ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 453 of 3903
« First < 353403443449450451452453 4544554564574635035539531453 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
penguinz 09:26 AM 03-19-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
"Necessary steps" = police state for an indefinite duration.

No thanks. The entire world would be better to spin the wheel and take their chances with this thing while awaiting herd immunity than they would to allow these sort of draconian confiscations of basic personal liberties.
Someone does not understand how heard immunity works.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:28 AM 03-19-2020
Originally Posted by penguinz:
Expound. Enlighten me.

It's gotta become endemic and in the process enough people have to develop acquired immunity to it to eventually scale down the peaks of epidemics going forward. Just as has ALWAYS been the case with emerging pathogens.

Tell me where I'm wrong here.
[Reply]
Fish 09:36 AM 03-19-2020
Coronavirus halts auto plants in KCK, Claycomo.

Thousands of Kansas City-area auto workers won’t have to report to work as the Big Three automakers announced their facilities would shut down in the wake of the new coronavirus.

General Motors has a plant in Kansas City, Kansas, and Ford has one in Claycomo.

T.J. Berry, executive director of the Clay County Economic Development Council, said the impact of the closure “depends on how long the plants are closed down.”

Ford employs about 8,000 people in Clay County.

Berry said employees across many sectors will face challenges as the coronavirus forces restaurants and retailers to shutter.

But Ford’s employees may be in a better position to handle the economic instability.

“For a Ford worker, they’ve got a lot of safety nets underneath them because of their union,” Berry said.

Workers will likely receive supplemental pay and unemployment benefits, the Associated Press reported.

Ford, General Motors and Fiat Chrysler agreed Wednesday to close their plants, affecting about 150,000 employees.

GM said in a statement that it was suspending operations “due to market conditions, to deep clean facilities and continue to protect people.”

The decision came one day after United Auto Workers urged the companies to cease production for two weeks.
[Reply]
penguinz 09:38 AM 03-19-2020
Expound. Enlighten me.

It's gotta become endemic and in the process enough people have to develop acquired immunity to it to eventually scale down the peaks of epidemics going forward. Just as has ALWAYS been the case with emerging pathogens.

It is estimated that for heard immunity to work with COVID19 at least 50% of the population will need to be immune. Since there is not a vaccine this means that they have to be infected and recovered.

So look at the population of the US at over 350M. So you are looking at 175M at least needing to get infected. The hospitals cannot even come close to handling this even at 10% of that number.
[Reply]
SuperChief 09:40 AM 03-19-2020
This isn't about just needing to make money - this is about needing to live a life. A meaningful existence where you wake up and have a task and you do that task and you go to bed at night satisfied that you've accomplished something that day.
Well that's just, like, your opinion, man.
[Reply]
SuperChief 09:42 AM 03-19-2020
Expound. Enlighten me.

Why wouldn't we just hunker down and wait for a vaccine? Isn't that the path of least resistance? Or does your need to manufacture widgets overrule people's right to health?
[Reply]
Mecca 09:43 AM 03-19-2020
Originally Posted by SuperChief:
Why wouldn't we just hunker down and wait for a vaccine? Isn't that the path of least resistance? Or does your need to manufacture widgets overrule people's right to health?
Hey I don't care about no corona I need that new Iphone and the Xbox and Playstation better be on fucking time!

The people that will win this are gamers, they've been isolated for years.
[Reply]
O.city 09:43 AM 03-19-2020
And if that takes 18 months?
[Reply]
Dunit35 09:43 AM 03-19-2020
My wife shredded her knee last Thursday. Her doctor canceled all appointments because she’s scared of this virus. Really, you just want my wife to walk around with crutches for an extended period of time when all she needed was a doctors note for an MRI.

Luckily urgent care got her an MRI. They won’t even let people into the building and will meet you at your vehicle to check your body temp and symptoms.

Her hospital she works at closed off all entrances except one. Same hospital hired us LEO to work security for them in the ER at $30/hr because they’re scared of out of control family members.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:43 AM 03-19-2020
It is estimated that for heard immunity to work with COVID19 at least 50% of the population will need to be immune. Since there is not a vaccine this means that they have to be infected and recovered.

So look at the population of the US at over 350M. So you are looking at 175M at least needing to get infected. The hospitals cannot even come close to handling this even at 10% of that number.
So yes, then. I DO understand herd immunity.

Thanks for clearing that up.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 09:43 AM 03-19-2020
Lol
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:45 AM 03-19-2020
Because if it's a year away there's nothing to come back to.
[Reply]
Mecca 09:45 AM 03-19-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
And if that takes 18 months?
Then I hope your video game backlog is pretty big.
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 09:46 AM 03-19-2020
Here is some what positive news. Bill Gates says coronavirus shutdown could last 6-10 weeks 'if a country does a good job with testing'

https://www.foxnews.com/tech/bill-ga...ast-6-10-weeks
[Reply]
penguinz 09:46 AM 03-19-2020
So yes, then. I DO understand herd immunity.

Thanks for clearing that up.
So you understand how ignorant your comment was then. Good to hear.
[Reply]
Page 453 of 3903
« First < 353403443449450451452453 4544554564574635035539531453 > Last »
Up