip and he will be there for 2 weeks. I will get to be a tour guide. Also, I am throwing a party in my favorite pub of all, the wonderful, ever-magnificent Irish House in Aalborg on May 7th. The owner and I are friends and he will give me a little discount. We'll have Irish stew and brews in the cellar and I hope to have around 25 family and friends there. I might bill it as the "Fu** Cancer Party." A few months back, I was not sure I'd ever be able to go over to Denmark again or if I'd even be alive, but the cancer hasn't gotten me yet. I'm doing a number on it, instead.

Some other cool things I plan to do when I am back in my ancestral lands include a wine tasting in a castle, touring another castle and the northernmost manor home in the country, and visiting Skagen, the top of Denmark, where you can stand on a little patch of beach and have one foot in one sea and one in another. They also have a brewpub up there I am wanting to check out. I will start and end my trip in Aalborg and spend 5 weeks in an apartment I rent that is very close to the beach. I can hardly wait for May 4th to roll around!
[Reply]
Lonewolf Ed 06:21 AM 08-27-2016
Originally Posted by Dagnabit:
That medication sounds horrendous.
Oxiliplatin is very much a horrendous thing! I think it is also what makes my salivary glands in the back of my jaw go berserk when I take the first couple of bites of most any food. A few weeks back, I bit into a pear off of my pear tree that was not yet ripe and it felt like someone punched me in the jaw below my ear. Usually, the reaction is like I bit into the sourest of lemons, even though whatever I am eating tastes like it normally does. Chocolate is one of the worst things that triggers the reaction. That reaction, thankfully, is also not bad now, but it will also last longer as my treatments go on, and on, and on...

As I have mentioned before, I lost count of how many treatments I have had, but if I have not reached 50 of them yet, it's close. They ought to give me a 100 dollar gift card to Best Buy or something, right?
[Reply]
Bwana 06:23 AM 08-27-2016
Ed, you're a fricking rock star in my eyes buddy. Glad you were able to enjoy a cold glass of orange juice.
[Reply]
Sweet Daddy Hate 06:23 AM 08-27-2016
Originally Posted by Lonewolf Ed:
Oxiliplatin is very much a horrendous thing! I think it is also what makes my salivary glands in the back of my jaw go berserk when I take the first couple of bites of most any food. A few weeks back, I bit into a pear off of my pear tree that was not yet ripe and it felt like someone punched me in the jaw below my ear. Usually, the reaction is like I bit into the sourest of lemons, even though whatever I am eating tastes like it normally does. Chocolate is one of the worst things that triggers the reaction. That reaction, thankfully, is also not bad now, but it will also last longer as my treatments go on, and on, and on...

As I have mentioned before, I lost count of how many treatments I have had, but if I have not reached 50 of them yet, it's close. They ought to give me a 100 dollar gift card to Best Buy or something, right?
They ought to give you a endless supply of Boulevard beer for putting up with this shit!
[Reply]
Lonewolf Ed 06:26 AM 08-27-2016
They ought to give you a endless supply of Boulevard beer for putting up with this shit!
I am not a big fan of the Boulevard beers. Something in the yeast strain they use has an aftertaste I don't really like. Now, the KC Bier Company Dunkel would work! Carlsberg doesn't export their Jacobsen Brown, so the local dunkel is what I'd choose.
[Reply]
Sweet Daddy Hate 06:28 AM 08-27-2016
I am not a big fan of the Boulevard beers. Something in the yeast strain they use has an aftertaste I don't really like. Now, the KC Bier Company Dunkel would work! Carlsberg doesn't export their Jacobsen Brown, so the local dunkel is what I'd choose.
When did this company form, and do they distribute?
[Reply]
Lonewolf Ed 06:32 AM 08-27-2016
When did this company form, and do they distribute?
http://kcbier.com/

I have had the dunkel at the two Austin's Bar and Grills in Olathe. They have a German restaurant in KC, MO, but the menu looks like mostly bar snacks. I am not sure how long they have been around, but Austin's started carrying the dunkel a year or two ago. I have also had it in Barley's Brewhaus in Overland Park.
[Reply]
BlackHelicopters 08:24 AM 08-27-2016
Ed
You have defined courage for all of us here at CP.
Lesser men may not have made it this far.
Thank you for the inspiration.
[Reply]
patteeu 08:31 AM 08-27-2016
It may not seem like much to those who are not in my shoes, but I am actually joyful that I am going to be able to have a big COLD glass of orange juice today with my breakfast. The oxiliplatin has not given me lasting cold sensitivity yet, but it is cumulative, so after a few more treatments, it may stay with me constantly. Drinking or eating anything cold when I have the sensitivity is very unpleasant. Think of a mouthful of burrs or tiny cacti in your mouth and throat. Touching anything cold, such as the glass that I poured my juice into, drains the heat from my fingers and makes it feel like I've gotten frostbite. I have to run hot water over my hands because waiting on my blood flow to warm me up again takes too long.

Before cancer, I certainly did enjoy my cold orange juice, but it wasn't something I thought about, being able to drink it that way. Now, I don't take it for granted. When it gets so I can no longer have it, then I'll go back to room temperature cranberry juice, which I also prefer cold, but it is a bit better than tolerable when it is not cold. Warm orange juice, though... forget it!

Now, if I *ever* get off the sodding xarelto and can have grapefruit juice again, that first big cold glass might just make me JIMP.
I wonder what effect, if any, miracle fruit tablets would have. Have you ever tried them?
[Reply]
Lonewolf Ed 09:08 AM 08-27-2016
Originally Posted by patteeu:
I wonder what effect, if any, miracle fruit tablets would have. Have you ever tried them?
I have not, and doubt it would do anything for me. It sounds so weird; my mouth reacts as if what I am eating is sour, but whatever I am eating tastes like it should. Banana tastes like banana, chocolate tastes like chocolate, etc. What I have discovered is that if what I eat is dry or has an intense flavor, that makes the salivary glands activate faster and that is what makes the ones in the back of my mouth go crazy. If I eat egg whites first, then it is less intense. Once I have had a couple of bites of anything, then I can eat the rest of my meal with no stamping of the feet, crossing of the eyes and groaning in pain.
[Reply]
Sweet Daddy Hate 09:22 AM 08-27-2016
http://kcbier.com/

I have had the dunkel at the two Austin's Bar and Grills in Olathe. They have a German restaurant in KC, MO, but the menu looks like mostly bar snacks. I am not sure how long they have been around, but Austin's started carrying the dunkel a year or two ago. I have also had it in Barley's Brewhaus in Overland Park.
The last time I visited KC, it had really changed in terms of more businesses and growth.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 09:24 AM 08-27-2016
Ed, you're an inspiration to us all. You are awesome!
[Reply]
Lonewolf Ed 04:52 PM 08-29-2016
No chemo for me today. My blood draw showed my white cells and neutrophils are very low, so my immune system is weak and I can't handle chemo now. I go back on September 7th. My class reunion is the 9th and 10th, so if I am able to go, no beer for me. Oh, well.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 05:19 PM 08-29-2016
No chemo for me today. My blood draw showed my white cells and neutrophils are very low, so my immune system is weak and I can't handle chemo now. I go back on September 7th. My class reunion is the 9th and 10th, so if I am able to go, no beer for me. Oh, well.
your going to be back drinking beer whenever you want soon.:-)
[Reply]
Meatloaf 05:19 PM 08-29-2016
Ok, Ed, time to focus on getting that immune system up to snuff! You indeed are an inspiration. Good thoughts and prayers for you and your immune system!!!
[Reply]
GloryDayz 05:38 PM 08-29-2016
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
your going to be back drinking beer whenever you want soon.:-)
This.... (But with "You're" instead of "your") :-)
[Reply]
Page 110 of 173
« First < 1060100106107108109110 111112113114120160 > Last »
Up