ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 126 of 1207
« First < 2676116122123124125126 1271281291301361762266261126 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Fire Me Boy! What's For Dinner? Thread
Buehler445 08:45 AM 07-15-2015
Since the other one got too big, let's keep the food truck rolling. Whacha got?

Vol 2. http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=285408
[Reply]
Donger 01:43 PM 03-17-2016
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
Alton Brown has an oven method for roux. It takes a little longer, but it's almost entirely hands-off and has less chance of scorching. I use it for gumbo, works great.
Please share.

I do like an oil based roux, though. Doesn't smell quite as good as butter, but still nice.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 01:53 PM 03-17-2016
Originally Posted by Donger:
Please share.

I do like an oil based roux, though. Doesn't smell quite as good as butter, but still nice.
Just follow the recipe for the roux part. Use however you need to. His uses oil, not butter.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...bo-recipe.html
[Reply]
Donger 02:05 PM 03-17-2016
Just follow the recipe for the roux part. Use however you need to. His uses oil, not butter.

Slow-cooked roux... Nice!
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 02:07 PM 03-17-2016
Slow-cooked roux... Nice!
ATK says you can toast the flour in a dry pan before adding the oil, just get it darkened some to seriously speed up the time, too. But I've never tried that.
[Reply]
Buehler445 02:09 PM 03-17-2016
:-) @ Hot Pocket review. I knew you wouldn't disappoint.

Skip NOLA. Go to Baton Rouge, it's an hour north.

Parrain's (chargilled oysters)
Jambalaya Shop (jambalaya, pasta jambalaya)
Tony's (it's a seafood market, get the boudin balls)
Benoit's (sausages)
Save More Market (po boys)
The Chimes (beer, apps)
I'm going to do my damnedest never to go back there ever, but if it ever arises I'm definitely seeking some consultation.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 02:13 PM 03-17-2016
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
:-) @ Hot Pocket review. I knew you wouldn't disappoint.

I'm going to do my damnedest never to go back there ever, but if it ever arises I'm definitely seeking some consultation.
I've spent probably a month there over the course of a small handful of visits. I love Baton Rouge. Been to Nola a few times, and aside from a few restaurants, prefer Baton Rouge.
[Reply]
scho63 02:45 PM 03-17-2016
Last night I cooked a frozen Stouffer's Cheese Lasagna. It used to be good but once again, they changed the formula and it was a huge disappointment. The lasagna noodle was so thick it was disgusting and the amount of cheese in between layers was next to nothing. There was also way too much tomato sauce and it was swimming in sauce. The only positive was the cheese on top was a decent amount.

I give it a 4 of 10
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 03:01 PM 03-17-2016
Originally Posted by scho63:
Last night I cooked a frozen Stouffer's Cheese Lasagna. It used to be good but once again, they changed the formula and it was a huge disappointment. The lasagna noodle was so thick it was disgusting and the amount of cheese in between layers was next to nothing. There was also way too much tomato sauce and it was swimming in sauce. The only positive was the cheese on top was a decent amount.

I give it a 4 of 10
Try this: Ravioli lasagna.

2 packages of frozen ravioli - I like one each of beef and cheese, but do whatever you like
1 package of shredded mozz
2 jars favorite spaghetti sauce
Parmesan

Preheat oven to 400.

In a 9x13 dish, put a little sauce on the bottom. Put down a layer of frozen raviolis. Top with some sauce and cheese.

Repeat.

If you have room, repeat for a third layer.

Top with more sauce and mozzarella and parmesan. Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour. Take the foil off for the last 10 minutes.
[Reply]
Donger 03:14 PM 03-17-2016
Jesus... I just puked in my mouth, FMB.
[Reply]
Ming the Merciless 03:24 PM 03-17-2016

i wonder how long the baked roux would keep in a ziploc

like could you bake a bunch up and just use as needed? keep in a ziploc in the fridge like curry paste?
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 03:50 PM 03-17-2016
Jesus... I just puked in my mouth, FMB.

It's actually pretty tasty.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 05:50 PM 03-17-2016
Originally Posted by Pawnmower:
i wonder how long the baked roux would keep in a ziploc

like could you bake a bunch up and just use as needed? keep in a ziploc in the fridge like curry paste?
You can freeze it for like six months if it's covered very well and very tightly. Since it's basically just fat, it will absorb other flavors, so you need to really wrap it.

I'd think in the fridge it'd keep for a week or so as long as it's just the fat and flour.

I'd probably go for a mason jar or something similar instead. If you spring a leak in the Ziplock you're gonna have a mess on your hands.
[Reply]
scho63 07:11 PM 03-17-2016
Try this: Ravioli lasagna.

2 packages of frozen ravioli - I like one each of beef and cheese, but do whatever you like
1 package of shredded mozz
2 jars favorite spaghetti sauce
Parmesan

Preheat oven to 400.

In a 9x13 dish, put a little sauce on the bottom. Put down a layer of frozen raviolis. Top with some sauce and cheese.

Repeat.

If you have room, repeat for a third layer.

Top with more sauce and mozzarella and parmesan. Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour. Take the foil off for the last 10 minutes.
It's ironic that you posted a recipe about ravioli because I recently complained in this thread about the poor quality of those as well. I used to love Celentano large round frozen cheese ravioli and they did the same thing, increase the dough and decreased the cheese.

I was previously talking about how GREAT Mrs T pierogies are and they have remained full of filling and taste fantastic. All flavors
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 07:13 PM 03-17-2016
Originally Posted by scho63:
It's ironic that you posted a recipe about ravioli because I recently complained in this thread about the poor quality of those as well. I used to love Celentano large round frozen cheese ravioli and they did the same thing, increase the dough and decreased the cheese.

I was previously talking about how GREAT Mrs T pierogies are and they have remained full of filling and taste fantastic. All flavors

I do recall that now. I didn't think the Celentanos were that bad, but aside from homemade, I don't really have a point of reference for them. And nothing compares to homemade.

I'm still a little dumbfounded at Donger's response. What's wrong with ravioli, sauce, and cheese? Unless it's the frozen ravioli you find repulsive....
[Reply]
scho63 07:18 PM 03-17-2016
I do recall that now. I didn't think the Celentanos were that bad, but aside from homemade, I don't really have a point of reference for them. And nothing compares to homemade.

I'm still a little dumbfounded at Donger's response. What's wrong with ravioli, sauce, and cheese? Unless it's the frozen ravioli you find repulsive....
I tried Rosetto frozen last time and they were much worse than Celentano. Bland as all hell.
I have a pretty famous local place called "The Italian Store" in Arlington VA that I am near a few times a month but they don't make fresh ravioli on any type of schedule so it's hard to buy them.
I would buy fresh from a true Italian place if and when I can find them.
[Reply]
Page 126 of 1207
« First < 2676116122123124125126 1271281291301361762266261126 > Last »
Up