ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 8
< 12 3456 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>What have you done with your CD collection?
mr. tegu 10:47 AM 08-07-2022
I’ve got a huge box of CDs I really don’t know what to do with. A few years back I took the time to put them on the computer so I have them digital now. But now they seem mostly worthless just taking up space. Have you thrown yours out? Keeping them for nostalgia? Are they worth anything? Better to just sit on them for any reason?
[Reply]
KCUnited 11:40 AM 08-07-2022
I'm still rocking cassettes in the '01 but thinking about upgrading to a CD player.

I've kept all of my and my wifes CDs. I should probably reevaluate why as most everything is on some streaming service. I've got them organized though so until it becomes a storage burden I'll probably keep them for some reason.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 11:40 AM 08-07-2022
Originally Posted by stevieray:
what kind of music?

My collection is a lot of classic rock (Aerosmith, Zeppelin, AcDc, GnR, Van Halen and the likes , Metallica and few here and there similar, Beatles, and some 90s.

Does anyone think this stuff will ever be collectible? Don’t really have their graphics appeal and uniqueness of record sound. Cassettes don’t seem like they’ll ever make it as collectibles.
[Reply]
Rain Man 11:46 AM 08-07-2022
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
I'm still rocking cassettes in the '01 but thinking about upgrading to a CD player.

I've kept all of my and my wifes CDs. I should probably reevaluate why as most everything is on some streaming service. I've got them organized though so until it becomes a storage burden I'll probably keep them for some reason.
It would be a nice backup system. I uploaded all of my CDs onto itunes and then we donated them or sold them or something. Now itunes won't let me login and have put all of my newer music "on the cloud" against my wishes, so I'm worried that the next time I buy a computer it's going to be a nightmare.

I actually think the new music is more at risk than the old music, though. But itunes is the worst software ever created.
[Reply]
ModSocks 11:54 AM 08-07-2022
Aside from hard to find local music it's pretty much all ended up in the trash.
[Reply]
KCUnited 11:56 AM 08-07-2022
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
It would be a nice backup system. I uploaded all of my CDs onto itunes and then we donated them or sold them or something. Now itunes won't let me login and have put all of my newer music "on the cloud" against my wishes, so I'm worried that the next time I buy a computer it's going to be a nightmare.

I actually think the new music is more at risk than the old music, though. But itunes is the worst software ever created.
That's a good point.

I honestly can't remember the last time I even tried accessing iTunes and I was an early adopter with iTunes and the original brick iPod. So yeah, I likely would've lost all that music or at least had a challenge accessing it.

Even though most everything is on a Spotify type service, sometimes I'll flip through my CD books just for ideas of what to listen to then play it Spotify. I find that I just listen to the same stuff over and over again using just Spotify since its in the front of my mind or search history. So maybe what I need is a database of my stuff and not the actual stuff.
[Reply]
Coochie liquor 12:02 PM 08-07-2022
Originally Posted by Bowser:
I have a mountain of CDs I need to get ripped to the 'puter.

I've noticed that all my music I have is, shall we say, starting to become dated.
Why don’t you just get Amazon music? You don’t have to rip anything, you can listen to whatever you want. And it’s like $8 a month. I love my Amazon music.
[Reply]
scho63 12:54 PM 08-07-2022
Sell the whole collection, all or none.
[Reply]
PunkinDrublic 12:59 PM 08-07-2022
Boxed them up and dropped them off at goodwill. If you live near a college town I think the record stores will take them off your hands but you’ll get penny’s on the dollar. It’s worth it IMO if your trying to get rid of your old stuff and create some space. Going the minimalist route and vastly reducing a lot of what I have is one of the best decisions I’ve ever made.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 01:03 PM 08-07-2022
Originally Posted by Frazod:
Same here, but at least it doesn't suck.

Easily 95% of my stuff dates back to the 80s or earlier.
Dude, old classic rock is back in.

Yes, I still have my CD's and vinyl records.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 01:05 PM 08-07-2022
Originally Posted by Rain Man:

Did you store your music on your hard drive also?
[Reply]
ReynardMuldrake 01:06 PM 08-07-2022
I have ripped all the discs in my collection to megabit FLAC. I have them hosted on my Synology so I can stream them lossless.

Hot tip: You can upload your own music to Youtube Music and stream it anywhere for free. As far as I can tell there is no storage limit. I have 30K+ tracks I've ripped myself hosted on Youtube Music. I wish they'd never gotten rid of Google Play Music, the interface was way better than Youtube Music. Hard to complain about free storage though.

My buddy at work loaned me two tubs of 90's punk and metal CDs. Something like 650+ discs. I ripped them for him and gave him the digital copies. It's worth it for me since I get access to a ton of great material.

If anyone wants their collection digitized, send me a PM. I don't mind doing it for free.
[Reply]
lewdog 01:46 PM 08-07-2022
Last year when I got a new car, it solidified going to streaming as neither car we own has a CD player now.

We use Amazon music and I create playlists of various things or use the discovery feature to find new bands which is awesome.

I haven’t done anything with all my CDs yet though.
[Reply]
Buehler445 01:51 PM 08-07-2022
Originally Posted by Frazod:
Box in the basement. Hell, I still even have some VHS tapes down there, although I haven't had a VHS player hooked up in 20 years. Found them recently when I was looking for something else. I assume the VHS player is down there as well.

My basement is full of useless shit, most of which I'll never use again. But I never throw anything away.
Mine too. No VHS, but a fuckton of DVDs.
[Reply]
MarkDavis'Haircut 01:57 PM 08-07-2022
Use them as shooting stars to fight crime.
[Reply]
BlackOp 02:31 PM 08-07-2022
Get a 100 CD player...I still like the tactile aspect of physical media. Just put it on random and let it do it's thing.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 8
< 12 3456 > Last »
Up