View Poll Results: Pay Orlando Brown Jr a 6 yr $145 mil contract
Yes 55 47.41%
No 61 52.59%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll
Page 12 of 343
« First < 289101112 131415162262112 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Orlando Brown Projected Contract 6 year $145 mil
dlphg9 08:17 PM 03-28-2022
So there's an article on NFL network saying that Orlando Brown is expected to sign for 6 years $145 mil.

That comes to $24.16 mil/yr and makes him the highest paid offensive lineman in football. It also would give him the 19th highest salary per year in the NFL

How would you feel if that is the contract he ended up signing?

I'm fine with it. He is a top 5 LT and he's only 26 next season. A young great LT is a guy you can't let leave.
[Reply]
loochy 01:22 PM 05-27-2022
Originally Posted by Sofa King:
Give it to him, make it a 6-7 year long term deal and we'll watch it become a steal in a couple years when the cap explodes. Lock him up.
Yup. Inflation/cap raises is so large that it makes sense to go ahead and pay him on a long contract, like the Chiefs did with Mahomes.
[Reply]
Red Dawg 01:32 PM 05-27-2022
He's not worth that shit. He wasn't that good.
[Reply]
tredadda 01:40 PM 05-27-2022
Originally Posted by Red Dawg:
Who do you replace him with?
[Reply]
smithandrew051 01:40 PM 05-27-2022
We extend this piece of shit yet?
[Reply]
PHOG 01:50 PM 05-27-2022
Bart Vatch!!?!?1!"!"?? Get 'er dun!
[Reply]
Red Dawg 01:52 PM 05-27-2022
Originally Posted by tredadda:
Who do you replace him with?
Play him on the tag and then draft one. Just admit the goof.
[Reply]
staylor26 01:54 PM 05-27-2022
In what fucking sense is getting a legit starting LT and Nick Bolton for the 31st pick a “goof”?

You’re beyond fucking reeruned.

And you still didn’t even answer his question. “Draft one” isn’t an answer when you’re picking outside of the top 20.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 02:01 PM 05-27-2022
It's all about the structure.

If it's 6 years, $145M with this structure, I have no problem with it:

Year | Base | Signing Bonus Proration | Other Bonus | Cap Hit
1 | $4M| 6M | 2M| 12M
2 | $4M| 6M | 8M| 18M
3 | $4M| 6M | 12M| 22MM
4 | $4M| 6M | 16M| 26M
5 | $4M| 6M | 20M| 30M
6 | $4M| -- | 30M*| 34M (*6M is guaranteed)

A deal like this gets you to $146M in total dollars. Big whoop. It's about what is guaranteed and what is actually going to be paid out.

In this scenario, you could guarantee him $74M (30M signing bonus, base years 1-3,other bonuses years 1-3, $6M in year 6) pretty easily and have an easy out of the deal after year 4 if you wanted. Effectively, this would be a 4/82 deal, with the option to either have $12M in dead cap hit in year 5 on a cut, or to pick up year 5 at $30M and have $6M in dead cap the next year if they cut him.

So the price tag would be 6/146M, but it isn't that in REAL money.
[Reply]
TEX 02:07 PM 05-27-2022
That's where I'm at if he REALLY expects to be the highest paid LT. Does he do anything better than all other LT's?
[Reply]
Wisconsin_Chief 02:15 PM 05-27-2022
Originally Posted by TEX:
That's where I'm at if he REALLY expects to be the highest paid LT. Does he do anything better than all other LT's?
Yeah, this is tough. LT seems to be a good spot to approach as we did WR and just draft someone for the long term. Even if you have to trade up, the financial burden of paying Brown that much is just a lot to handle if you want to field a competitive roster.

Then again, the cap should soar the next year or two. I don't know, this is almost as difficult as the Hill decision, but much like that I'm sure they have a number they are willing to pay Brown, and if he doesn't want to accept it they'll move on. He needs to take a pretty large step forward this year to deserve that kind of coin.

Luckily, I have full faith in whatever Veach and Reid decide. They know his value more than any of us, obviously. If they want him here, he'll be here.
[Reply]
BossChief 02:18 PM 05-27-2022
Originally Posted by Coochie liquor:
Does he even have an agent yet? Dude is holding some of our funds hostage by not having an agent and getting a deal done.
Andy said yesterday the holdup is him hiring an agent.

This is definitely getting to the point of becoming a legit concern. What’s the holdup? He’s had months to get this done and still hasn’t even juried an agent yet?

That’s a sign that he wants top dollar and who can blame him?

He’s a 3x pro bowler that plays the second most important position in the sport and just turned 26, so this next contract will be for his prime years.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:33 PM 05-27-2022
Originally Posted by Wisconsin_Chief:
Yeah, this is tough. LT seems to be a good spot to approach as we did WR and just draft someone for the long term. Even if you have to trade up, the financial burden of paying Brown that much is just a lot to handle if you want to field a competitive roster.

Then again, the cap should soar the next year or two. I don't know, this is almost as difficult as the Hill decision, but much like that I'm sure they have a number they are willing to pay Brown, and if he doesn't want to accept it they'll move on. He needs to take a pretty large step forward this year to deserve that kind of coin.

Luckily, I have full faith in whatever Veach and Reid decide. They know his value more than any of us, obviously. If they want him here, he'll be here.
What you lose in top end you get back in positional scarcity and longevity. An OL is going to age significantly better (major injury notwithstanding).

With Hill you started to see some glimpses of decline last year and figure you have a couple more years of high end productivity before another couple years of run-out where you could see him decline fairly quickly.

With Brown you could sign him to a 6 year deal and expect him to be ascending or in his peak years for the whole damn thing.

Not an easy question but good players at key positions cost money. I mean Williams deal has fake money at the end whereas you could reasonably expect a Brown deal to be one he plays on the whole time. Nobody really signs 7 year deals but I suspect he may have his eye on something like 6/$140. Can we justify $23 million/yr? Eh...maybe? Probably?

Better question is can we justify not giving Patrick Mahomes a quality LT he can grow with throughout his prime seasons.
[Reply]
RunKC 02:35 PM 05-27-2022
Tuckdaddy post..
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:37 PM 05-27-2022
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
It's all about the structure.

If it's 6 years, $145M with this structure, I have no problem with it:

Year | Base | Signing Bonus Proration | Other Bonus | Cap Hit
1 | $4M| 6M | 2M| 12M
2 | $4M| 6M | 8M| 18M
3 | $4M| 6M | 12M| 22MM
4 | $4M| 6M | 16M| 26M
5 | $4M| 6M | 20M| 30M
6 | $4M| -- | 30M*| 34M (*6M is guaranteed)

A deal like this gets you to $146M in total dollars. Big whoop. It's about what is guaranteed and what is actually going to be paid out.

In this scenario, you could guarantee him $74M (30M signing bonus, base years 1-3,other bonuses years 1-3, $6M in year 6) pretty easily and have an easy out of the deal after year 4 if you wanted. Effectively, this would be a 4/82 deal, with the option to either have $12M in dead cap hit in year 5 on a cut, or to pick up year 5 at $30M and have $6M in dead cap the next year if they cut him.

So the price tag would be 6/146M, but it isn't that in REAL money.
So you're talking about 5/$122?

That's nearly $24.5 million/season. I don't know that I can get to "don't have a problem" with that one. That's pretty damn steep.

I'd be more inclined to treat the whole thing as 'effective' guarantees, or more accurately structure it in a way that all parties expect the deal to go the full 6 years absent extraordinary circumstances, and make it 6/$140.

Your AAV just makes me awfully skittish and I don't see that he has any reasonable grounds to demand it.
[Reply]
srvy 02:40 PM 05-27-2022
No shit fuck that noise
[Reply]
Page 12 of 343
« First < 289101112 131415162262112 > Last »
Up