ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 408 of 934
« First < 308358398404405406407408 409410411412418458508908 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Investing megathread extravaganza
DaFace 11:23 AM 06-27-2016
A place to talk about investing stuff.
[Reply]
Stewie 01:49 PM 09-25-2020
401k doesn't matter since you don't have decisions to make about individual stocks. I have a 401k and a Roth. I treat those differently than my TD Ameritrade account.

There are myriad stocks that have a "buy" rating from my advisors. It's at this point in time that they don't advise buying stocks because the overall market is not moving in the right direction. That could change in a few days.

I've learned to play the middle 80% of the market. Don't buy bottom feeders and don't try to pick the top. When to buy and when to sell are critical. That's where professionals come into play. They do market analysis for a living. I don't.

Good investing!
[Reply]
SupDock 02:09 PM 09-25-2020
Originally Posted by Stewie:
401k doesn't matter since you don't have decisions to make about individual stocks. I have a 401k and a Roth. I treat those differently than my TD Ameritrade account.

There are myriad stocks that have a "buy" rating from my advisors. It's at this point in time that they don't advise buying stocks because the overall market is not moving in the right direction. That could change in a few days.

I've learned to play the middle 80% of the market. Don't buy bottom feeders and don't try to pick the top. When to buy and when to sell are critical. That's where professionals come into play. They do market analysis for a living. I don't.

Good investing!

Definitely, but in the long term, passive strategies tend to outperform active strategies.

Is your managed account doing better than your retirement accounts?

I'm often tempted to take a more hands on approach, but haven't yet.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 02:48 PM 09-25-2020
Originally Posted by SupDock:
Definitely, but in the long term, passive strategies tend to outperform active strategies.

Yup, you can't out predict the market. It's been stated here before that trying to time the market doesn't work to your advantage over regular methodical investing.
[Reply]
Stewie 03:16 PM 09-25-2020
Originally Posted by SupDock:

I'm a unique case. The company I worked for matched 401k contributions with stock. They also offered a stock buying program and I participated.

Needless to say I owned a bunch of company stock. There have been two buyouts since 2015 that put the price of the stock through the roof (and were sold).

I guess you could say the 401k is passive and the stock buying part that went to TD Ameritrade is passive. I didn't actively trade the stock.

Since then my active trading has done much better than my 401k and better than most benchmarks. No fund fees either.

Good investing!
[Reply]
lewdog 09:29 PM 10-05-2020
Any good long term buys right now?

I’ve been analyzing lots of stocks the past few days and nothing looks great for buy and hold.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 03:07 AM 10-06-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:

I’ve been analyzing lots of stocks the past few days and nothing looks great for buy and hold.
I decided to get into the Electric vehicle market over the last 60 days. I believe over the next 20 years the Internal combustion engine will be obsolete. California has already mandated that by 2035 there will be no new car sales with ICE's. Therefore Ive bought:

TSLA
WKHS
SHLL which just became (HYLN) after the merger yesterday

And the charging station companies:

BLNK
SBE

I like HYLN's concept of thaking the drive train from an existing semi and replacing it with an electric system. It saves existing fleets tons of money over purchasing new Electric semi's

WKHS will blow up if it gets the USPS contract and I think Trump will unleash the funds for USPS before the election.

I'm holding these long term, at least 5 years and not going to worry about what happens between now and then.
[Reply]
lewdog 07:35 AM 10-06-2020
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
I decided to get into the Electric vehicle market over the last 60 days. I believe over the next 20 years the Internal combustion engine will be obsolete. California has already mandated that by 2035 there will be no new car sales with ICE's. Therefore Ive bought:

TSLA
WKHS
SHLL which just became (HYLN) after the merger yesterday

And the charging station companies:

BLNK
SBE

I like HYLN's concept of thaking the drive train from an existing semi and replacing it with an electric system. It saves existing fleets tons of money over purchasing new Electric semi's

WKHS will blow up if it gets the USPS contract and I think Trump will unleash the funds for USPS before the election.

I'm holding these long term, at least 5 years and not going to worry about what happens between now and then.
Too many players for the same technology in that market. It’s mostly speculating at this point.

Any good blue chip stocks for long plays? Intel and Cisco are on my radar for beaten down but didn’t pass all the tests yet.

I did add some of LUV. I see it surviving this and possibly buying out others. It’s shown plenty of support in a turbulent sector.
[Reply]
Abba-Dabba 06:27 AM 10-09-2020
Originally Posted by RubberSponge:
I am really down with a pigs go to slaughter approach on this through the year.

I don't see any real need to sell out. With the markets ability to rebound from COVID and NAIL being at over 90some in late Feb. all the way down to 6 in Mar. My greed can't help but let me think that it could be 60 in Oct.
Probably out of NAIL today.

It was a great ride. 6.90 to 60.00. More happy that my timeline was pretty much spot on rather than any return.

What else should I look at to reposition the money?
[Reply]
wutamess 06:33 AM 10-09-2020
Originally Posted by RubberSponge:
Probably out of NAIL today.

It was a great ride. 6.90 to 60.00. More happy that my timeline was pretty much spot on rather than any return.

What else should I look at to reposition the money?
Don't think it'll keep going up anymore? I keep kicking myself for buying and selling for quick profits since in at $9.

I missed the 30-45 jump.

Told myself to buy it and just let it sit for a while.

Your thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Abba-Dabba 08:20 AM 10-09-2020
Originally Posted by wutamess:
Don't think it'll keep going up anymore? I keep kicking myself for buying and selling for quick profits since in at $9.

I missed the 30-45 jump.

Told myself to buy it and just let it sit for a while.

Your thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I do think it can grow more by looking at the charts right now. I see no reason why it can't get back to where it was at pre-covid by sometime next year.

I'm not out of it yet, but am really wanting to take my money.

[Reply]
scho63 10:51 AM 10-09-2020
Originally Posted by scho63:
One of my best friend's has the following 3 stocks as his largest holdings, and I mean large!

1. Tesla (Bought at $388) 300 shares down from 400 shares he sold around $1000
2. Square (Bought at $32) 1,500 shares
3. Shopify (Bought at $740) 100 shares

He is a very happy guy right now. He is the best non-pro stock picker I've ever seen. He told me about Chegg at $30 and a few others that have done incredible.
Square (SQ) has shot up $50 since I posted this. Good lord. :-)
[Reply]
F150 10:58 AM 10-09-2020
Take a look at doing Roth Conversion out of 401K's

Good chance if Dems go in, Cap Gain taxes will go up, maybe to regular tax levels...Convert now, pay the cap gain now and use the roths for your forced distribution
[Reply]
Stewie 11:21 AM 10-09-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:

I mentioned ENPH about a month ago. Wish I had bought some. I still think it's a good long term investment. They manufacture inverters for solar energy. As I said before I'm sitting on the sidelines until after the election.
[Reply]
petegz28 11:33 AM 10-09-2020
Originally Posted by F150:
Take a look at doing Roth Conversion out of 401K's

Good chance if Dems go in, Cap Gain taxes will go up, maybe to regular tax levels...Convert now, pay the cap gain now and use the roths for your forced distribution
That's good advice although the Cap Gains rate has nothing to do with Roth conversions. You will pay tax on the conversion as "ordinary income". So the common tactic is to convert just enough of your traditional 401k or IRA to a Roth without jacking you up to the next tax bracket.

Now that all being said, future income tax rates will definitely be higher if the Dems take control. So the game is to convert now at a lower tax rate or chance paying most likely higher taxes later.
[Reply]
ghak99 07:04 PM 10-09-2020
Originally Posted by Stewie:

As I said before I'm sitting on the sidelines until after the election.
The gambler in me is having a really hard time doing this.

My pencil has me ready to pull some gains to put toward buying another rental, but I'm balls out busy right now and wouldn't have time to mess with it until winter.
[Reply]
Page 408 of 934
« First < 308358398404405406407408 409410411412418458508908 > Last »
Up