Page 16 of 44
« First < 61213141516 1718192026 > Last »
Media Center>Lord of the Rings - Rings of Power
BigRedChief 05:38 PM 04-05-2018
Premieres Sept. 2nd

[Reply]
ModSocks 03:48 PM 08-30-2022
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
Jesus, you fucking outstanding citizens that have to find something to whine about in every aspect of your lives should just end it all. You have to be the most miserable person on this planet to whine about an elf being black.

It's like an incel/racist cry fest in the Media Center and it comes from the same outstanding citizens that frequent DC. Just a bunch of low life losers on the internet.
I have no problem with a black elf. Hell, Bad Santa is one of my favorite movies.

It's the Puerto Rican thing i can't get over.
[Reply]
Bump 05:02 PM 08-30-2022
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
It doesn't matter what race any of the actors are that playing these characters.

There have been countless examples of actors who did not match the source material. Short actors playing the role of someone who was supposed to be tall, brunettes playing characters who were supposed to be redheads, British actors playing Middle Eastern Biblical figures, etc.

Yet you draw the line at black people cast as elves. Wonder why..
everybody except the woke are just going to make fun of this for their obvious pandering
[Reply]
raybec 4 05:05 PM 08-30-2022
Originally Posted by Bump:
everybody except the woke are just going to make fun of this for their obvious pandering
Everybody?
[Reply]
raybec 4 05:05 PM 08-30-2022
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
I have no problem with a black elf. Hell, Bad Santa is one of my favorite movies.

It's the Puerto Rican thing i can't get over.
That and those damn Jew dragons!
[Reply]
Bump 05:12 PM 08-30-2022
Originally Posted by raybec 4:
Everybody?
"except the woke"

they will just say 'ur racist' like virus already tried to imply if you don't like rewriting one the most beloved franchises in history!
[Reply]
Sorter 09:22 PM 08-30-2022
It doesn't matter what race any of the actors are that playing these characters.

There have been countless examples of actors who did not match the source material. Short actors playing the role of someone who was supposed to be tall, brunettes playing characters who were supposed to be redheads, British actors playing Middle Eastern Biblical figures, etc.

Yet you draw the line at black people cast as elves. Wonder why..
Isn't possible that people are expecting the precedent from the novels and films (eg. elves are white with long, silver/blonde hair)? Not sure why it has to be viewed as racist as opposed to being faithful to the source material and previous films.

\
[Reply]
listopencil 06:47 AM 08-31-2022
Meh. I can understand people being annoyed because fantasy is a genre of fiction where different races actually do exist unlike the real world. It's also a genre with ancient origins so you are going to see examples of racism bleeding through the pages, in subtext if not clearly stated. I watched Danzel Washington play MacBeth in The Tragedy Of MacBeth a while ago. At no point did I give a single fuck that a black guy was playing MacBeth. He was freaking awesome in it. The guy is a bad ass actor. Probably my favorite current one. So if these dipshits put on a good show then no one will care. If it's shitty then it will be just one more thing to bitch about.
[Reply]
kcpasco 09:41 AM 08-31-2022
It will be so immersive watching Galadriel dual wield lightsabers while shouting this is Sparta.
[Reply]
ModSocks 09:53 AM 08-31-2022
I just remembered, didn't Claydolf The Incel make some posts about the Orcs being too "white" due to wokeism and Hollywood's message that whitey is bad? I'm not gonna go digging for it but im 110% positive i had that conversation with that beta.

The dwarves are too black!

The elves are too gay!

The orcs are too white!

:-) :-) :-)
[Reply]
ThaVirus 10:13 AM 08-31-2022
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
I just remembered, didn't Claydolf The Incel make some posts about the Orcs being too "white" due to wokeism and Hollywood's message that whitey is bad? I'm not gonna go digging for it but im 110% positive i had that conversation with that beta.

The dwarves are too black!

The elves are too gay!

The orcs are too white!

:-) :-) :-)
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
made the orcs as white as possible :-)

He did. He sees the boogeyman everywhere.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 10:24 AM 08-31-2022
Originally Posted by Sorter:
Isn't possible that people are expecting the precedent from the novels and films (eg. elves are white with long, silver/blonde hair)? Not sure why it has to be viewed as racist as opposed to being faithful to the source material and previous films.

\
There's nothing wrong with wanting movies and TV to stick to the source material, but it's just not going to happen every time. Elves being white is no more central to their character than being a runt is to Wolverine's character. And yet Hugh Jackman played him with no issues. Jackman is almost 1 full foot taller than Wolverine canonically. Everyone still loved his portrayal.

Adaptations are going to take some liberties.

Hell, Aragorn is described as 6'6" in the books. Viggo Mortenson is 5'11".

Clay won't even deny that he's a racist outstanding citizen, nor will BleedingRed, so they don't deserve the benefit of the doubt. Bump probably would but his feelings on this are too strong. I don't buy it.

"They should write their own fantasy stories so we don't have to see them in ours!" lol that is 100% not something a non-racist person says.
[Reply]
ModSocks 10:28 AM 08-31-2022
He did. He sees the boogeyman everywhere.
:-)

So weak and insecure.
[Reply]
ModSocks 10:33 AM 08-31-2022
There's nothing wrong with wanting movies and TV to stick to the source material, but it's just not going to happen every time. Elves being white is no more central to their character than being a runt is to Wolverine's character. And yet Hugh Jackman played him with no issues. Jackman is almost 1 full foot taller than Wolverine canonically. Everyone still loved his portrayal.

Adaptations are going to take some liberties.

Hell, Aragorn is described as 6'6" in the books. Viggo Mortenson is 5'11".

Clay won't even deny that he's a racist outstanding citizen, nor will BleedingRed, so they don't deserve the benefit of the doubt. Bump probably would but his feelings on this are too strong. I don't buy it.

"They should write their own fantasy stories so we don't have to see them in ours!" lol that is 100% not something a non-racist person says.
Clay is a cuck, but Bleedingred is just misunderstood.
[Reply]
staylor26 11:19 AM 08-31-2022
It's pretty simple.

Either the show turns out to be good/great, and the diversity push is a non-issue, or it's a disaster, which would make it obvious that the showrunners are more worried about diversity than making a great show.

I'm personally excited to watch on Friday, but I'm still cautiously optimistic in terms of expectations.
[Reply]
staylor26 11:20 AM 08-31-2022
I also want to point out that from fans, the complains go well beyond a black elf.

Making Galadriel a warrior is a perfect example of one of the other red flags.

It also doesn't help when the showrunners and Amazon themselves are using the diversity push as a huge selling point.
[Reply]
Page 16 of 44
« First < 61213141516 1718192026 > Last »
Up