ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 64 of 319
« First < 14546061626364 6566676874114164 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Veach's '21 Offseason Plan to Keep Us Thriving: Let's speculate
Dante84 10:03 AM 02-08-2021
In order to prevent us wasting precious years of Patrick Mahomes' career, Veach needs to work some magic this offseason. What's your advice for him?
[Reply]
smithandrew051 03:37 PM 02-13-2021
Originally Posted by TRR:
I don’t think you can operate with hopes of Fisher coming back in 2021. I also don’t see Allegretti as anything more than competition/depth.

Worst case scenario, Schwartz retires and Fisher can’t make it back in 2021 or beyond (set to hit FA after 2021). Your left with a rookie who hasn’t played in two years at OT, questions from guard to guard, and what else? I think it’s a must for Veach to figure out how to land a quality OT in free agency. Then our hopes turn into nice to haves.
Oh I don’t like that OL situation, but that’s what I expect to happen.

If somehow the situation is better than that AND we upgrade at WR and DE, then Veach is a literal miracle worker.
[Reply]
BossChief 03:39 PM 02-13-2021
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
I just find it weird that people have trusted Veach when it comes to other positions. Now all of a sudden we’re fucked at the offensive line if they don’t do what people want.
They just remember the last 2 Super Bowls. The OL cost us this SB and almost cost us last years.

They aren’t taking into account the moves made to fix the OL from year before last.

Osemele
LDT
fisher
Niang
Schwartz.

Cant prepare for that volume of losses to a unit that depends on cohesiveness to thrive.
[Reply]
BossChief 03:42 PM 02-13-2021
I kinda expect Veach to target the GB center in FA. Reiter was good in pass pro, but wasn’t even average at run blocking...going from Reiter to the GB center would vastly upgrade the OL. Plus, centers don’t make what tackles do so signing the best center in football would go a long way towards balancing the offense and letting CEH shine.
[Reply]
The Franchise 03:47 PM 02-13-2021
Originally Posted by BossChief:
They just remember the last 2 Super Bowls. The OL cost us this SB and almost cost us last years.

They aren’t taking into account the moves made to fix the OL from year before last.

Osemele
LDT
fisher
Niang
Schwartz.

Cant prepare for that volume of losses to a unit that depends on cohesiveness to thrive.
I’m not sure what Veach could have done more than what he did.

Going into this season our line was Fisher - ? - Reiter - LDT - Schwartz
He drafted Niang who probably would have had a crack at starting at LG, and he signed Remmers to be the swing tackle.

Then Niang and LDT opted out. So he signed Osemele and assumed that Wylie could fill in at RG because he’s done it before.

Then Osemele got hurt, so he plugged in Allegretti because what the fuck else was out there?

Then Schwartz went down. So Remmers started.

Then Fisher went down. There was no shuffling that was going to fix it at that point. You just hope they don’t do what they did in the biggest game of the year. Unfortunately they did.
[Reply]
wachashi 05:21 PM 02-13-2021
Reiter was the only constant on the o-line, and even he wasn't really a constant. They benched him when we played the Bills because his run-blocking effort was lacking. It was nothing short of a catastrophic season on the offensive line...AND WE STILL MADE THE SUPERBOWL. We'll be fine.
[Reply]
RunKC 07:15 PM 02-13-2021
Ah so that’s why Veach isn’t concerned about being $15 million in the red

The easiest and biggest savings is moving Pat's roster bonus to signing bonus. That is 17 mil alome

— ChiefBearcat (@Chief_Bearcat) February 13, 2021

Packers actually did this today with their LT.

The #Packers recently created about $8.3M in cap space by converting LT David Bakhtiari’s more than $11M roster bonus into a signing bonus and spreading it out over the length of the contract. He’ll make the same as before, but it gives GB some room to operate.

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) February 13, 2021

[Reply]
Pants 09:47 PM 02-13-2021
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
I’m not sure what Veach could have done more than what he did.

Going into this season our line was Fisher - ? - Reiter - LDT - Schwartz
He drafted Niang who probably would have had a crack at starting at LG, and he signed Remmers to be the swing tackle.

Then Niang and LDT opted out. So he signed Osemele and assumed that Wylie could fill in at RG because he’s done it before.

Then Osemele got hurt, so he plugged in Allegretti because what the fuck else was out there?

Then Schwartz went down. So Remmers started.

Then Fisher went down. There was no shuffling that was going to fix it at that point. You just hope they don’t do what they did in the biggest game of the year. Unfortunately they did.
Great post. Really paints a very clear picture.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 10:46 PM 02-13-2021
Listen it's been an amazing three year run.
Veach will have to work some cap magic, and there a few things he can do to clear a little, but I'll surprised if we sign big name, big money free agents.

I fully expect him to have a solid plan with contingencies at the offensive line spots in '21. He's a smart guy, he watched the same game we did.

And I fully expect to be right back in contention.
[Reply]
kcpasco 10:53 PM 02-13-2021
I want a boring fatty draft. A LB or WR in FA. A TE2 in the draft would be ok in place of a fatty.
[Reply]
RealSNR 09:18 AM 02-14-2021
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Pass rush is a huge problem though. The Bucs adjusted and essentially doubled Jones and shifted more help to Clark all bc Danna and Wharton didn’t need more than a blocker.

Clark and Jones are studs but a pass rush isn’t going to be effective without at least 3 quality rushers.

We can’t keep blitzing so often. It leaves us vulnerable against good QB’s
Vulnerable against good QBs?

Well, at least we'll still be able to piss pound the Bills and Ravens...
[Reply]
RunKC 09:33 AM 02-14-2021
If Patrick can have his roster bonus turned into a signing bonus for $17 million then we’ll be fine with the cap.

Schwartz retirement gives us $6 million.
An extension to Matheui will give at least $8 million.
Extending Fisher would give us money too.

I think we’ll make it work
[Reply]
O.city 10:51 AM 02-14-2021
You’ve gotta balance things. With Mahomes and andy you need to be pushing for a championship every year but can’t over leverage.

Pass rushers are always needed. Look at Tampa. Get a few vets that still have juice and throw them in the mix with young guys you draft.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 11:13 AM 02-14-2021

Mahomes is due that size roster bonus pretty much every year. Might be worth moving to signing bonus this year just because of their cap situation. But shouldn't make it a habit. In a few years he will be due 45-50 mil every single year. Adding a few mill to those cap charges is not ideal. I'd like to explore our other options first.
[Reply]
BossChief 11:15 AM 02-14-2021

Fisher is going into the last year of his deal. The only option to lower his cap hit is to extend him because we can’t cut him while rehabbing an injury that happened during football activities.

Restructuring deals is only possible when there are multiple years left on a players contract.
[Reply]
Hoover 11:39 AM 02-14-2021
I think the point is that we have multiple players that we could do that with. Mahomes, Jones, Kelce
[Reply]
Page 64 of 319
« First < 14546061626364 6566676874114164 > Last »
Up