ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 457 of 469
« First < 357407447453454455456457 458459460461467 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official 2022 Royals Season Repository Thread***
ChiefsCountry 11:07 AM 01-01-2022
For all things Royals in 2022. #3 minor league system according to Baseball America. The Bobby Witt era should begin this year. Will Salvy still be the homerun king? How does the glut of infield players work out? Will the young pitchers take the next step?

Free Agents/Trades Acquisitions
Zack Greinke, P
Amir Garrett, P
Taylor Clarke, P

Top 10 Prospects from Baseball America
1. Bobby Witt, SS
2. Asa Lacy, P
3. MJ Melendez, C
4. Nick Pratto, 1B
5. Jackson Kowar, P
6. Kyle Isabel, OF
7. Frank Mozzicato, P
8. Ben Kudrna, P
9. Jonathan Bowlan, P
10. Vinnie Pasquantino, 1B

Duncan's Top Royals Prospects
Spoiler!

[Reply]
Al Bundy 11:16 PM 12-17-2022
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
His bat is just shit. If BWJ played D like he could have, then he would have been a 5+ WAR player. Lopez had that one great year, but everything outside of that one year he's been shit at the plate. He's a 1 WAR player because of how bad he is offensively.

You can maximize Witt's potential at SS and there is no way we should give up on him at SS after 1 season.
Can BWJ actually play SS at an average level though?
[Reply]
ROYC75 11:16 PM 12-17-2022
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
Why would you stop with the hype? Also we're not winning shit this year, so you play Witt at SS to see if he can actually handle it. If they play Lopez there and he has another atrocious season at the plate, then they really need to move on from him being a starter. You don't want Witt Jr then having to go over there the next year and if he struggles, then your stuck with bad D at SS when they should hope to be competing.

With a guy with Witt's potential at age 22 you don't just give up on that potential.
I never said give up on Whit! Just based on defense, Lopez is a better fielder that Whit. Based on potential. Whit has more overall ability based on his bat. But Whit at SS this past year was subpar.

The question now is, can Massy continue to progress, if not you have Modi or Lopez at 2B.
To me, I think Whit can settle in just fine @ 3B,Lopez @ SS and use a platoon of Massy & Mondi @ 2B.

But thas just me, I'm not about sentimental, only looking for results. Some guys can play great at several positions and some can only play great in their comfort zone positions. I for one want my best defensive SS playing 6 days a week. With Modi getting hurt all the time, he is not a steady viable option at 3B.

Not hear to argue, just stating facts.
[Reply]
TomBarndtsTwin 11:20 PM 12-17-2022
Originally Posted by Al Bundy:
Can BWJ actually play SS at an average level though?
He has at every level of baseball he’s played at on his way to the Bigs.

No reason to think he can’t.

The Royals have a history with several guys having ‘rough’ starts defensively and then end up being GG caliber defenders.

Let’s give the kid a chance before we give up on him after only one full MLB season.
[Reply]
ROYC75 11:21 PM 12-17-2022
Besides can somebody tell me when the last time was hype won ball games and facts did not?
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 11:36 PM 12-17-2022
Who the fuck is Whit?

You mean Bobby WITT?

Hard to take your views seriously when you are making that kind of fundamental fuck up.

Lopez is a UTIL guy. They should tell Witt to prep for and play SS all year. If his defense doesn’t progress to the levels his raw tools and minor league performance suggested it would, sure move him off Ss.

But his absolute highest value upside is if he plays a good SS on top of the offensive tools. In a year they’re clearly not trying to compete, let’s take the time to figure out if he can stick there or not.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 11:37 PM 12-17-2022
Originally Posted by ROYC75:
Besides can somebody tell me when the last time was hype won ball games and facts did not?
I don't think the plan is to win a lot of games this year.
[Reply]
Ocotillo 12:10 AM 12-18-2022
Originally Posted by Chiefspants:
I don't think the plan is to win a lot of games this year.
The odds are overwhelmingly against it.

The good news is that nobody in the AL Central has a high floor.

If the 2023 young Royals take a big step forward like the 2022 Orioles did, they won't be finishing in fourth like the O's did in a brutally tough AL East.
[Reply]
BWillie 12:10 AM 12-18-2022
Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry:
Here is what I would roll with on the lineup as of December 17
1. Melendez LF
2. Waters CF
3. Witt, Jr SS
4. Vinny DH
5. Perez C
6. Pratto 1B
7. Olivares RF
8. Mondesi 3B
9. Massey 2B
Mondesi is 3x superior defensively than Witt Jr. There is absolutely no reason to play him at SS if you don't have to. Especially now that players have to always play on the dirt.

I mean if you arent trying to win sure give it a whirl but it will not be pretty.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 12:13 AM 12-18-2022
Originally Posted by BWillie:
Mondesi is 3x superior defensively than Witt Jr. There is absolutely no reason to play him at SS if you don't have to. Especially now that players have to always play on the dirt.

I mean if you arent trying to win sure give it a whirl but it will not be pretty.
Mondesi is not 3x superior when he can not show he can last more than 60 games at the position.
[Reply]
Mecca 12:15 AM 12-18-2022
Mondesi should get an OFer glove if you'd like him to make it through a season.
[Reply]
Ocotillo 12:19 AM 12-18-2022
Originally Posted by BWillie:

The Bill James Handbook has Witt at -18 defensive runs saved, Mondesi at +1 DRS in abbreviated action.

Still, I agree with Duncan Idaho, Witt is their most valuable commodity. You keep him at the top of the defensive spectrum for now.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 12:20 AM 12-18-2022
Originally Posted by Mecca:
Mondesi should get an OFer glove if you'd like him to make it through a season.
And he still might not. He tore an ACL trying to step back onto a base during a pickoff play last year.

His body just might not be durable enough for 162 games of major league ball. It sucks.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 06:45 AM 12-18-2022
Originally Posted by Ocotillo:
The Bill James Handbook has Witt at -18 defensive runs saved, Mondesi at +1 DRS in abbreviated action.

Still, I agree with Duncan Idaho, Witt is their most valuable commodity. You keep him at the top of the defensive spectrum for now.

If he’s that bad defensively again, OK. Move him off SS.

It’s possible he just doesn’t consistently translate at SS in the majors. In which case you’d hope he can be a plus guy at 3B with the glove.

I just need to see him given another shot without a moron running the show.
[Reply]
Archie Bunker 08:30 AM 12-18-2022
A lot of young SS have the same problem, so I don’t see the issue since the ability and talent have been shown along the way. Worst case he’ll be an elite level 3B, which the Royals desperately need.

Least of our worries.
[Reply]
lewdog 09:33 AM 12-18-2022
I think you have to consider 2 days off a week for Mondesi.

Then again, I am not sure why we resigned him anyway although a one year deal is low risk I suppose.
[Reply]
Page 457 of 469
« First < 357407447453454455456457 458459460461467 > Last »
Up