ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 8
< 12 3456 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Saying "Goodbye" to my old man
duncan_idaho 10:37 AM 05-25-2023
My dad passed away this week. He was diagnosed with Stage IV cancer earlier this year, and had been going through chemo.

I think the family had been lulled a little into a false sense of security, of time, because he had been tolerating the chemo so well. The doctors had found a concoction they thought his heart and liver (the two most vulnerable organs he had) could work through.

I don't know if it was complications from the chemo, but his heart gave out earlier this week.

Now, I'm not writing this as a look-at-me or cry for sympathy. I'm doing this because when I think about my dad, I think about the Chiefs, and watching games with him. He's the reason I care so much. There's another reason, too, but I'll talk about it at the end.

I am so, so thankful my dad and I got to see the past five years of the Chiefs together. That he got to see them get back to the top of the mountain this year.

He was always a more even-keel, optimistic fan than me. He endured the succession of washed up QBs with eternal optimism and belief that they could turn it around in KC, just like Lenny did.

I used to sarcastically thank him for raising me as a Royals/Chiefs/Mizzou fan, but damn if that didn't make 2014, 2015, and 2018-now all the sweeter. Now I thank him in earnest.

I'm so thankful he got to see that run end (and return the good-natured digs to his fraternity brother from Colorado, who never stopped reminding Dad about the 1983 draft).

We'll put him to rest tomorrow. Going to be a hard day, no doubt about it. But I'm confident that when I watch the Chiefs, it's going to bring the good things out. When I talk about them on here, it's going to bring the good things out.

Now, that other thing I mentioned at the top; if you're wondering if there's anything you can do, what I'd really like is for you to commit to taking care of yourselves. Go to the doctor. And please, please, please get your colonoscopies. My dad's cancer started as colon cancer before spreading. He never had a colonoscopy, and I can't help but think if he just HAD, he'd still be here. We would have caught it early enough and stopped it.

And I wouldn't be standing in his place at my sister's wedding next spring. I wouldn't be giving the speech, I'd be helping him write it.

If you've read all of this, thanks for letting me ramble. Sometimes, getting the words out is the best thing for this.

Go to your check-ups. Get the colonoscopy.
[Reply]
TEX 11:03 AM 05-25-2023
Sorry for your loss. I lost my dad a long time ago. It's a life changer. Try and remember the good times. All the best moving forward.
[Reply]
Rain Man 11:08 AM 05-25-2023
Condolences to you, Duncan. It's nice that you had a good relationship with your father.

I'm scheduled for a colonoscopy next month. The prep isn't much fun, but it's only once or twice a decade so it's not a big deal.
[Reply]
O.city 11:12 AM 05-25-2023
Man, that's tough. Condolences to you and yours.
[Reply]
Rausch 11:19 AM 05-25-2023
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
I am so, so thankful my dad and I got to see the past five years of the Chiefs together. That he got to see them get back to the top of the mountain this year.
You are so lucky to have had that. You realize how moments like that truly are a blessing and don't let them go unnoticed from that point.

It's funny how all your memories take on different meanings. Things become more or less important.

I'll pray for ya' man...
[Reply]
displacedinMN 11:19 AM 05-25-2023
Never know what to say. My condolences. My parents have been gone a long time.

On a lighter note-My colonoscopy proves I have a tattoo.
[Reply]
FlaChief58 11:23 AM 05-25-2023
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
Never know what to say. My condolences. My parents have been gone a long time.

On a lighter note-My colonoscopy proves I have a tattoo.
You have a tattoo on your colon and didn't know?
[Reply]
displacedinMN 11:29 AM 05-25-2023
Originally Posted by FlaChief58:
You have a tattoo on your colon and didn't know?
I knew.

But when someone asks if I have a tattoo, I say yes. Then ask if they want to see pictures.
[Reply]
Bwana 11:31 AM 05-25-2023
Sorry for your loss, he sounded like a great man.
My condolences
[Reply]
AdolfOliverBush 11:34 AM 05-25-2023
My condolences. Cancer sucks.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 11:39 AM 05-25-2023
Sorry for your loss
[Reply]
RickObie 11:46 AM 05-25-2023
Sorry for your loss brother...it's tough - I lost my Father-in-law (who was a hero of mine) a few years back to leukemia - you never forget but the sadness slowly turns to smiles when you reflect back...
[Reply]
Graystoke 11:57 AM 05-25-2023
Condolences Duncan. Sounds like he was a great man/father.
Never easy losing a parent, I wish you well.
[Reply]
ROYC75 12:07 PM 05-25-2023
Sorry for your loss. R.I.P
[Reply]
neech 12:10 PM 05-25-2023
Thanks Duncan we need a reminder, especially us guys to get checked out from time to time.

And sorry for the loss of your dad he sounded like a great guy.
[Reply]
Frazod 12:11 PM 05-25-2023
My mother-in-law was diagnosed with stage IV pancreatic cancer in January of 2017. By September she was gone. Despite knowing the odds against her long term survival, initially they had her on a treatment that really seemed to be effective, and I was frankly amazed by how well she was doing. Don't recall the specific details, but eventually her body just stopped responding to treatment, and then she started getting a build up of fluid in her lungs that they had to drain. After enduring that twice, she said no more. They stopped the treatment and put her in hospice, and she was dead a day later. It was awful, but at least she didn't suffer horribly for very long.

The really weird thing was how quickly the tumor popped up and grew. She had already survived breast cancer and had screenings regularly. The last one she had was in October of 2016, and she was cancer free. She was in her late 70s, active and the picture of health; hell, I always figured she'd outlive all of us; her mom died at the age of 97. The goddamn thing went from nothing to massive and fatal inside of three months. I guess sometimes when your number's up, it's just up.

Anyway, sorry about your dad. Be happy that you had such a good one for as long as you did.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 8
< 12 3456 > Last »
Up