Page 902 of 934
« First < 402802852892898899900901902 903904905906912 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Investing megathread extravaganza
DaFace 11:23 AM 06-27-2016
A place to talk about investing stuff.
[Reply]
Buehler445 12:31 PM 05-26-2023
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
Yeah. I really like her philosophy of investing in innovation. It seems like a great idea. Of course, those were the companies that got clobbered the most in 2022, so to some extent she or I or both got nailed by bad timing. But it seems like she's also made far bigger strategic mistakes, because I shouldn't still be down by 60 percent.

And you hear that, hog? I'm coming for you!

via GIPHY

That’s all fine and well but the reality is the failure rate of innovation is high. And that’s not story she was selling.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 12:35 PM 05-26-2023
I had no experience in investing and decided to dip my feet in the water maybe a year ago with some airline and cruise stocks thinking they'd rebound after COVID (stupid lol).

I'm no day trader and realize I know absolutely jack and shit about any of this, so I recently parked some cash into VOO. I hope to be able to just keep that money in there for the next 30 years and see some growth. I've been considering other ETFs as well.

Is that an advisable course of action in the eyes of the financial gurus of CP?
[Reply]
Rain Man 12:40 PM 05-26-2023
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
I had no experience in investing and decided to dip my feet in the water maybe a year ago with some airline and cruise stocks thinking they'd rebound after COVID (stupid lol).

I'm no day trader and realize I know absolutely jack and shit about any of this, so I recently parked some cash into VOO. I hope to be able to just keep that money in there for the next 30 years and see some growth. I've been considering other ETFs as well.

I think that's a reasonable course if you don't want the adrenalin rush and occasional horror of playing with individual stocks.

The cruise lines are all up notably this month. I hope that's a trend that will continue. If they ever get back to pre-pandemic levels, they'll double in price. I could really use that since I rode them all the way down in 2020.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 12:52 PM 05-26-2023
The cruise lines are all up notably this month. I hope that's a trend that will continue. If they ever get back to pre-pandemic levels, they'll double in price. I could really use that since I rode them all the way down in 2020.
Hah, yeah, I'm actually up on Royal Caribbean, which is encouraging, but down on all the others. At this point, I've been holding the bag so long that I will likely just continue to do so.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 12:53 PM 05-26-2023
Is anyone in on SPY, QQQ or SCHD?
[Reply]
Rain Man 01:04 PM 05-26-2023
Hah, yeah, I'm actually up on Royal Caribbean, which is encouraging, but down on all the others. At this point, I've been holding the bag so long that I will likely just continue to do so.
Yeah, I figure at this point they have nowhere to go but up.

I bought RCL back in 2014 and made such a killing on it that I never ended up down even during the shutdown. I just lost a lot of profit on paper. I bought NCLH in February of 2020, which was the worst timing possible. I'm down about 50 percent on it right now. And then CUK has been a disaster. I had a ton of it that I bought back in probably 2016 or so. It lost 30 percent or so before the shutdowns and I was hanging on to it because I was just collecting the dividends and could wait for it to go back up. But then March of 2020 hit and they all stopped the dividends and now I'm down 82 percent on it. Again, though, no place to go but up at this point so I'm keeping it.

I'm in SPY and QQQ in small amounts. I figured I'd go low-maintenance and try them out, but I like shopping for stocks so I haven't really increased them to any significant level.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 02:54 PM 05-26-2023
Yeah. I really like her philosophy of investing in innovation. It seems like a great idea. Of course, those were the companies that got clobbered the most in 2022, so to some extent she or I or both got nailed by bad timing. But it seems like she's also made far bigger strategic mistakes, because I shouldn't still be down by 60 percent.

And you hear that, hog? I'm coming for you!

via GIPHY

:-) Man, when she got going her funds were rocking and rolling with 100% returns. She became a cult leader. What I've read on more than one occasion is that she became a threat to other hedge funds and they collectively took aggressive short selling attacks on a lot of her investments. Don't know if that's factual but it makes sense. She does her homework and she's not stupid and has a large advisory team.

That being said, it seems like short selling has become just a thing in the last 4-5 years that have really destroyed the market. I just don't remember it going on at these levels 10-20 years ago.

Warren Buffett says the main reason he doesn't split BERK.A is he doesn't want short attacks.
[Reply]
Buehler445 03:24 PM 05-26-2023

I have some of all 3.

In terms of investing, the big key is doing it. If you can get an automatic withdrawal, that automatically flows into an instrument that you don’t have to manage that is the best option for most people. In my tax sheltered account I have it going into a target dated fund that automatically rebalances to get more conservative as I get older.

There are some largely agreed upon flowcharts for personal finance. Big thing is if your company matches a 401K do that. The free money aspect is too easy.

If the fees are high in the 401K I can listen to arguments for avoiding it if the fees are high. I’m a fan of Roth because I feel taxes are going up not down, even in retirement, but some of both is a good strategy. The biggest thing is get it in a retirement account. IRA has a 6000 contribution limit but you can do 6000 in a Roth and 6000 in a traditional. If you’re married your wife has the same limits. If you have a company sponsored 401K the limit is 14000. That’s where I’d plow the majority of your investment.

Big thing is emergency fund -> 401K up to the match -> CC debt -> normally you’d pay off consumer debt but if the rate is low I wouldn’t -> max out retirement.

There are a million flow charts but they are all pretty similar to this.

[Reply]
Rain Man 03:29 PM 05-26-2023
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
:-) Man, when she got going her funds were rocking and rolling with 100% returns. She became a cult leader. What I've read on more than one occasion is that she became a threat to other hedge funds and they collectively took aggressive short selling attacks on a lot of her investments. Don't know if that's factual but it makes sense. She does her homework and she's not stupid and has a large advisory team.

That being said, it seems like short selling has become just a thing in the last 4-5 years that have really destroyed the market. I just don't remember it going on at these levels 10-20 years ago.

Warren Buffett says the main reason he doesn't split BERK.A is he doesn't want short attacks.
The short selling thing is confusing to me. They're more aggressive and open now, whereas in the past they just did their business. They'll make claims that a company is misleading investors, and I don't have enough knowledge to know if it's true or not.

I have a stock in one company now (MPW) that's under aggressive attack by short sellers, and they're suing the short sellers. I'm hoping that the company is right and the short sellers are wrong since the price has declined notably with the war underway.
[Reply]
PunkinDrublic 04:38 PM 05-26-2023

VOO is the way to go in terms of holding long term. I have my 401k and Roth invested in index funds but I also buy partial shares of VOO when I have extra cash.
[Reply]
EPodolak 05:02 PM 05-26-2023

VOO or something similar is the right move for someone without experience, or a crystal ball. Indexing is a deceptively sophisticated approach to investing, the trick is to block out all of the seductive noise that can take you out of your strategy, it is a simple and boring approach after all.
[Reply]
lewdog 06:50 AM 05-27-2023

If you're young and being more aggressive look at VOO, VGT and VXF.

If you just want to manage one fund look at VTSAX. Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund is designed to provide investors with exposure to the entire U.S. equity market, including small-, mid-, and large-cap growth and value stocks.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 08:39 PM 05-28-2023
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
If the fees are high in the 401K I can listen to arguments for avoiding it if the fees are high. I’m a fan of Roth because I feel taxes are going up not down, even in retirement, but some of both is a good strategy. The biggest thing is get it in a retirement account. IRA has a 6000 contribution limit but you can do 6000 in a Roth and 6000 in a traditional. If you’re married your wife has the same limits. If you have a company sponsored 401K the limit is 14000. That’s where I’d plow the majority of your investment.

Big thing is emergency fund -> 401K up to the match -> CC debt -> normally you’d pay off consumer debt but if the rate is low I wouldn’t -> max out retirement.
Yeah, my last job matched the 401k contribution but my current doesn’t so I just rolled it into a traditional IRA. I’ve maxed out the contributions the last few years and have been considering opening up a Roth as well. I think I asked what others thought about the traditional vs Roth in this thread a few months back. Like you said, I can’t imagine taxes going down in 30 years when I’m looking to retire. Either way, as long as I’ve got contributions into some from of IRA, I think the time invested will be more important than how it’s taxed.

My biggest issue lately is that I’ve got a lot of cash in a money market that’s only getting, like, a .00003 return. There’s no reason a six figure account should only be getting me $100 per year in returns. I appreciate not having any risk but inflation is eating those savings up far more quickly than I’m comfortable with.
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:28 PM 05-28-2023
Yeah, my last job matched the 401k contribution but my current doesn’t so I just rolled it into a traditional IRA. I’ve maxed out the contributions the last few years and have been considering opening up a Roth as well. I think I asked what others thought about the traditional vs Roth in this thread a few months back. Like you said, I can’t imagine taxes going down in 30 years when I’m looking to retire. Either way, as long as I’ve got contributions into some from of IRA, I think the time invested will be more important than how it’s taxed.

My biggest issue lately is that I’ve got a lot of cash in a money market that’s only getting, like, a .00003 return. There’s no reason a six figure account should only be getting me $100 per year in returns. I appreciate not having any risk but inflation is eating those savings up far more quickly than I’m comfortable with.
I moved all my savings shit out of a bank into a taxable brokerage account and got a Vanguard Money Market fund with them. Almost 5%.
[Reply]
scho63 10:55 PM 05-28-2023
This is terrible money management unless your like 65 years old.

If you are under 40, you should find a financial advisor.

You're flushing money down the toilet.
[Reply]
Page 902 of 934
« First < 402802852892898899900901902 903904905906912 > Last »
Up