Page 28 of 934
« First < 182425262728 293031323878128528 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Investing megathread extravaganza
DaFace 11:23 AM 06-27-2016
A place to talk about investing stuff.
[Reply]
Dunit35 08:42 PM 09-08-2016
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Oh, and I charge literally everything I can for the rewards. Everyday expenses, monthly bills - everything. If they let me charge it, I do. I probably rack up around $50-$75 in rewards every month. As lewdog said, you just have to be sure you have the discipline to never spend more than you can immediately pay off. Carrying balances is bad mmkay.
We use our cards for everything and pay them off monthly. Our cards suck for rewards but have high limits and are our oldest credit. I should upgrade for better rewards but I don't want to mess with lowering our length of credit.

Anyways, we've built up close to $300 this year in rewards for Christmas.
[Reply]
eDave 10:07 PM 09-09-2016
Hey guys. I've got a friend who is new to the 401K thing, though he has around $25K so far. He is same age as me, 50. His company matches up to 4%. He is contributing 10%.

What would be the the best 401K portfolio for a guy like that? He'll assume more risk as he'd like to maximize over the next 15 years. Don't know his salary, but in the 28% bracket.

I recommended small/midcap fund but would like to hear other's thoughts. And those went to shit today. Down 2.75%.

Thank you Gentlemen,
eDavid
[Reply]
kcpasco 09-09-2016, 10:16 PM
This message has been deleted by kcpasco.
Buehler445 11:01 PM 09-09-2016
Originally Posted by eDave:
Hey guys. I've got a friend who is new to the 401K thing, though he has around $25K so far. He is same age as me, 50. His company matches up to 4%. He is contributing 10%.

What would be the the best 401K portfolio for a guy like that? He'll assume more risk as he'd like to maximize over the next 15 years. Don't know his salary, but in the 28% bracket.

I recommended small/midcap fund but would like to hear other's thoughts. And those went to shit today. Down 2.75%.

Thank you Gentlemen,
eDavid
Is definitely put some in large caps but I'd hit the small caps and maybe international funds. Hopefully te 401k will let him split it up but he definitely needs more than 1 fund.
[Reply]
DaKCMan AP 06:01 AM 09-10-2016

Thank you Gentlemen,
eDavid
He should allocate to index funds to mimic the global market economy which is about 45% US equities and 55% international. If he wants a home town bias he can flip those and do 55% US. Then diversify over small, medium, large cap.
[Reply]
Infidel Goat 06:47 AM 09-10-2016
Originally Posted by DaFace:
I also have an Amazon card for the 3% at Amazon and a Costco card that does 4% on gas, 3% on restaurants, 2% at Costco, and 1% for everything else, but the rewards are only redeemable at Costco.
https://www.nerdwallet.com/credit-cards

I use the Amazon Card (at Amazon for 3% and Walgreens for 2%) and the Costco card (pretty much everywhere else but the grocery store for the reasons mentioned above--plus 3% on travel).

I also have an American Express Blue Cash Preferred. It comes with a $95 annual fee, but offers 6% cash back at grocery stores for up to $6,000. Even if you subtract the $95 fee from your potential reward (.06 * 600 = 360) you would end up with $265 in rewards if you spend $500 a month at grocery stores. If you spend less than $500 per month at grocery stores, you might be better off with the America Express Blue Cash (Not Preferred) because it has no annual fee, but only offers 3% cash back at grocery stores. We spend plenty at grocery stores, and so the Preferred Card nets us over 4% in a year on a good deal of our groceries.
[Reply]
scho63 07:45 AM 09-10-2016

Thank you Gentlemen,
eDavid
I hope he realizes he is making 40% on his money without it doing anything

I would select 5 sectors for someone our age, I'm 53.

1. S&P and large cap 25%
2. Total return 20%
3. International Fund 15%
4. High Growth 20%
5. High Yield 20%

If rates start to rise move money out of high yield.

My portfolio allocation is attached from today's Paychex login
Attached: asset allocation.jpg (72.1 KB) 
[Reply]
LoneWolf 08:57 AM 09-10-2016

Thank you Gentlemen,
eDavid
I hope he has other investments besides his 401k. If he only has 25k put away at age 50, he's way behind. Other than that comment, there has already been great advice given. I'm a big believer in index funds.
[Reply]
lewdog 11:21 AM 09-10-2016
Originally Posted by LoneWolf:
I hope he has other investments besides his 401k. If he only has 25k put away at age 50, he's way behind. Other than that comment, there has already been great advice given. I'm a big believer in index funds.
I hope so too. If he doesn't, he needs to be maxing it out every year from here on out and probably have some side investments too.

I also have switched most of my 401k over to index funds. If I want to tilt my portfolio to a certain sector, I do that in my Roth IRA.
[Reply]
ChiliConCarnage 02:43 PM 09-10-2016
Originally Posted by lewdog:
I hope so too. If he doesn't, he needs to be maxing it out every year from here on out and probably have some side investments too.

I also have switched most of my 401k over to index funds. If I want to tilt my portfolio to a certain sector, I do that in my Roth IRA.
An IRA is another thing to mention. If he's doing 10%, he may be much better off only matching his 401k. Depends on his 401k but it's frequently true. If 25k is really what he has total then he should do everything he can to get as much in as possible.

He might want to look into places to retire in South/central America. Panama, Costa Rica maybe
[Reply]
eDave 03:00 PM 09-10-2016
Originally Posted by ChiliConCarnage:
An IRA is another thing to mention. If he's doing 10%, he may be much better off only matching his 401k. Depends on his 401k but it's frequently true. If 25k is really what he has total then he should do everything he can to get as much in as possible.

He might want to look into places to retire in South/central America. Panama, Costa Rica maybe
Are you saying an IRA is a better option in the long run? That's advise I'll take too.

This is one of my team members that I like, am coaching professionally and I would really like to help him get on track. He knows he won't retire to a life of leisure.

He's just had a life that didn't allow for much investing. Thank you all for your advise.
[Reply]
ChiliConCarnage 03:39 PM 09-10-2016
Are you saying an IRA is a better option in the long run? That's advise I'll take too.

This is one of my team members that I like, am coaching professionally and I would really like to help him get on track. He knows he won't retire to a life of leisure.

He's just had a life that didn't allow for much investing. Thank you all for your advise.
For most people: hit 401k match, max IRA, max 401k if possible. It depends on the 401k plan but for most people they have more and cheaper options in an IRA of their choice. Schwab, Vanguard, and Fidelity are all fairly popular.
[Reply]
eDave 04:26 PM 09-10-2016
Originally Posted by ChiliConCarnage:
For most people: hit 401k match, max IRA, max 401k if possible. It depends on the 401k plan but for most people they have more and cheaper options in an IRA of their choice. Schwab, Vanguard, and Fidelity are all fairly popular.
Thanks dude. I always thought that was the school of thought for younger investors and not recommended when getting into it late.
[Reply]
eDave 05:44 PM 09-19-2016
What kind of adjustments are you guys contemplating depending on who wins the election?

What will you do if Trump wins?

What will you do if Hillary wins?

(please don't turn this into a DC thing)

On a side note, interest rates have to go up too. Not in Oct. during an election, but definitely by EOY.
[Reply]
Rain Man 06:19 PM 09-19-2016
What kind of adjustments are you guys contemplating depending on who wins the election?

What will you do if Trump wins?

What will you do if Hillary wins?

(please don't turn this into a DC thing)

On a side note, interest rates have to go up too. Not in Oct. during an election, but definitely by EOY.
Maybe I'm naive, but I don't pay attention to politics as it relates to my investments. If prices go down, I buy more. Otherwise I have my normal strategies.
[Reply]
eDave 06:30 PM 09-19-2016
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
Maybe I'm naive, but I don't pay attention to politics as it relates to my investments. If prices go down, I buy more. Otherwise I have my normal strategies.
That makes to total sense. I'm should have clarified it as 401K investments. I don't care who wins really, but I'd like to navigate it correctly. Might just pull it back for a bit and access the sitch.
[Reply]
Page 28 of 934
« First < 182425262728 293031323878128528 > Last »
Up