ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 8
< 1234 5678 >
The Meltdown Lounge>Alex Okafor re-signs
Tribal Warfare 11:30 AM 07-20-2021

Free agent pass-rusher Alex Okafor is signing back with the #Chiefs, source said. He gets a 1-year deal and will return to KC, his home for the last two seasons.

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) July 20, 2021

[Reply]
RunKC 02:04 PM 07-20-2021
Originally Posted by LoneWolf:
Why do you think this? We have two of the best interior pass rushers in the entire NFL in Jones and Reed. Clark is going to play and he has shown in the past that he is a good pass rusher and I expect him to have a ton of incentive to perform based on his uncertain future after the season.

Then you have Dana, Kaindoh, Okafor, Charlton, and kicking Jones out to DE on obvious passing downs as options on the other side. Not to mention a lightning fast outside backer in Gay and good blitzing safeties in Honey Badger and Dirty Dan.

The pass rush will be fine.
It wasn’t good last year. It disappeared for long stretches of time including in our worst games.

Jarran Reed isn’t going to make the impact we hope if we have Jack shit at DE.
[Reply]
kcclone 02:12 PM 07-20-2021
Originally Posted by LoneWolf:
Why do you think this? We have two of the best interior pass rushers in the entire NFL in Jones and Reed. Clark is going to play and he has shown in the past that he is a good pass rusher and I expect him to have a ton of incentive to perform based on his uncertain future after the season.

Then you have Dana, Kaindoh, Okafor, Charlton, and kicking Jones out to DE on obvious passing downs as options on the other side. Not to mention a lightning fast outside backer in Gay and good blitzing safeties in Honey Badger and Dirty Dan.

The pass rush will be fine.

Some of these guys are going to have to way over-achieve for us to not be trash at pass rush. Not having any pass rush from your DE's is not going to cut it all the way through the playoffs and into the Super Bowl. At some point, you're going to need to get pressure with your DE's.
[Reply]
O.city 02:12 PM 07-20-2021
Originally Posted by staylor26:
People seem to think you can only get pressure from the outside, and only from your edge rushers.

There’s a reason the Rams have overachievers on the edge every year….
It's not so much that, but more so that without any outside push, it's easier to double guys inside.

I think they potentially add some other help, or one of these young dudes take off though, but it's not ideal at this point.
[Reply]
O.city 02:17 PM 07-20-2021
DE is a spot that if you want a real ass kicker day 1, you're either spending a shit load in free agency or drafting him super high in the first round.

The Chiefs just didn't have the resources this offseason, plus they've expanded those into Frank Clark.
[Reply]
RealSNR 02:32 PM 07-20-2021
Originally Posted by RunKC:
It wasn’t good last year. It disappeared for long stretches of time including in our worst games.

Jarran Reed isn’t going to make the impact we hope if we have Jack shit at DE.
Jarran Reed wasn't here last year.
[Reply]
Wisconsin_Chief 02:35 PM 07-20-2021
I think the positive way to spin this is it's not really any worse than it was last year, and actually can only get better.

All we really lost was Kpassagnon who was pure garbage. We get Charlton back healthy, Danna has another year of experience and a full off-season in the weight room, and we have Okafor back. They are obviously assuming Clark will play or they would be making a bigger push to upgrade the position. I mean if it comes down to it we are loaded at DT and Jones can spend most of his time outside, which he seems excited about.

You add Reed to the mix along with the potential development of guys like Danna, Wharton & possibly Ward and we are better overall than we were last year on the entirety of the d-line, and we did make it to our second straight Super Bowl.

I mean, we'll be fine. I'd prefer to be a little more comfortable, but there's only so much that can be done in one offseason with a salary cap.
[Reply]
RunKC 02:40 PM 07-20-2021
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
Jarran Reed wasn't here last year.
And no we’re don’t know if Frank Clark will be here this year
[Reply]
Detoxing 02:42 PM 07-20-2021
I wonder if Wharton will play some DE
[Reply]
Wisconsin_Chief 02:43 PM 07-20-2021
Also, surprised nobody has mentioned this yet but Olivier Vernon is still out there. Started 13 games and had 9 sacks for the Browns.

There's still upgrades to be had if they think we need them.
[Reply]
Wisconsin_Chief 02:46 PM 07-20-2021
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
I wonder if Wharton will play some DE
I've been wondering about this, too. He's built much more like a rotational DE than DT. I'm sure he'll get a look there.

They know what they're doing. We'll be fine.
[Reply]
ptlyon 02:48 PM 07-20-2021
I'm not sure if somebody has mentioned this yet, so sorry if Q, but the Kansas city Chiefs (my most favorist team) is pissed as hell about losing the SB and is going to rape faces this year.

Thanks for listening.
[Reply]
RealSNR 02:49 PM 07-20-2021
Originally Posted by kcclone:
Some of these guys are going to have to way over-achieve for us to not be trash at pass rush. Not having any pass rush from your DE's is not going to cut it all the way through the playoffs and into the Super Bowl. At some point, you're going to need to get pressure with your DE's.
Here's a random example of a pretty good DL constructed in the traditional way, where the ends are your pass rush workhorses and the interior just clog shit up as much as possible.

DE: 14.5 sacks
DT: 6 sacks
DT: 2 sacks
DE: 8.5 sacks

For the record, that was the 2009 Minnesota Vikings with Jared Allen and Ray Edwards at DE and the Williams wall on the interior.

The Chiefs are clearly banking on either Charlton, Danna, or some other guy to take a step up in production. Let's say Danna does. He's not gonna be an All Pro or anything, but let's say he secures a starting job and does better than Kpassagnon did. Is it so out of the question to think the Chiefs can't get the following sack numbers out of:

DE: 6 sacks
DT: 14.5 sacks
DT: 8.5 sacks
DE: 2 sacks

No, I don't think Chris Jones is going to get 14.5 sacks, but I think he could get double digit for sure. Nor do I think our second DE is going to only get 2 sacks, and maybe you bump that up 1 or 2.

And besides that (which I know people are going to scream at me about) sacks aren't everything. I know our defense is constructed differently. I know relying on our interior guys to rush the passer means we'll probably be deficient at stopping the run, and I'm not saying our DL is just as talented as the 2009 Minnesota Vikings.

What I'm saying is the Chiefs are clearly rolling the dice on purpose with the players we have at DE. They'll continually evaluate the position and try to acquire help when they need it and if it's practical or feasible. And we shouldn't underestimate "good enough" play from our DEs, which they have the potential to achieve if their plan on the interior goes well.
[Reply]
Detoxing 02:49 PM 07-20-2021
Originally Posted by Wisconsin_Chief:
I've been wondering about this, too. He's built much more like a rotational DE than DT.
Mmmhrmmm....I can see him playing some DE. They gotta find a way to keep him on the field. Wharton/Clark/Reed/Jones are our 4 best lineman, so they gotta find a way to make that work.
[Reply]
RealSNR 02:50 PM 07-20-2021
Originally Posted by RunKC:
And no we’re don’t know if Frank Clark will be here this year
Addition by subtraction, as far as I'm concerned.

I don't really view going from Clark to Danna as a downgrade. Clark was that bad.
[Reply]
Detoxing 02:52 PM 07-20-2021
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
Clark was that bad.
No he wasn't. At least we can count on Clark to play his assignment and not get washed out on running plays. We can't count on Danna to do that.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 8
< 1234 5678 >
Up