ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 5
< 1234 5 >
Media Center>Help Rausch switch to PC
Rausch 05:06 PM 05-26-2021
I don't have the time, knowledge, or patience to build my own.

I selected the parts and compared cyberpowerpc, CLX, maingear, AVAdirect, Digitalstorm, and VRLA.

I ended up about $350 over what I wanted to spend but...eh.

So since I've been a Mac guy my whole life and never built a PC help me out. Don't hesitate to point out anything I missed or part conflicts. Suggestions and advice appreciated.

Pic of specs in 1st post...
[Reply]
Rausch 02:41 PM 06-15-2021
Originally Posted by mdstu:
I'd imagine a watercooled 5800x will shred any task you throw at it.

You might be under estimating the power of your CPU.

It might get hot when stressed out, but you'd be surprised what it takes to stress them out.

Congrats on the awesome system. My worthless internet advice would be fire it up and throw everything you've got at it. See what happens. Then think about tweaking settings.
I got a friend from an old job coming over to look at it if/when it arrives to check for basic installation issues and anything that could be sketchy. We'll make sure the Ram's slotted right and the fans face the right way and then do some heavy lifting...
[Reply]
Rausch 06:40 PM 06-23-2021
Ok, new PC came in at 4pm today. Turned it on, everything connected correctly and running great, I just need to sign in to my microsoft account.

I don't remember my hotmail password. It's been over a decade since I changed it. I'm now sitting on customer support chat with Taiwo trying to get my password reset because the password reset screen won't load on my 8 year old version of Safari.

Nice new PC sitting in the next room, on step 2 of setting up windows, I can't log in to...
[Reply]
eDave 06:52 PM 06-23-2021
Originally Posted by Rausch:
Ok, new PC came in at 4pm today. Turned it on, everything connected correctly and running great, I just need to sign in to my microsoft account.

I don't remember my hotmail password. It's been over a decade since I changed it. I'm now sitting on customer support chat with Taiwo trying to get my password reset because the password reset screen won't load on my 8 year old version of Safari.

Nice new PC sitting in the next room, on step 2 of setting up windows, I can't log in to...
I recently had to wait a week while they processed a service ticket to change my email associated to my Microsoft account. They closed the ticket yet my email (that I no longer have) remains the same. Good luck.
[Reply]
TambaBerry 06:55 PM 06-23-2021
Wait, why do you have to sign in to start the PC up?
[Reply]
eDave 06:58 PM 06-23-2021
Originally Posted by TambaBerry:
Wait, why do you have to sign in to start the PC up?
You don't. It's bypassable.
[Reply]
Fish 07:34 PM 06-23-2021
Don't bother signing in with your Microsoft account. Click where it says "Create offline account instead."
[Reply]
Rausch 07:49 PM 06-23-2021
Originally Posted by eDave:
You don't. It's bypassable.
I'd already hooked it up with wifi. It wouldn't let me go back and skip the sign in until I killed my router and restarted.

Finally. 30 minutes later I'm on my new desktop. So far not a bunch of bloat. It's directing me to a BBB review. I think I'll drop a chiefsplanet.com in my review...
[Reply]
Rausch 08:37 PM 06-23-2021
Ok nerds I'll be bugging you tomorrow. I'll probably need bios updates and drivers and steam recommendations (Daddy can game now!)

Oh, and I need to check and make sure my ram is set to the right speed.
[Reply]
TambaBerry 09:18 PM 06-23-2021
Ok nerds I'll be bugging you tomorrow. I'll probably need bios updates and drivers and steam recommendations (Daddy can game now!)

Oh, and I need to check and make sure my ram is set to the right speed.
Steam summer sale is coming up as well
[Reply]
Rausch 05:18 PM 06-24-2021
Steam summer sale is coming up as well
Got my steam set up last night (rausch35.) I'll be honest - I didn't find much I wanted to d/load immediately. Valheim, ARK eventually, and then...eh.
[Reply]
Rausch 08:23 AM 06-26-2021
Alright, I'm going to try this again. Last night was supposed to be me farting around on steam and finding cheap games I want to try. About two hours after I get home this super fuck you thunderstorm comes through and two hours later no power. I can say the case I picked looks really good when backlit by candles.

So I'll be on steam today and if anyone has a good single player, PVE, or not FPS recommendation I'd appreciate it. Oh, and bonus points if it works well with an XBox/PS4 controller.
[Reply]
TambaBerry 08:42 AM 06-26-2021
Alright, I'm going to try this again. Last night was supposed to be me farting around on steam and finding cheap games I want to try. About two hours after I get home this super fuck you thunderstorm comes through and two hours later no power. I can say the case I picked looks really good when backlit by candles.

So I'll be on steam today and if anyone has a good single player, PVE, or not FPS recommendation I'd appreciate it. Oh, and bonus points if it works well with an XBox/PS4 controller.
Also, download epic game store and grab the free games they give away.
[Reply]
Rausch 08:45 AM 06-26-2021
Also, download epic game store and grab the free games they give away.
Are they as much of a pain in the ass as I've been hearing? No ratings, you HAVE to be connected to play, etc?
[Reply]
Otter 08:57 AM 06-26-2021

Buy yourself a UPS so you have time to shut down during a power outage. It will save much wear and tear on your system. It doesn't need to be anything extravagant just enough to give you 5-10 minutes to shut down proper.

Sounds like a good rig and you can get one for about $40.
[Reply]
Rausch 09:04 AM 06-26-2021
Originally Posted by Otter:
Buy yourself a UPS so you have time to shut down during a power outage. It will save much wear and tear on your system. It doesn't need to be anything extravagant just enough to give you 5-10 minutes to shut down proper.
Yeah, I need to talk with Clx. I could swear I got a cheap hybrid one (looked a lot like a really fat power strip) with lan, cable, and 8 plug surge protection. I think it was a 5 or 10 minute supply. It didn't ship with it though and it doesn't appear on my shipping list. I probably need to take a trip to wally world today for one of those and and xbox controller.

If I do should I get current gen or can I get last gen? Is there a big trade off? I was hoping I could use my PS4 for controller compatible games...
[Reply]
Page 4 of 5
< 1234 5 >
Up