Page 727 of 929
« First < 227627677717723724725726727 728729730731737777827 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Investing megathread extravaganza
DaFace 11:23 AM 06-27-2016
A place to talk about investing stuff.
[Reply]
Peter Gibbons 02:34 PM 07-31-2021
Originally Posted by Jimmya:
Quick question for you guys as we have 5 children. How many of you paid or helped pay for your kids college?
We did pay for both my daughters undergrad expenses and her graduate medical school as well. While we were fortunate enough to be able to pay for these expenses ourselves and not have to ask her to contribute, the equation would have likely changed if we had five kids were putting through school versus one.

That being said, we did set limits. We told my daughter we would pay for her undergrad to anywhere she wanted to go. However, if she chose a public university where costs were lower, we would also pay for grad/med school. In hindsight, giving her some skin in the game to choose wisely and do well while in school probably was our best decision.
[Reply]
lewdog 03:29 PM 07-31-2021
Originally Posted by Jimmya:
Quick question for you guys as we have 5 children. How many of you paid or helped pay for your kids college?
My grandmother paid for my undergrad. My parents paid for my graduate degree, so I wouldn't have to take a loan, but we agreed I would pay them the entire amount back. This still saved me money since it was an interest free loan but also made me want to find a good paying job right away to start paying them back.

After I paid my parent's back $30k, they nicely told me the rest of my loan (another $30k) was forgiven.
[Reply]
Bearcat 03:33 PM 07-31-2021
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
I'm still stuck on work your ass off protocol in the flow chart.

I have a cousin that has a cabin outside Colorado Springs. I can't imagine it's worth 300K.

I'm skipping the RV phase. It's just not happening. I even have a diesel pickup. There's just a culture there I'm not into.
I don't even like camping much... never did it in KC because it was either just camping or camping plus lake things, which wasn't my thing.

While I appreciate the whole 'off the grid' thing, I do it here for the ATV rides... and even then, after a couple days of 6+ hour rides, I'm good.
[Reply]
eDave 03:33 PM 07-31-2021
My parents had 4 kids. We lived poorly and didn't have much as compared to all my friends who's dad's worked at TWA.

But when college age came, they paid for every single one of us to go to college. It was all about that. Brother to Rolla. Sister to CMSU, me and other brother to NWMSU.
Spending money was on us though.
[Reply]
sondevil 04:54 PM 07-31-2021
We have a tier system with our kids. They pay 75% their freshman year, 50% sophomore, 25% junior and we cover their senior year. Any additional years are on them.

We felt like it was important for them to have skin in the game especially early on. They both have partial scholarships and this setup keeps them motivated to maintain those.
[Reply]
Jimmya 05:37 PM 07-31-2021
Thanks guys... Wife and I are lucky to have good jobs and we keep telling our kids we will pay for their undergrad as long as they stay out of trouble and pass all their classes.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 06:14 PM 07-31-2021
I put in my stone yard when my daughter was two just to fund her college education. It's worked out perfectly. She got the first two years of her college paid by the state of Texas by qualifying for quest , basically having good grades and attendance in high school.

She heads for a dorm in August at West Texas A&M for the 2nd semester of her now Junior year. The rock yard is a casual business I only have to go onsite by call. It's actually funding her college and my fishing .

The one thing I know I'm doing wrong is not pushing her to help out by getting a job but my agreement with her was that if she made good grades and applied herself I would take care of it. She's definitely lived up to her end of the bargain so I really can't complain.

She's 21 and had to have a mass removed from her breast yesterday. When they gave her the anesthesia to put her under her throat closed off and she quit breathing . It was a rough day. She didn't deserve all that.
[Reply]
eDave 06:20 PM 07-31-2021
Yikes man. In my thoughts.
[Reply]
Peter Gibbons 06:27 PM 07-31-2021
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
I put in my stone yard when my daughter was two just to fund her college education. It's worked out perfectly. She got the first two years of her college paid by the state of Texas by qualifying for quest , basically having good grades and attendance in high school.

She heads for a dorm in August at West Texas A&M for the 2nd semester of her now Junior year. The rock yard is a casual business I only have to go onsite by call. It's actually funding her college and my fishing .

The one thing I know I'm doing wrong is not pushing her to help out by getting a job but my agreement with her was that if she made good grades and applied herself I would take care of it. She's definitely lived up to her end of the bargain so I really can't complain.

She's 21 and had to have a mass removed from her breast yesterday. When they gave her the anesthesia to put her under her throat closed off and she quit breathing . It was a rough day. She didn't deserve all that.
I sure hope things are better now. Prayers sent.
[Reply]
Buehler445 06:56 PM 07-31-2021

Goddamn dude. Sorry to hear that my man. Prayers for you and your daughter.
[Reply]
loochy 06:56 PM 07-31-2021

So they got her all fixed up though, right?
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 08:00 PM 07-31-2021
Originally Posted by loochy:
So they got her all fixed up though, right?
Yeah, she's all good. Thanks everybody . The cyst they took out is expected to be benign. It's just not good when they tell you she actually quit breathing.
[Reply]
TambaBerry 05:02 AM 08-01-2021
Yeah, she's all good. Thanks everybody . The cyst they took out is expected to be benign. It's just not good when they tell you she actually quit breathing.
Glad to hear, that is really scary!
[Reply]
Alex Junior 05:26 PM 08-01-2021
Originally Posted by BWillie:
Keep ****ing doubting Tesla. Everyone is worried about them making money in the short term. It's about the end game. Amazon didn't make money for years. Build the infrastructure, position yourself for success, profit later.
Do you think crypto will be long term investment one day? Nowadays it's just a crazy roller coaster! I don't know if its just a fad or if it’s here to stay.
[Reply]
MTG#10 11:44 PM 08-01-2021
Originally Posted by Alex Junior:
Do you think crypto will be long term investment one day? Nowadays it's just a crazy roller coaster! I don't know if its just a fad or if it’s here to stay.
Bitcoin started in 2009.
[Reply]
Page 727 of 929
« First < 227627677717723724725726727 728729730731737777827 > Last »
Up