ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 8
< 12345 678 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Saying "Goodbye" to my old man
duncan_idaho 10:37 AM 05-25-2023
My dad passed away this week. He was diagnosed with Stage IV cancer earlier this year, and had been going through chemo.

I think the family had been lulled a little into a false sense of security, of time, because he had been tolerating the chemo so well. The doctors had found a concoction they thought his heart and liver (the two most vulnerable organs he had) could work through.

I don't know if it was complications from the chemo, but his heart gave out earlier this week.

Now, I'm not writing this as a look-at-me or cry for sympathy. I'm doing this because when I think about my dad, I think about the Chiefs, and watching games with him. He's the reason I care so much. There's another reason, too, but I'll talk about it at the end.

I am so, so thankful my dad and I got to see the past five years of the Chiefs together. That he got to see them get back to the top of the mountain this year.

He was always a more even-keel, optimistic fan than me. He endured the succession of washed up QBs with eternal optimism and belief that they could turn it around in KC, just like Lenny did.

I used to sarcastically thank him for raising me as a Royals/Chiefs/Mizzou fan, but damn if that didn't make 2014, 2015, and 2018-now all the sweeter. Now I thank him in earnest.

I'm so thankful he got to see that run end (and return the good-natured digs to his fraternity brother from Colorado, who never stopped reminding Dad about the 1983 draft).

We'll put him to rest tomorrow. Going to be a hard day, no doubt about it. But I'm confident that when I watch the Chiefs, it's going to bring the good things out. When I talk about them on here, it's going to bring the good things out.

Now, that other thing I mentioned at the top; if you're wondering if there's anything you can do, what I'd really like is for you to commit to taking care of yourselves. Go to the doctor. And please, please, please get your colonoscopies. My dad's cancer started as colon cancer before spreading. He never had a colonoscopy, and I can't help but think if he just HAD, he'd still be here. We would have caught it early enough and stopped it.

And I wouldn't be standing in his place at my sister's wedding next spring. I wouldn't be giving the speech, I'd be helping him write it.

If you've read all of this, thanks for letting me ramble. Sometimes, getting the words out is the best thing for this.

Go to your check-ups. Get the colonoscopy.
[Reply]
booger 12:00 AM 05-26-2023
Sorry to hear this. God Bless you and your family you are all in my prayers. Shows a good example and character mentioning to us all about staying up with dr visits etc. He is very proud of you for that. Very cool honoring him about his love for the Chiefs and other local teams as well
[Reply]
LiveSteam 12:33 AM 05-26-2023
Sorry about your Pops.
I lost my Pops to diabetes, almost 20 years ago.
Sucks!!!
[Reply]
scho63 02:41 AM 05-26-2023
Very sorry for your loss and I think we have all had our fill of that evil cancer, including so many of my family.

Mods, please ban cancer from CP.
[Reply]
BWillie 05:24 AM 05-26-2023
Originally Posted by Holladay:
It was thoughtful that you posted about your dads' passing. Mine just passed a month ago and I didn't post anything. It is and was a very personal matter. I don't post that much, so I didn't see the point.

Your issue of colonoscopies' is spot on. A simple procedure to treat a time of pain. Nice touch and the responses have been a great reminder to a number of CP older dudes. I get mine every 5 years.

I have never had a closer person in my life die. It has mentally been tough. He and I played golf together often. Father, Son outing through the years. 2 weeks after he died I had a dream about us playing golf. I woke up and immediately thought "I need to call Dad to go out and play a round". Damn, I can't....

It will take time.

For me it was a mixed blessing. He died in his sleep at 86 yro. No cancer, nursing homes, hospital stays. He declined to go to the Doctor the day before. He knew. He went out on his terms.

I wish to be so lucky. None of us is going to live forever. He kinda choose how he went out. He did it right.

It doesn't make it any easier. As humans, we are selfish. I miss him and want to visit. Some day I will.
Is this any good? When I saw this start being marketed I was excited. Im sure an actual colonoscopy is better but nore things like this the better. Ive always been frustrated at the obstacles there are when a person simply wants to be tested .

https://www.cologuard.com
[Reply]
Lzen 07:21 AM 05-26-2023
Duncan, sounds like your dad was a good father and my condolences.

Good message, too.
I got my first colonoscopy late last year. All good but I agree, it is wise to see the doctor once a year and do what is recommended. They told me to start getting one at 50. And now I have to do it once every 5 years. The prep was not pleasant but if it saves me from getting colon cancer, I'd say it was well worth it.
[Reply]
Meatloaf 07:22 AM 05-26-2023
Duncan, I suspect your dad's greatest accomplishment in life was having a son like you!

Take care.
[Reply]
cmh6476 07:23 AM 05-26-2023
Sorry to hear that
[Reply]
DaFace 08:34 AM 05-26-2023
Condolences, man. I suspect that a strong majority of us here can trace our love of the Chiefs back to our dads. I've lived 8 hours away from my family for 15 years now, and texting back and forth with my dad on game days is one of the way we've managed to keep the lines of communication going. I don't think people who "don't get sports" understand that part - it's as much about the relationships we form through our fandom as it is about the game itself.

Regarding the colonoscopy, I had one two years ago at age 39 as a precaution when I was having some other weird abdominal pain. The pain turned out to be unrelated, but they did find a couple of polyps during the colonoscopy that could have eventually become a problem. Now I'm on the frequent flyer program and get to do it every couple of years just to make sure something doesn't sneak in. Is it my favorite experience? Nah. But is it as bad as you'd think? Also nah. The prep is worse than the procedure.

If you're age 40+, and especially if anyone in your family has had issues, at least ask your doc if you should consider getting it done.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 09:02 AM 05-26-2023
Sorry for your loss. Glad that you were able to share some great moments over the last decade for long suffering fans.
[Reply]
ModSocks 04:36 PM 05-26-2023
Sorry to hear about your dad, my dude. Ive been avoiding this thread because well, life is hard right now and i just didn't wanna hear any more bad news.

But here i am. I just learned today that my Grandfather passed away a year ago and my father, whom i haven't spoken with in 23 years, is undergoing surgery today for Stomach Cancer.

The irony of avoiding the cancer threads on here only to find out my dad has cancer. Fuckin' life, man.
[Reply]
Stryker 04:58 PM 05-26-2023
Man brother I am so very sorry to hear this. Prayers to you and your family.
[Reply]
Valiant 05:02 PM 05-26-2023
Went through it 7 years ago. Prayers for your family.
[Reply]
dilligaf 07:25 PM 05-26-2023
Sorry for your loss. My mom passed in Feb. Its a tough one...
[Reply]
ChiefRocka 08:37 PM 05-26-2023
This was genuine and your father was damn lucky to have you as a son as well. We're all here for such a short time. Just be good fucking people to each other, it's as simple as it gets.

You'll see him again.
[Reply]
btlook1 04:38 AM 05-27-2023
Very sorry for your loss, remember the good times!
[Reply]
Page 5 of 8
< 12345 678 >
Up