ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 11 of 12
« First < 7891011 12 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Homemade Hot Sauces and Other Fermented Foods
KCUnited 08:55 AM 06-13-2021
Entering the homemade hot sauce phase of my midlife spiral into total lameness.

I'm mostly wanting to explore different flavor combos and take more control over heat/consistently than what I'm getting off the shelf or Amazon. Thinking I may expand into fermenting other fruits and vegetables as well.

Anyone else making their own hot sauces and/or fermented foods?
[Reply]
lewdog 02:15 PM 05-19-2022
Not fermenting these but thought I would post. Easy way to attempt pickles without having to do the entire canning process and boiling the jars. I will report back on this as I'm only making one large jar to see how it goes.

I sliced some and kept some whole. I have 4 habaneros in here from my garden. I used stevia instead of sugar. I did not include mustard or caraway seeds but did everything else.

Fermenting- Once my jalapenos are ready in the garden, I slice those without seeding and ferment for 5 days and then pop them in the fridge. Jalapenos from the garden are super spicy and the sour kick from the ferment is amazing on so many things. I will also ferment my serrano peppers for an extra kick!

https://food52.com/recipes/20363-habanero-dill-pickles

[Reply]
KCUnited 05:28 PM 05-29-2022
Thai chili, shallot, and local peaches.

[Reply]
lewdog 05:39 PM 06-03-2022
Peppers in the garden were ready. Mostly jalapeno which are way hotter than the store bought variety for whatever reason. Slice the pepper and DO NOT SEED so they stay hot. Ferment them for 5 days and this will last quite a while giving a spicy, tangy kick to so many things.

[Reply]
FlaChief58 05:45 PM 06-03-2022
A client of ours supplies us with all the farm fresh butt nuggets we can take. I pickled 2 doz today. Vinegar, water, sugar, salt, pickling spice, crushed pepper, onion and garlic. These never last long around here.
Attached: 31684.jpg (39.8 KB) 
[Reply]
Fish 07:32 PM 06-03-2022
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Peppers in the garden were ready. Mostly jalapeno which are way hotter than the store bought variety for whatever reason. Slice the pepper and DO NOT SEED so they stay hot. Ferment them for 5 days and this will last quite a while giving a spicy, tangy kick to so many things.

Are those red jalapenos? Or are those some other pepper? Because I absolutely love red jalapenos. They have quite a bit more heat because they're on the vine a lot longer. But they also have a better taste in my opinion. I get giddy whenever I find red ones at the store. They are perfect for salsa.

What do you do with the peppers after the fermentation? Just pull them out like pickle slices, or do you turn them into something else?

Looks great.
[Reply]
lewdog 07:35 PM 06-03-2022
Originally Posted by Fish:
Are those red jalapenos? Or are those some other pepper? Because I absolutely love red jalapenos. They have quite a bit more heat because they're on the vine a lot longer. But they also have a better taste in my opinion. I get giddy whenever I find red ones at the store. They are perfect for salsa.

What do you do with the peppers after the fermentation? Just pull them out like pickle slices, or do you turn them into something else?

Looks great.
Yes, just red jalapenos. Some have been on there quite a long time before I got to picking them! I have a few serrano peppers in this mixture too and one of those was red.

I do a mixture of things. These are will put in the fridge and treat like pickled jalapenos and just top things with them. I have fermented them before and made salsa or hot sauce too.
[Reply]
mlyonsd 08:25 PM 06-03-2022
Take a brick of cream cheese and spread it thin on a plate. Spread homemade jalapeno or habanero jelly over it. With a small spoon take that concoction and spread it on a Ritz cracker.

Addicting.
[Reply]
KCUnited 09:31 AM 06-04-2022
Got some active fermentation going which is why I always store in some type of overflow vessel.

I love the smell of fermenting shallot in the morning.

[Reply]
KCUnited 09:07 AM 06-11-2022
Finished product.

I got 4 bottles total, giving 2 to some neighbors.

[Reply]
lewdog 09:22 AM 06-11-2022
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
Finished product.

I got 4 bottles total, giving 2 to some neighbors.

I'm just amazing at the texture of that. Looks great. Perfect color too.
[Reply]
KCUnited 09:37 AM 06-11-2022
I'm just amazing at the texture of that. Looks great. Perfect color too.
Thanks homie

Now I just need to dabble in growing my own ingredients.
[Reply]
lewdog 09:48 AM 06-11-2022
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
Thanks homie

Now I just need to dabble in growing my own ingredients.
Start with Jalapeno. Super easy and if you don't kill that, graduate to others.

My habanero looked super sad by yesterday afternoon with this heat but perked up with a super long soak this morning.

I just don't know what to do with all these. Ideas?
[Reply]
scho63 09:54 AM 06-11-2022
I thought they were Scotch Bonnets at first. Do you grow those at all?

Do you have to take any special precautions to make sure your son stays away from that stuff?
[Reply]
KCUnited 10:05 AM 06-11-2022
Start with Jalapeno. Super easy and if you don't kill that, graduate to others.

My habanero looked super sad by yesterday afternoon with this heat but perked up with a super long soak this morning.

I just don't know what to do with all these. Ideas?
Maybe trying using them to infuse things.

Cooking oil, vodka for cocktails, or combine them with fruit to make a bbq glaze or sauce.
[Reply]
lewdog 01:11 PM 06-11-2022
Originally Posted by scho63:
I thought they were Scotch Bonnets at first. Do you grow those at all?

Do you have to take any special precautions to make sure your son stays away from that stuff?
I do not. I have this along with a jalapeno and serrano pepper plant in a raised bed that currently is under shade cloth.

And no, he's 4 and has fear at this age so once you tell him something will hurt him, he'll listen!
[Reply]
Page 11 of 12
« First < 7891011 12 >
Up