ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>If we could have one draft a redo, what would it be?
gordonelloyd 12:03 AM 03-21-2024
I haven’t seen any threads on this kind of hypothetical and maybe nobody is interested. But I think it’s fascinating to think about.

To me the obvious choice would have been to draft George Kittle at tight end in 2017. He went to San Francisco at number five and we spent number four on a nobody wide receiver.

With that choice I think we might’ve won every Super Bowl since Mahomes became a starter. Even when we lost to Tampa Bay, it might’ve made a difference. The problems in that game were terrible blocking because of tackle injuries and Kittle would’ve helped there. Another problem was dropped passes in the end zone both by Hill and the running back [Williams, I think it was, although that would’ve been a really difficult catch.] kittle would’ve helped there too.

Anybody else have any comments on a better what if choice. The 2017 draft also offered several other possibilities including Aaron Jones, Alvin Kamara, and Cooper Kupp. But none would’ve made as much difference as Kittle.

And I think having to tight ends like kettle and Kelce would have been almost impossible for the lead to defend.

In 2020 taking either Jonathan Taylor or tee, or Tee Higgins [or almost anybody] would obviously have been better than taking Edwards as running back with our first round pick. But that would not have made as much difference in my view.
[Reply]
KC_Lee 06:46 AM 03-21-2024
1985; Jerry Rice (Pick #16) over Ethan Horton (Pick #15)
[Reply]
gordonelloyd 11:13 AM 03-21-2024
That’s a great choice. I should’ve specified. I was kind of looking at this issue in the Mahomes era.
[Reply]
Dante84 12:11 PM 03-21-2024
Originally Posted by gordonelloyd:
That’s a great choice. I should’ve specified. I was kind of looking at this issue in the Mahomes era.
Clyde for Tee Higgins

EDIT - I re-read the last line of the OP and see you called that out. I just think that was such a waste of a pick because of all the production we missed out on. Additionally it would have limited the Bengals as well, since he was the Bengals leading receiver in the AFC Championship game we lost. I think we could have beat the Rams and had another ring.
[Reply]
Mecca 12:42 PM 03-21-2024
Breeland Speaks pick 46...

Jessie Bates pick 54
Fred Warner pick 70
[Reply]
In58men 12:57 PM 03-21-2024
Mecole Hardman #56

DK Metcalf #64
[Reply]
Chargem 01:01 PM 03-21-2024
DK Metcalf instead of Mecole Hardman
[Reply]
Nightfyre 02:33 PM 03-21-2024
Dan Marino 1983
And I don't think it's particularly close.
[Reply]
RunKC 02:51 PM 03-21-2024
Love DJ but Aaron Rodgers was there.

Recently it’s probably Sam LaPorta over FAU
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:17 PM 03-21-2024
I mean it's gotta be Fred Warner over Speaks.

Speaks was a fat, worthless piece of shit. Fred Warner might just make the Hall of Fame someday (almost certainly would but/for Patrick Mahomes).

Then again, I don't think he changes any outcomes. I don't think we beat the Patriots with him as a rookie, we won the SB in 19, 22 and 23. he doesn't change the TB Super Bowl.

The only question is whether or not he helps us beat the Bengals in 2021 and I just don't think he does.

Now he's 27 and has cap hits of about $19 million/season for the next 3 years. So should we instead be looking at something more recent in time? Someone more likely to pay dividends for the next several years?

2021 didn't have a 1st or a 3rd and we got Bolton, Creed and Trey Smith.

I'll go ahead and say Daron Bland over Darian Kinnard in the 2022 draft.

Because anything prior to that really isn't likely to have meaningfully changed anything. Best hypothetical I can come up with is what if we traded the 1st and 3rd we gave up for Brown and a 2 (Bolton) to move up and take Darrisaw. I don't know if that was truly available but if it were, as much as I like Bolton, I think that's a deal you make.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 04:41 PM 03-21-2024
If we’re talking the Mahomes era and I get one do-very, I think I’m picking Terry McLaurin instead of Mecole Hardman.

I’ll pretend we know that Hill isn’t going to get in actual trouble and just add that piece.

Does it change 2020’s Super Bowl?

Maybe in a cascading effect. Maybe with that third weapon under lock, the Chiefs decide not to go after Edwards-Helaire in that draft and instead reinforce the OL. Or cut Watkins and sign a FA along the OL.

All time, Marino over Blackledge is the pretty obvious choice.
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 06:24 PM 03-21-2024
DK Metcalf is the one that CP complains about the most lol
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:20 PM 03-21-2024
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
If we’re talking the Mahomes era and I get one do-very, I think I’m picking Terry McLaurin instead of Mecole Hardman.

I’ll pretend we know that Hill isn’t going to get in actual trouble and just add that piece.

Does it change 2020’s Super Bowl?

Maybe in a cascading effect. Maybe with that third weapon under lock, the Chiefs decide not to go after Edwards-Helaire in that draft and instead reinforce the OL. Or cut Watkins and sign a FA along the OL.

All time, Marino over Blackledge is the pretty obvious choice.
I'd say Joe Montana over Steve Fuller all time.

I still think Dan Marino's lack of a championship has more to do with him than people want to admit. And I think Montana's 4 rings have a HELL of a lot to do with him.
[Reply]
gordonelloyd 08:46 PM 03-21-2024
Really pleased that the contributors on this board that I most respect since I have joined about a year ago have responded to my original post.

All-time I definitely agree about drafting Montana.. There has probably been no bigger mistake in drafting, other than obviously Brady. Marino would have been fantastic also but you have to look at the fact he never won a Super Bowl.

But in the Mahomes era , in terms of impacts on winning more Super Bowls, I am surprised there’s no support for Kittle being the worst miss.

I am pretty sure he would’ve made enough difference in 2018 when we lost to Brady and overtime on the coin flip.

We won in 2019 and certainly would have been even better over San Francisco if we had Kittle.

Like I said in my original post Kittle might even have made a difference in the 2020 loss to Bradynin the Super Bowl as it might have compensated sufficiently for the inadequate, blocking by injured OTs and added some surer hands for end zone drops.

In 2021 I definitely think Kittle would’ve made enough difference for us to beat the Bengals and then to beat the Rams. of course drafting Higgins instead of Clyde Edwards-Helaire would’ve more clearly changed the Bengals Chiefs game. But I think kittle would’ve changed it enough as well.

In 2022 kettle might not have mattered as much when we won the Super Bowl, but he certainly would have improved our receiver room last year when we want it again in 2023

And going forward for our three peat, and four Pete and on, we wouldn’t need to worry about replacing Kelsey anymore.

Anyway, I certainly respect the choices of others, but I’d be interested in why you didn’t kittle would’ve had the maximum impact.
[Reply]
Rain Man 08:57 PM 03-21-2024
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
I'd say Joe Montana over Steve Fuller all time.

I still think Dan Marino's lack of a championship has more to do with him than people want to admit. And I think Montana's 4 rings have a HELL of a lot to do with him.
Yeah, but how would Montana have fared in the Marv Levy/John Mackovic offenses? I still think I'd go with Marino as my all-time do-over, assuming of course that there was no butterfly effect on 2017.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up