ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 63 of 3903
« First < 13535960616263 64656667731131635631063 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
philfree 11:58 AM 03-07-2020
The wife and I are scheduled to go to PCB Florida next week. The only state between here and there that has the virus is Tennessee and then of course Florida. We will stay at Graceland in Memphis and then the Renaissance Hotel in Montgomery Alabama. When we get to PCB we'll be staying in a beach side condo. Most of this is already paid for so if we cancel our trip we're going to be out a lot of money. I'm looking everyday for new outbreaks as I try and decide what to do. The wife has COPD. Should we stay or do we go?
[Reply]
suzzer99 12:07 PM 03-07-2020
The COPD complication is scary. I've heard the airlines are giving free reschedules for C19 related issues. Not sure about hotels.
[Reply]
Three7s 12:15 PM 03-07-2020
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
480,000 deaths? :-)

Yeah, if that happens, we're all dead to this thing. But it won't.
[Reply]
suzzer99 12:23 PM 03-07-2020
Originally Posted by Three7s:
Yeah, if that happens, we're all dead to this thing. But it won't.
No it will mean .15% of the US population will be dead before this thing burns itself out. Which is actually lower than what many experts have been saying could happen from the beginning (.5-2% fatal case rate, 20-70% of the population gets infected). The sources many of you get your information from are lying to you.
[Reply]
TimeForWasp 12:28 PM 03-07-2020
Straight off the Aids tree.
Attached: virus.png (41.5 KB) 
[Reply]
njchiefs 03-07-2020, 12:31 PM
This message has been deleted by njchiefs.
philfree 12:34 PM 03-07-2020
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
The COPD complication is scary. I've heard the airlines are giving free reschedules for C19 related issues. Not sure about hotels.
We're driving hence the two hotel stays. To get the lower room rate I paid up front and because of that it says it's non refundable. We'll stop three times for gas so we'll have at least 5 chances for exposure before we get to the beach. I could be wrong but I think most people who vacate to PCB drive and they come from Alabama, Tennessee, Kentucky and then there will be a some cars in the parking garage from NY and Canada. So assessing the risk of contracting the virus seems low but all it takes is one person to start the spread in an area so I'm not sure what to do.
[Reply]
suzzer99 12:36 PM 03-07-2020
Originally Posted by njchiefs:
Of course I don’t want my family to get sick. But there are so many more diseases and illnesses that they are FAR more likely to contract. You can’t sit around and be paralyzed by fear. The death rates quoted are way overestimated, because to date only the sickest have even been tested. I don’t doubt that many more have had it and thought they had a bad cold. Irrational fear is exactly that. Irrational. People stopped drinking Corona beer for crying out loud. Educate yourself. You take a calculated risk every time you cross the street. But if you want to sit in the basement with your family, go ahead. This is not the plague. Really, it’s not. Swine flu, H1N1, SARS. The world didn’t come to an end. And the stock market was due for a correction. This was good excuse.
FWIW I'm not worried about myself personally as I'm healthy and relatively young. I took a calculated risk to go out and play poker and go to the gym yesterday. I'm going out to a bar with friends tonight.

However I am worried about loved ones, especially if the hospital system gets overloaded. I know a lot of people who are still completely pooh-poohing this, which worries me that they aren't altering their daily habits at all to wash their hands more or avoid close contact. My mom, who has hypertension, had a little kid cough in her face the other day and was joking about it. I'm like Mom - please try to be a little more careful. My Dad OTOH is completely terrified. I'll let you guess who watches which news networks.

Maybe right a little panic wouldn't be the worst thing if it gets people to wash their hands more and be a little more cautious.
[Reply]
suzzer99 01:04 PM 03-07-2020

A man who drives for taxi or ride-hailing services in Queens tested positive for the coronavirus. The new case prompted more than 40 doctors, nurses and other workers at the Queens hospital he visited to go into self-quarantine, officials said on Saturday. https://t.co/XZ1YIEx040

— The New York Times (@nytimes) March 7, 2020

Another problem. A single case forces 40 front line health workers into quarantine.
[Reply]
cdcox 01:10 PM 03-07-2020
Originally Posted by philfree:
We're driving hence the two hotel stays. To get the lower room rate I paid up front and because of that it says it's non refundable. We'll stop three times for gas so we'll have at least 5 chances for exposure before we get to the beach. I could be wrong but I think most people who vacate to PCB drive and they come from Alabama, Tennessee, Kentucky and then there will be a some cars in the parking garage from NY and Canada. So assessing the risk of contracting the virus seems low but all it takes is one person to start the spread in an area so I'm not sure what to do.
I don't think the geography of the places you're traveling through are significantly better or worse than where you are living now. The major difference in risk will be the activities on your trip vs being at home. Your wife's COPD is the only thing that gives me pause. Limit going out, Wipe doorknobs and surfaces where ever you stay, wash your hands frequently and go have a good time.
[Reply]
MagicHef 01:15 PM 03-07-2020
Clean your phone often, especially if you put it down anywhere. The alcohol wipes used for injection site prep work well.
[Reply]
philfree 01:30 PM 03-07-2020
Originally Posted by cdcox:
I don't think the geography of the places you're traveling through are significantly better or worse than where you are living now. The major difference in risk will be the activities on your trip vs being at home. Your wife's COPD is the only thing that gives me pause. Limit going out, Wipe doorknobs and surfaces where ever you stay, wash your hands frequently and go have a good time.
Here in Greene County Mo they have tested some people and the test came back negative but they are watching 5 people. There has been one death of an elderly man in the Florida Panhandle. Santa Rosa County which is between Ft Walton and Pensacola. He had been out of the country but they didn't/wouldn't say where.
[Reply]
Mennonite 01:30 PM 03-07-2020
We will stay at Graceland in Memphis

You'll be fine. Keep calm, and do the clam.

[Reply]
Bwana 01:31 PM 03-07-2020
The local Walmart crapper paper section. Come on people, get a fricken grip.

[Reply]
Chief Pagan 01:35 PM 03-07-2020
Originally Posted by Chiefspants:
Yep. Very concerned for my parents, my in laws, and my grandma, who lives with my parents. I work in a school, all 110 of my students are pretty much walking Petri dishes of sickness so I’m happy how immune children have been - and with how tested my immune system is I’m ready to take it on.

I like how Seattle’s schools are staying open so parents (healthcare workers and emergency responders) can stay working and children stay in a safe and monitored environment. We can get through this together.
I know children haven't been dying from it. But do they know they are immune?

Kids might be able to spread it without showing symptoms.
[Reply]
PHOG 01:36 PM 03-07-2020
https://www.yahoo.com/news/hotel-col...154017056.html

Where will it all end? :-)
[Reply]
Page 63 of 3903
« First < 13535960616263 64656667731131635631063 > Last »
Up