ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 8 of 10
« First < 45678 910 >
Media Center>Non-woke media for people into non-woke tales
Vladimir_Kyrilytch 09:13 PM 06-28-2022
These days, there are billions of TV shows and movies, but every billion of them share a lot in common. Men are the enemy. Whites are the enemy. So combine the two worst characteristics, white and man, into one character and you have yourself a villain. Now just fill the story with diverse women and diverse people that were born withle that never can do wrong and that's everything everywhere.

But what if you don't like that sort of political agenda? What if that kinda annoys you? You might want an option to see something along the lines of your own sensibilities. To that end, here is the list:

#1) Alien. This is weird because it stars a woman, but it's great. It's the tops.

#2) Bull Durham. Also weirdly celebrated by feminists cause it had a strong woman character. Same actress actually.

#3) The Big Sleep. Starring Bogey and the best actress of all time, Lauren Bacall. Great stuff. Written by a Pulitzer Prize winner and Nobel Prize winner.

#4) To Have and Have Not. Written by that aforementioned PP and NP winner, but this one was adapted from the works of a person considered good, Ernest Hemingway.

#5) Bone Tomahawk. Kurt Russel in a western that is considered so stomach-turningly violent, most people won't even watch it.

#6) Star Trek 6, The Undiscovered Country. An example a super ultra woke film that was actually good. They didn't have diverse female characters ninja kicking white men at all.

#7) Das Boot. Best war movie ever made. It should be #1 but I'm too lazy to go back and edit. Zero women characters, so zero opportunity to have women characters jump kicking men. It worked.

#1) Atlas Shrugged, all 3 parts. Written by a woman, this is considered the most anti-woke material ever filmed. It's a breath of fresh air.
[Reply]
Vladimir_Kyrilytch 02:06 PM 08-03-2022
Now, chitown, that we have corrected your terrible sentence at great effort on my part, show me how I have ever used a strawman argument. Go through my post history as much as you want. Show me a strawman argument I have ever used.

You don't even know what a strawman is, chitown. You are out of your element.
[Reply]
Chitownchiefsfan 02:48 PM 08-03-2022
I rest my case. Lol.
[Reply]
|Zach| 06:24 PM 08-03-2022
Guy who thinks comic book movies emasculate him mashes his hooves against a keyboard all alone as he corrects spelling and grammar errors. :-)
[Reply]
Vladimir_Kyrilytch 10:17 AM 08-04-2022
Originally Posted by |Zach|:
Guy who thinks comic book movies emasculate him mashes his hooves against a keyboard all alone as he corrects spelling and grammar errors. :-)
I personally couldnt care less about a comic book or a comic book movie. I am possibly the foremost Faulkner scholar on the planet (and I mean Earth, not CP). No time for cartoons for me personally.

My concern is that little boys have no masculine heros like that. Turning every comic hero gay or female does the younger generation no favors, unless you want the country to die. And I think you do.

Here is a thought exercise. When was the last time you heard the word masculinity, WITHOUT the word toxic right before it?
[Reply]
Gravedigger 11:08 AM 08-04-2022
I miss the days when we used to relegate these threads into The Romper Room.
[Reply]
Vladimir_Kyrilytch 01:56 PM 08-04-2022
Originally Posted by Gravedigger:
I miss the days when we used to relegate these threads into The Romper Room.
You been to the RR lately, friend? Do you want to discuss chewing tobacoo? Where does beer come from?
[Reply]
Gravedigger 02:02 PM 08-04-2022
Originally Posted by Vladimir_Kyrilytch:
You been to the RR lately, friend? Do you want to discuss chewing tobacoo? Where does beer come from?
Yep, where pointless threads go to die. Surprised the moderators have let you stammer on for this long to be honest, I'll give you a few more posts as a sign of good will.
[Reply]
sully1983 02:21 PM 08-04-2022

#5) Bone Tomahawk. Kurt Russel in a western that is considered so stomach-turningly violent, most people won't even watch it.
You couldn't be more wrong about "most people won't even watch it". Only a complete pussy would say something like that. Bone Tomahawk was raved by critics & audiences alike (91% rating on Rotten Tomatoes ) It has a pretty big cult status since its release thanks to streaming services.

I am glad you mentioned Bone Tomahawk though because the director (S.Craig Zahler) is so criminally underappreciated.

His 2 other films are also worth checking out. Brawl in Cell Block 99 is incredible and imho Dragged Across Concrete is another that doesn't get enough love.

imo directors like Zahler are a breath of fresh air. He prides himself on being true to his vision whether the average movie goer or studio executive likes it or not. He doesn't give a flying **** and nor should he. I respect the hell out his uncompromising /unflinching directing style "toxic masculinity" complaints be damned.
He had some great quotes regarding how he goes about his business in Hollywood.

Originally Posted by :
I always believed in my abilities as a writer, but the disparity between what I write and what is made in Hollywood is HUGE. This is very likely why I daily fight to push my scripts forward."

"Write what you think is good, refine it, send it out, and repeat for many years. Find a day job that is satisfying, and also lets your mind wander so that the only pressure you feel is to become a better writer, not 'get rich in Hollywood'."

[Reply]
Vladimir_Kyrilytch 02:35 PM 08-04-2022
Originally Posted by sully1983:
You couldn't be more wrong about "most people won't even watch it". Only a complete pussy would say something like that. Bone Tomahawk was raved by critics & audiences alike (91% rating on Rotten Tomatoes ) It has a pretty big cult status since its release thanks to streaming services.

I am glad you mentioned Bone Tomahawk though because the director (S.Craig Zahler) is so criminally underappreciated.

His 2 other films are also worth checking out. Brawl in Cell Block 99 is incredible and imho Dragged Across Concrete is another that doesn't get enough love.

imo directors like Zahler are a breath of fresh air. He prides himself on being true to his vision whether the average movie goer or studio executive likes it or not. He doesn't give a flying **** and nor should he. I respect the hell out his uncompromising /unflinching directing style "toxic masculinity" complaints be damned.
He had some great quotes regarding how he goes about his business in Hollywood.
Well sully you just gave me a homework assignment, and I do appreciate it. Brawl on cell block 99 and Dragged Across Concrete are now my top two films to see asap.

Look at this, non-woke tales being discussed in the non-woke media thread.
[Reply]
Vladimir_Kyrilytch 02:42 PM 08-04-2022
Originally Posted by Gravedigger:
Yep
Nope
[Reply]
Vladimir_Kyrilytch 03:37 PM 08-04-2022
Holy shit sully. Dragged across concrete has Mel Gibson and Vince Vaughn in it?!?! How did I not know about this? I can already tell this is gonna be great. Thanks for that post my friend.
[Reply]
Vladimir_Kyrilytch 04:45 PM 08-04-2022
https://youtu.be/qbUio8oV5u8

Oh my what do we have here?

Bowser you gotta teach me how to imbed youtube videos someday.

The link I share here is very, very pertinent to the topic pf the thread. It needs to be in this thread.

By the way bowser. Did you know the Drinker calls his dog (a rescue greyhound) the critical doggo? What an absolute legend.

Anyway that's all I got for today. I'll go away now.
[Reply]
sully1983 06:55 PM 08-04-2022
Holy shit sully. Dragged across concrete has Mel Gibson and Vince Vaughn in it?!?! How did I not know about this? I can already tell this is gonna be great. Thanks for that post my friend.
No problem. Dragged Across Concrete is a very unapologetic / mean spirited (in a great way) type of film that is rare to see these days. I mean, it shouldn't come to anyone's surprise since its literally called Dragged Across Concrete lol.

Just a heads up, both Dragged Across Concrete & Brawl in Cell Block 99 are long af and can test even the most patient movie goer. Some critics slammed DAC for "dragging" in some parts (no pun intended of course) but I really dug it.
[Reply]
Vladimir_Kyrilytch 09:55 AM 08-06-2022
Well Sully I have now seen both Dragged and Brawl. Both are absolutely top notch films. Blew my mind, to be honest. Even things like the color composition and how shots are blocked are mastered in these films. This Zahler is an auter on the level of Kubrick.

I've known Vince Vaughn had legit dramatic acting chops since Clay Pigeons, a movie you should see if you haven't. But I thought Mel Gibson was on a higher level than him in Dragged. Mel can really act. But Vaughn is on his A game in Brawl - he needed an acting award of some kind.

So here is the question: how would you rank the 3 Zahler films yourself? I would actually go

1) Dragged Across Concrete. It was 2 hours 40 minutes but I couldnt take my eyes off the screen the entire time. Felt like a half hour. The tension just keeps ramping up and it is not predictable at all.

2) Brawl in Cell Block 99. Vince Vaughn's best ever performance, I would even say. Also, the building tension in this is masterful.

3) Bone Tomahawk. Still a 4 out of 4 star movie. It isn't gratuitously violent like I implied in the OP. Its just the small bits of violence in it are so impactful, it just sorta feels that way.

Your rank?
[Reply]
sully1983 08:52 AM 08-07-2022
Well Sully I have now seen both Dragged and Brawl. Both are absolutely top notch films. Blew my mind, to be honest. Even things like the color composition and how shots are blocked are mastered in these films. This Zahler is an auter on the level of Kubrick.

I've known Vince Vaughn had legit dramatic acting chops since Clay Pigeons, a movie you should see if you haven't. But I thought Mel Gibson was on a higher level than him in Dragged. Mel can really act. But Vaughn is on his A game in Brawl - he needed an acting award of some kind.

So here is the question: how would you rank the 3 Zahler films yourself? I would actually go

1) Dragged Across Concrete. It was 2 hours 40 minutes but I couldnt take my eyes off the screen the entire time. Felt like a half hour. The tension just keeps ramping up and it is not predictable at all.

2) Brawl in Cell Block 99. Vince Vaughn's best ever performance, I would even say. Also, the building tension in this is masterful.

3) Bone Tomahawk. Still a 4 out of 4 star movie. It isn't gratuitously violent like I implied in the OP. Its just the small bits of violence in it are so impactful, it just sorta feels that way.

Your rank?
1. Bone Tomahawk
2. Brawl in Cell Block 99
3. Dragged Across Concrete

I rate them all 8/10
[Reply]
Page 8 of 10
« First < 45678 910 >
Up