ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 462 of 469
« First < 362412452458459460461462 463464465466 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official 2022 Royals Season Repository Thread***
ChiefsCountry 11:07 AM 01-01-2022
For all things Royals in 2022. #3 minor league system according to Baseball America. The Bobby Witt era should begin this year. Will Salvy still be the homerun king? How does the glut of infield players work out? Will the young pitchers take the next step?

Free Agents/Trades Acquisitions
Zack Greinke, P
Amir Garrett, P
Taylor Clarke, P

Top 10 Prospects from Baseball America
1. Bobby Witt, SS
2. Asa Lacy, P
3. MJ Melendez, C
4. Nick Pratto, 1B
5. Jackson Kowar, P
6. Kyle Isabel, OF
7. Frank Mozzicato, P
8. Ben Kudrna, P
9. Jonathan Bowlan, P
10. Vinnie Pasquantino, 1B

Duncan's Top Royals Prospects
Spoiler!

[Reply]
nychief 10:17 AM 12-21-2022
Originally Posted by Jerm:
The Mets making a mockery of the sport…hilarious.

See...i've come to believe it's the royals and other small market teams making a mockery of the sport. Every team got 30 million dollars free money this year on top of the regular tv and internet revenue...and we spent it on fucking Jordan Lyles and Ryan Yarborough. It's gross. They make money losing so they don't need to win in any significant way.

On another note...Do you think Bobby Witt is going to playing for the royals when the new stadium opens? I don't. We aren't paying one of the big contracts that buy out FA years... and he'll be shipped out for prospects before then.

There are 600 billionaires in the US, alone.... we can't find 30 of them to run major league baseball teams and actually spend what the players are worth? I guess i'm sick of the poverty model for teams like the Royals.

Phew. Got that off my chest. I love this baseball team but they makes me crazy.
[Reply]
Ocotillo 10:52 AM 12-21-2022

pic.twitter.com/tTOYmS6J8g

— Baseball Images that Precede Unfortunate Events (@UnfortunateMLB) December 21, 2022

[Reply]
myselff77 12:30 PM 12-21-2022
Originally Posted by nychief:
See...i've come to believe it's the royals and other small market teams making a mockery of the sport. Every team got 30 million dollars free money this year on top of the regular tv and internet revenue...and we spent it on ****ing Jordan Lyles and Ryan Yarborough. It's gross. They make money losing so they don't need to win in any significant way.

On another note...Do you think Bobby Witt is going to playing for the royals when the new stadium opens? I don't. We aren't paying one of the big contracts that buy out FA years... and he'll be shipped out for prospects before then.

There are 600 billionaires in the US, alone.... we can't find 30 of them to run major league baseball teams and actually spend what the players are worth? I guess i'm sick of the poverty model for teams like the Royals.

Phew. Got that off my chest. I love this baseball team but they makes me crazy.
Totally agree that if BWJ is truly a star, he is much more likely to be traded than sign any mega extension/long term contract with KC. Do you think the Royals would be successful spending BIG money and bringing in the right mix of players to actually win a World Series? I don't have that kind of faith in the front office at this point. I don't mind the philosophy of developing talent and signing one or two guys when ready to compete. It's better than being stuck with a bunch of underachieving expensive players, which I'd suspect would be the result if the Royals actually did spend money.

Spend money and the Royals would turn into a mini version of the Padres. Expensive talent that doesn't achieve. Glad those guys spent the money on Hosmer instead of KC.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 12:37 PM 12-21-2022
Anyone wanna bring back Jon E Qweddo?

Will be 37 but had nice year for Sux. 6.6 IP per start iver 24

INNINGS EATER
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 01:40 PM 12-21-2022
Spending all of that money to finish 3rd in the division.
[Reply]
Vladimir_Kyrilytch 01:50 PM 12-21-2022
Originally Posted by BWillie:
https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savan...-r-hitting-mlb

If I am reading these stats right on baseball savant apparently Bobby has terrible range. We all know he's great at running in a straight line but perhaps it has to do with his reflexes, agility and well - concentration. He is the worst possible grade for an infielder on "Outs Above Average". 1 (poorest) to 99 (greatest), and he is a 1. Outs Above Avg which states:

Outs Above Average (OAA) is a range-based metric of skill that shows how many outs a player has saved. Prior to 2020, OAA was an outfield-only metric. But it has been expanded to include infielders. OAA is calculated differently for outfielders and infielders (details below).

Outs Above Average for infielders takes the following factors into account.

• How far the fielder has to go to reach the ball ("the intercept point").
• How much time he has to get there.
• How far he then is from the base the runner is heading to.
• On force plays, how fast the batter is, on average. (A runner's average Sprint Speed is used in the calculation, rather than his Sprint Speed on that particular play. For new players with no data, a league-average -- 27 ft/sec -- score is used; once the player qualifies for the leaderboard, all of his previous plays are re-run.)

I am rooting for the kid but all the metrics seem to indicate he is completely out of his element at SS. Scouts think he COULD be good. I don't place alot of emphasis in scouts once a guy has shown some results at the major league level. I'm not saying he can't be a league avg or slightly above average SS - but it seems it is highly unlikely. Due to his straight line amazing speed and arm and the cavernous Kaufmann Stadium I'll admit I'm very intrigued on how he could perform as an outfielder.
Interesting stuff. I didn't realize BWJ ranked so low per the defensive metrics. But he sure does - in DRS as tabulated by The Fielding Bible, he put up -18. Out of 90 players that played shortstop at least 50 innings in 2022, that ranked him 90, dead-ass last.

Over on fangraphs, I put in a minimum of 750 innings played at shortstop and out of the 24 players that qualify, he ranked 23rd in RngR, which is "range runs", defined as "The number of runs above or below average a fielder is, determined by how the fielder is able to get to balls hit in his vicinity."

Fangraphs has a defensive stat they just call "def", and he was last among the 24 shortstops in that too. That's just UZR with a positional adjustment though, and UZR doesn't account for beginning positioning. For that reason, I pretty much disregard UZR and the stats built on it.

BWJ's defense as per the metrics is more of an issue than I would have guessed. But the sample sizes needed for those stats to be meaningful are so high that Witt wouldn't even qualify - his ~850 innings is the equivalent of 58% of one season's worth of data, and I've read 1 full season is the minimum you need, with 3 full seasons being truly desirable. One 'season' of data is considered 1200 innings.

From a saber website, I found this caveat about defensive stats:

Originally Posted by :
1 year of UZR data is on par with about 50-55 games worth of offense.Would you judge Miguel Cabrera's talents at the plate on just his games from April 1st through June? I wouldn't, and neither would you (or so I hope). So don't do it with defense. Personally, if I have three years of UZR data for a player, I'd rather have four. If I have four years of UZR data, I'd rather have five. I don't believe that you can have enough.
I'm still with duncan that it's too early to consider moving Witt off shortstop, but if it's a full season of ugliness again in 2023, the discussion would be fair to have.
[Reply]
Mecca 03:37 PM 12-21-2022
Not sure I buy it that far, their owner is stupid rich, so what if he wants to win? I'll take that over billionaires that penny pinch.

The stuff that really exposed baseball or the small markets of baseball so to speak was during the last negotiation when the players wanted to institute a salary floor and the owners were having no part of that...or seeing a team with similar market size and revenue to the Royals in San Diego spend an incredible amount of money more than the Royals do.

What you're seeing is there are plenty of owners who don't give a fuck about winning, the baseball team makes them a bunch of money and they're good with that. The Pirates are a great example of ownership that gives no fucks but profit.

Some owners are exposing their fellow counterparts by showing how much money there really is to spend...
[Reply]
Titty Meat 03:51 PM 12-21-2022
You dumbasses will vote to give 2 billion to the Royala to build a stadium :-)
[Reply]
tk13 04:04 PM 12-21-2022
Yeah but Cohen is in a different bracket than someone like Sherman. If Sherman tried to get in an arms race with Cohen he would get stepped on like a bug.

The other catch is this kind of extreme spending almost never works out. Everybody always talks up San Diego and this year was the first time in AJ Preller's almost 10 years that they've had any kind of success and that still ended in a 4-1 loss in the NLCS.
[Reply]
poolboy 04:08 PM 12-21-2022
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
We dont need to be signing any bats this off-season. We have a **** ton of young guys that can play 3rd base and need to see who we got. Why the **** do you want to sign some 30 yr old journeyman that at best will help us win another game or 2. Your stupidity defies logic and common sense and it's clear you just want to find a reason to piss and moan.
We totally need bats....Why even have a team if your not playing to win?
I dont want to lose 100 games again...Why should we have another 5 year plan?
12 million is peanuts for versatile bat
[Reply]
Mecca 04:11 PM 12-21-2022
Originally Posted by tk13:
Yeah but Cohen is in a different bracket than someone like Sherman. If Sherman tried to get in an arms race with Cohen he would get stepped on like a bug.

The other catch is this kind of extreme spending almost never works out. Everybody always talks up San Diego and this year was the first time in AJ Preller's almost 10 years that they've had any kind of success and that still ended in a 4-1 loss in the NLCS.
That's fine but they are at the very least trying to win something. They are showing you that a market that isn't huge can spend money.

They resigned their homegrown star and have spent money on FAs. I don't think anyone expects the Royals to be the Mets or the Yankees but they should be able to do what San Diego is doing.
[Reply]
dlphg9 04:29 PM 12-21-2022
Originally Posted by poolboy:
We totally need bats....Why even have a team if your not playing to win?
I dont want to lose 100 games again...Why should we have another 5 year plan?
12 million is peanuts for versatile bat
I'd much rather give Nate Eaton, Mondesi, or Massey if you have to a shot at 3rd base. We have multiple young guys that can play 3rd base and we need to find out how they can do. Signing a dude that may not even contribute to wins or at best contributes to 1-2 more wins, but takes ABs and playing time from those young guys is some shit Dayton Moore would do.

How is seeing what our young players can do considered not playing to win? I truly don't give a shit at all if we lose 100 games next year if we give the young guys chances to improve. Who cares if it's 90 losses instead of 100? If we lose 100 games, then we know that the guys we have playing need replaced.
[Reply]
poolboy 04:50 PM 12-21-2022
but we wont replace them...its like endless insanity expecting different results....we been doing this 7 years now with no end in sight...
[Reply]
tk13 05:04 PM 12-21-2022
Originally Posted by Mecca:
That's fine but they are at the very least trying to win something. They are showing you that a market that isn't huge can spend money.

They resigned their homegrown star and have spent money on FAs. I don't think anyone expects the Royals to be the Mets or the Yankees but they should be able to do what San Diego is doing.
I really think if people wanted to spend money we should have kept Dayton. If Sherman is going to run this team like Tampa and Cleveland the days of Ian Kennedy or Gil Meche contracts might be over. There was already an article on Royals Review today on how the Royals are boring now. It blew my mind. This is what everyone wanted for us to be a ruthlessly analytical team and it looks like that's what might be happening. It hasn't even been one offseason and people are getting tired of it. It might be time to start taking bets on the first article where someone longs for Dayton because he understood the KC sports market.

For me the real test is if they re-sign any of the guys they develop. Won't be able to afford them all but if they're investing long term in some of the guys they're developing like Vinny or MJ or Singer then all this will be worth it. Jury is out on that though. If they won't do that we're in trouble.
[Reply]
nychief 06:03 PM 12-21-2022
“ If Sherman is going to run this team like Tampa and Cleveland the days of Ian Kennedy or Gil Meche contracts might be over. ”

That is just sad.

I think your point about analytic clubs is valid, we are going to have to be more transactional - turning and burning players - and hit on them.
[Reply]
Page 462 of 469
« First < 362412452458459460461462 463464465466 > Last »
Up