6 Nick Loftin, SS
7 Kyle Isbel, OF
8 Khali Lee, OF
9 Jonathan Bowlan, RHP
10 Carlos Hernedez, RHP
[Reply]
tk13 09:42 AM 07-27-2021
Originally Posted by TomBarndtsTwin:
I appreciate what Hosmer did for KC, but don't want him back under any scenario. He would just be blocking someone else (Santana, Salvy and at some point, Pratto) as you stated.

Wouldn't it be $59 million still owed?

But as a fan of a random team, if I was interested in pursuing this, I would need $25 mil. of that covered minimum and a Top 100 prospect. If they aren't willing to do at least that, I'm not even listening. Hosmer doesn't provide enough offense at a position you really need that coming from, so he's a liability at this point on your team (not withstanding his occasional 'streaky' hitting when he gets hot). Hosmer's contract is an albatross, kind of like Ian Kennedy's with the Royals the last few years. It may not be a huge albatross, but it's still there. Padres will have to really sweeten the pot to get a deal done and get someone to take on that contract.

Edit: But now that I type all that out and remember how much Dayton supposedly loved Hosmer, he'll probably trade for him. :-)
The kicker is definitely the prospect that gets attached to Hosmer. It has to be really good. It seems like Robert Hassell's name has been thrown around a couple times, who seems to be the type of elite prospect that doesn't get traded as much anymore.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 09:45 AM 07-27-2021
Originally Posted by tk13:
If you want to make some good money tomorrow, put a few bucks on "Javy Baez, HBP in first at-bat"

Baseball would be so much better with more of this shit.
[Reply]
BWillie 09:51 AM 07-27-2021
If you want to make some good money tomorrow, put a few bucks on "Javy Baez, HBP in first at-bat"

Baseball. The only sport where people are giant vagainas about celebrating. The dude just won the game against a rival. Let 'em know it

Nice to see the times are changing somewhat, because this is becoming more common. Football..guy scores and does endzone dance and points and yells. Spikes ball. Nobody cares. Basketball, dunk over a guy, stare them down yell, nobody cares. Baseball..wahhhhh wahhhhh I'm gonna throw at you!
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 09:54 AM 07-27-2021
The kicker is definitely the prospect that gets attached to Hosmer. It has to be really good. It seems like Robert Hassell's name has been thrown around a couple times, who seems to be the type of elite prospect that doesn't get traded as much anymore.
Yeah, if I'm the Orioles and I can get a premium prospect like Robert Hassell (who was a top 10 pick last year) just by taking on a bad contract when I'm still in rebuild mode, I'm all over it.

I don't think the Royals have the financial leeway to do it, or the creativity to do it.
[Reply]
BWillie 09:59 AM 07-27-2021

What Brad Keller thinks about similar situations:

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/wh...p-was-over-top

"“And how he acted afterwards, to me and my whole team, was just over the top. It's like, 'Bro, you hit a homer. Congrats.' This wasn't a Game 7 homer. This wasn't a playoff homer. This wasn't even a homer to win the game. Ultimately, we won the game, 3-2, in the long run, but that gets kind of lost in the whole transaction of everything. It just seemed like, at the time, it was an April home run. 'Why are you throwing your bat to the dugout or whatever?' We had beefs in the past, as far as our teams, and that was just like fuel on the fire, basically, is what it seemed like."
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 10:14 AM 07-27-2021
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Yeah, if I'm the Orioles and I can get a premium prospect like Robert Hassell (who was a top 10 pick last year) just by taking on a bad contract when I'm still in rebuild mode, I'm all over it.

I don't think the Royals have the financial leeway to do it, or the creativity to do it.
Baltimore makes sense for Hosmer as a hitter as well. Camden Yards would be a good way to rebuild your career.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 10:20 AM 07-27-2021
Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry:
Baltimore makes sense for Hosmer as a hitter as well. Camden Yards would be a good way to rebuild your career.
Yankees, also. It helps them this year, he fits the park, and they get to buy a good prospect or two.
[Reply]
BWillie 10:38 AM 07-27-2021
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Yankees, also. It helps them this year, he fits the park, and they get to buy a good prospect or two.
How does Hosmer fit any park? Isn't he still one of the most ground ball hitting players that exists or has his brother the swing coach fixed that?
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 10:46 AM 07-27-2021
Originally Posted by BWillie:
How does Hosmer fit any park? Isn't he still one of the most ground ball hitting players that exists or has his brother the swing coach fixed that?
Short porch to his pull side with a low wall (unless they've changed it).

With his launch angle, that type of pull side home park is going to maximize his power production. Not that it would be good. But I could see a small uptick for him in NYC, which would get him to roughly league average with the bat.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 11:16 AM 07-27-2021
My big hesitation with the Hos nostalgia I'm seeing on my twitter feed is I have zero clue how he'd be able to co-exist with Pratto.
[Reply]
RockChalk 11:19 AM 07-27-2021
Originally Posted by Chiefspants:
My hesitation with the Hos nostalgia I'm seeing on my twitter feed is I have zero clue how he'd be able to co-exist with Pratto.
The only Royals fans who want Hosmer back are the same fans who got super excited when we signed Holland and Davis. They are not to be taken seriously.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 11:20 AM 07-27-2021
Originally Posted by RockChalk:
The only Royals fans who want Hosmer back are the same fans who got super excited when we signed Holland and Davis. They are not to be taken seriously.
GMDM made a lot of baffling trades where he traded real talent on our roster to cut costs to try to lock-up Hosmer (he implied later they wanted to offer 5/125 but Hos went for the additional years). He made enough of those moves that I can't completely discount that he won't operate against the logical play here to get his one true love back to the K.
[Reply]
RockChalk 11:25 AM 07-27-2021
Originally Posted by Chiefspants:
GMDM made a lot of baffling trades where he traded real talent on our roster to cut costs to try to lock-up Hosmer (he implied later they wanted to offer 5/125 but Hos went for the additional years). He made enough of those moves that I can't completely discount that he won't operate against the logical play here to get his one true love back to the K.
Oh I'm not discounting the possibility of GMDM doing something stupid....I was making a general comment about the fans on social media who seem excited about even a remote possibility of Hosmer coming back.
[Reply]
ROYC75 11:27 AM 07-27-2021
Loved the memories Hos, but your time is past us and we have new blood coming up to put in that spot!
[Reply]
tk13 11:28 AM 07-27-2021
I love Hosmer. His numbers aren't as great as his reputation in KC but the guy came up huge in several key critical moments so Royals fans should always love him.

But to me this is 100% the appeal of this trade idea. You have to force the Pads to give up one of their big names, and there seems to be more and more smoke that is what will happen. It would be a massive get. Especially in this era where nobody trades top prospects. I really don't think the Royals will do it but it's very tempting. You are not going to get this kind of talent for Whit Merrifield, or Duffy or anyone else.

It looks like if Eric Hosmer goes, so does one of the Padres’ top four prospects.
That’s what is being discussed.

— Kevin Acee (@sdutKevinAcee) July 27, 2021

[Reply]
Page 275 of 440
« First < 175225265271272273274275 276277278279285325375 > Last »
Up