ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 11 of 19
« First < 7891011 12131415 > Last »
Hall of Classics>What would you do if your neighbor....
petegz28 03:32 PM 01-09-2009
Ok, as some of you have heard me complain before, the neighbors who live behind me\across the street installed a 10ft lamppost in their front yard. It is excessively bright. I by that I mean it outshines the streetlights easily. The ligh illuminates the entire backside of my house meaning it shines right through my dining room window and bedroom window. I cannot sit on my deck when it is on as it is like having a light shined righ tin your face.

So, what I have done so far....I tolerated it and paid $500 to put in a tree to help block it. That does a meh job. So I thought oh well until....CHRISTMAS TIME! What is so special about CHRISTMAS TIME and the Lamp? I will tell you....

The people put exterior x-mas lights on their home and guess what...they had to turn off their light so they could be seen. Day after x-mas the light was back on in all of its blinding beauty.

So I finally looked up the code and found an "Unlawul Illumination" code that states basically your light cannot shine across your property line to the point it is a nuisance. So I filed a complaint with the city.

The city in turn said this is an exception to municiple code and they forwarded it to the Police. The Police contacted me and said they are waiting for the blessing from the city prosector to allow a citation. This is where it gets good...

If they do get the blessing, I of course have to sign a complaint and possibly appear in court to have the light dimmed or removed.

I am half willing to accept reimbursement for the $500 for the tree I put in, though that does me no good in the winter. The wife says I should let it go. My best friemd says "**** em' they should of thought about that when they put in the light".

So would you follow it all the way to court? Or am I being a bigger dick than usual? :-)


Updated: Talked to him, asked him to either wait until 10:00 to turn it on or get a dimmer bulb.....light was off last night so he is being cool though I could tell by his town he wasn't happy about the purpose of my visit
[Reply]
petegz28 07:24 PM 01-10-2009
Originally Posted by Saul Good:
Just your tone makes it pretty clear that you expect the worst even though it sounds to me like your neighbor has done nothing wrong.

He put up a light in his yard. I doubt that he realized that it shined so brightly into your house. After working up some big confrontation scenario in your head, you asked him to turn it off, and he agreed.

There is an asshole in this scenario, and I don't think it's him.
Yea, he wasn't an asshole for putting up a 10ft light that outshines the streetlights in the first place. And it is against city code.

So much for your thinking....

I'll be the first to admit I am an asshole, but I think your math is off, dickhead. :-)

And what an asshole I was to spend $500 of my own money to try and block it before I talked to him and thus avoided him getting any fines. Yea, that was a real dick move on my part, wasn't it?
[Reply]
Saul Good 08:24 PM 01-10-2009
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Yea, he wasn't an asshole for putting up a 10ft light that outshines the streetlights in the first place. And it is against city code.

So much for your thinking....

I'll be the first to admit I am an asshole, but I think your math is off, dickhead. :-)

And what an asshole I was to spend $500 of my own money to try and block it before I talked to him and thus avoided him getting any fines. Yea, that was a real dick move on my part, wasn't it?
That doesn't make him an asshole. If you had asked him to turn it off at night and he refused, it would make him an asshole. I'm not convinced that it's against city code, either. There is a city code that regulates how bright a light can be, but I haven't seen any proof that this light necessarily violates the code. Just because you say that it does doesn't make it so. He hasn't been cited, and it sounds like the light has been up for months with no complaints from anyone but you.

Spending the $500 makes you an idiot, not an asshole. You make it sound like it was some act of benevolence on your part in order to save your dear neighbor a fine, but you hadn't even discussed the issue with him. It sounds like you spent $500 because you were too much of a pussy to have a man to man conversation with your neighbor on the mean streets of Olathe.

Just to avoid any further confusion:

Buying the $500 tree makes you an idiot.

Being afraid to have a simple talk with your neighbor makes you a pussy.

Still assuming the worst about a guy who, once he realized that his light was a nuisance, agreed to your request to turn it off at night makes you an asshole.

Crying about another poster telling you the truth in a thread that you started on the topic makes you a bitch.


I double-checked my math this time.
[Reply]
|Zach| 08:25 PM 01-10-2009
Originally Posted by Saul Good:

Just to avoid any further confusion:

Buying the $500 tree makes you an idiot.

Being afraid to have a simple talk with your neighbor makes you a pussy.

Still assuming the worst about a guy who, once he realized that his light was a nuisance, agreed to your request to turn it off at night makes you an asshole.

Crying about another poster telling you the truth in a thread that you started on the topic makes you a bitch.


I double-checked my math this time.
:-)
[Reply]
Mr. Plow 08:28 PM 01-10-2009
Originally Posted by frazod:
Pellet gun.

After you've shot the bulb out enough times, they'll get the message.

I'm not reading through the thread......you had your answer in the first post.
[Reply]
petegz28 08:29 PM 01-10-2009
Originally Posted by Saul Good:
That doesn't make him an asshole. If you had asked him to turn it off at night and he refused, it would make him an asshole. I'm not convinced that it's against city code, either. There is a city code that regulates how bright a light can be, but I haven't seen any proof that this light necessarily violates the code. Just because you say that it does doesn't make it so. He hasn't been cited, and it sounds like the light has been up for months with no complaints from anyone but you.

Spending the $500 makes you an idiot, not an asshole. You make it sound like it was some act of benevolence on your part in order to save your dear neighbor a fine, but you hadn't even discussed the issue with him. It sounds like you spent $500 because you were too much of a pussy to have a man to man conversation with your neighbor on the mean streets of Olathe.

Just to avoid any further confusion:

Buying the $500 tree makes you an idiot.

Being afraid to have a simple talk with your neighbor makes you a pussy.

Still assuming the worst about a guy who, once he realized that his light was a nuisance, agreed to your request to turn it off at night makes you an asshole.

Crying about another poster telling you the truth in a thread that you started on the topic makes you a bitch.


I double-checked my math this time.


OOOHHHH you really told me..especially all the different names you called me......

No city code?

Originally Posted by :
6.06.045 Unlawful Outdoor Illumination.

(a) No person shall install, maintain and/or use an outdoor visible light or other source of illumination which is on private property and produces glare or direct illumination across a property line in a residential area of such intensity that it creates a nuisance or unreasonably interferes with the use or enjoyment of adjacent property.
(b) Outside lights must be made up of a light source and reflector so that, acting together, the light beam is controlled and not directed across a property line.

(c) This section shall not apply to street lights or lights installed, maintained and used in connection with the use and operation of any outdoor stadium; amphitheater or athletic field.

(d) Unlawful outdoor illumination as defined by this section shall be deemed to be a "nuisance" under this chapter and to effect legal relief persons directly affected may sign a complaint in Municipal Court. (Ord. 94-60 1, 1994.)
OOPS....idiot. :-)

Now call me some more names..you pillowbiter

Yea, you really told me......:-)

Yahm I am just doing it to be a prick cause I have nothing better to do than piss off my neighbors.

****ing idiot.

You don't live here, I do. So therefore I don't give a fuck what you "think" about his light cause you don't know shit about what you are saying.
[Reply]
petegz28 08:36 PM 01-10-2009
Originally Posted by |Zach|:
:-)
Oh look Zach....now you and Saul can share your double-dong..:-)
[Reply]
Saul Good 08:41 PM 01-10-2009
Originally Posted by petegz28:
OOOHHHH you really told me..especially all the different names you called me......

No city code?



OOPS....idiot. :-)

Now call me some more names..you pillowbiter

Yea, you really told me......:-)
I'm pretty sure that my post said that there was a code against it, smart guy. I guess you must have gotten a testosterone rush coursing through your hulking 5'6" frame that caused you to overlook that part.

What I said was that your saying that it violates code doesn't necessarily mean that it does violate code. The evidence available seems to indicate that it doesn't. From what I've gathered, the light has been up for months. How many citations has he received? I would say that there is a decent chance that this guy can keep his light up as long as he wants.

If it was such a nuisance, someone should have reported it before now. Time is on his side at this point, but that doesn't matter because HE DID EXACTLY WHAT YOU ASKED HIM TO DO!

I hope he turns it back on. Passive-aggressive assholes like you are much worse neighbors than this guy could ever be.
[Reply]
petegz28 08:50 PM 01-10-2009
Originally Posted by Mr. Plow:
I'm not reading through the thread......you had your answer in the first post.
It would make for an easy target..

This is the light just at dusk...
Attached: misc 008.jpg (39.2 KB) 
[Reply]
petegz28 08:52 PM 01-10-2009
Originally Posted by Saul Good:
I'm pretty sure that my post said that there was a code against it, smart guy. I guess you must have gotten a testosterone rush coursing through your hulking 5'6" frame that caused you to overlook that part.

What I said was that your saying that it violates code doesn't necessarily mean that it does violate code. The evidence available seems to indicate that it doesn't. From what I've gathered, the light has been up for months. How many citations has he received? I would say that there is a decent chance that this guy can keep his light up as long as he wants.

If it was such a nuisance, someone should have reported it before now. Time is on his side at this point, but that doesn't matter because HE DID EXACTLY WHAT YOU ASKED HIM TO DO!

I hope he turns it back on. Passive-aggressive assholes like you are much worse neighbors than this guy could ever be.

Well, it's just easy for you to sit there and say all your shit. So, we have heard what you "think". We know you are a bad ass. We know I am a whatever the list of names is you called me. And so I offer you a polite, GFY. :-)
[Reply]
RJ 08:56 PM 01-10-2009
Originally Posted by petegz28:
It would make for an easy target..

This is the light just at dusk...


That's it?

I was picturing some sort of spotlight.
[Reply]
petegz28 08:59 PM 01-10-2009
Originally Posted by RJ:
That's it?

I was picturing some sort of spotlight.
Trust me, when it is dark it is all the more brighter...and right at eye level. I gave Oz a link if you want to look at it at night. Though my powershot sort of darkens everything.
[Reply]
Saul Good 09:02 PM 01-10-2009
Originally Posted by petegz28:
It would make for an easy target..

This is the light just at dusk...
I take it all back. I didn't realize that it was almost as bright as a key-chain flashlight. What a joke.
[Reply]
petegz28 09:03 PM 01-10-2009
Originally Posted by RJ:
That's it?

I was picturing some sort of spotlight.
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showp...&postcount=110

There is a link in the post of it at night. As I said, the camera darkens everything. But I do have pics of what it is like with just his proch light on should you be interested.
[Reply]
|Zach| 09:03 PM 01-10-2009
Originally Posted by petegz28:
It would make for an easy target..

This is the light just at dusk...
Is the guys house the one with the red door? Or one of the houses that has their back to yours.
[Reply]
petegz28 09:05 PM 01-10-2009
Originally Posted by Saul Good:
I take it all back. I didn't realize that it was almost as bright as a key-chain flashlight. What a joke.
Once again, you have no idea of what you are talking about guy, so please just :-). Or keep talking like you know something, it makes me no difference.
[Reply]
Page 11 of 19
« First < 7891011 12131415 > Last »
Up