ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 7
< 12 3456 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Subway Tuna May Be Mystery Meat
gblowfish 09:11 AM 06-22-2021
What is that smell???
https://www.eatthis.com/news-subway-...investigation/

There's been an interesting, ongoing discussion about the authenticity of Subway's tuna since two Subway customers filed a lawsuit against America's biggest fast-food chain last January. They argued that Subway "falsely advertised" its tuna as real tuna, while alleging that the ingredient Subway serves is "anything but tuna." Now, the New York Times has completed an investigation of multiple samples of Subway's tuna. The verdict? A fish-testing lab says it's hard to say.

On Saturday, Julia Carmel, the reporter who conducted the investigation just published in the New York Times, said on Twitter: "In January, @Choire thought it would be funny to test a Subway tuna sandwich." She refers to fellow writer and former New York Times Style section editor Choire Sicha, as the two seemed to have hit on a worthy question by fishing around about Subway's tuna—as Carmel tweeted: "Nearly 6 months later, I can finally show the world this 2,500-word deep dive into the world of Big Tuna."

It was a "deep-dive" indeed, as the journalist described her method of procuring samples of Subway tuna sandwiches from three Los Angeles-area Subway restaurants. "It seemed logical to order only tuna on the sandwiches—no extra vegetables, cheese or dressing—as the lab was already wary about the challenges of identifying a fish that's been cooked at least once, mixed with mayo, frozen and shipped across the country." Then, Carmel reported, "I was told that if I packed a Ziploc of Subway tuna into a Styrofoam shipping cooler with a few ice packs and mailed it across the country, the lab could test it."

Carmel reports that in a month's time, the lab (which requested not to be named in the New York Times report) relayed their findings, as quoted in this New York Times article excerpt:

"No amplifiable tuna DNA was present in the sample and so we obtained no amplification products from the DNA," the email read. "Therefore, we cannot identify the species."

The spokesman from the lab offered a bit of analysis. "There's two conclusions," he said. "One, it's so heavily processed that whatever we could pull out, we couldn't make an identification. Or we got some and there's just nothing there that's tuna." Subway declined to comment on the lab results.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 11:01 AM 06-22-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
A few years ago, a team did genetic research on fast food "chicken" from several restaurants.

McDonald's, BK, and several others were using chicken that was 95% or more real chicken.

Subway was using "chicken" that was 50% soy, IIRC.
That's surprising cuz McDonalds chicken feels different
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:02 AM 06-22-2021
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
That's surprising cuz McDonalds chicken feels different
Chicken McNuggets are ground and pressed so that gives them a kind of rubbery texture.
[Reply]
Mennonite 11:04 AM 06-22-2021
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
It's Subway. Do people really expect it to be actual identifiable food? If you want food, go someplace else.

Exactly. People are cool with going to a restaurant that named themselves after a mode of transportation that is famous for smelling like C.H.U.D. vomit and hobo urine and whose spokesman is a convicted pedophile but they'll be damned if they are going to give them $7.99 for a hoagie that doesn't contain 100% USDA certified organic free range dolphin safe tuna.

The shit is cheaper than Meow Mix, folks, so just relax, enjoy your sandwich, and pretend those green bits are diced celery and not recycled chunks of Ninja Turtle action figures that some Japanese fisherman dragged onto his boat while pulling "tuna" out of the Great Pacific Garbage Patch.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:05 AM 06-22-2021
Originally Posted by loochy:
This article seems odd to me. In the past, I've seen the tuna....it's in extra large "chicken of the sea" cans and they mix it there. Maybe they've changed their methods?

Also, it tastes, looks, and feels like cheap tuna. Why wouldn't it be cheap tuna? It's not like cheap tuna is hard to ship or keep from spoiling, and neither is cheap mayo. 1 can of tuna, N cups of mayo, mix with a fork - there's a day's worth of tuna. There's very little to be improved with that recipe (from a time/process/simplicity/cost perspective).

Some people just like to throw shit around.
I'm sure they can buy some farm-raised imitation tuna for a fraction of the cost of actual tuna.
[Reply]
BlackOp 11:11 AM 06-22-2021
Originally Posted by loochy:
This article seems odd to me. In the past, I've seen the tuna....it's in extra large "chicken of the sea" cans and they mix it there. Maybe they've changed their methods?

Also, it tastes, looks, and feels like cheap tuna. Why wouldn't it be cheap tuna? It's not like cheap tuna is hard to ship or keep from spoiling, and neither is cheap mayo. 1 can of tuna, N cups of mayo, mix with a fork - there's a day's worth of tuna. There's very little to be improved with that recipe (from a time/process/simplicity/cost perspective).

Some people just like to throw shit around.
Yeah...one would think that using cheap tuna/mayo would be the simple way to go.

So why have tuna sandwiches that a lab cant find any discernible tuna DNA in?

Maybe the manufacturer has a deal in place with Subway...where they package it in normal branding containers...and it comes from specific plants. :-)

Who knows..but you would think finding traces of actual tuna in a ****ing tuna sandwich would be pretty easy...it would take some deliberate planning to create fake tuna. The real stuff is already cheap...
[Reply]
Donger 11:13 AM 06-22-2021
I Hate Big Tuna.
[Reply]
FAX 11:17 AM 06-22-2021
Suddenly, I'm getting a real Soylent Green vibe from Subway.

FAX
[Reply]
BlackOp 11:25 AM 06-22-2021
Originally Posted by FAX:
Suddenly, I'm getting a real Soylent Green vibe from Subway.

FAX
I thought the same thing...just watched that movie last week.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 11:26 AM 06-22-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Chicken McNuggets are ground and pressed so that gives them a kind of rubbery texture.
I'm referring to their chicken breast it also feels rubbery
[Reply]
Titty Meat 11:27 AM 06-22-2021
Originally Posted by Donger:
I Hate Big Tuna.
What seafood do you prefer?
[Reply]
Mennonite 11:28 AM 06-22-2021
Originally Posted by BlackOp:
I thought the same thing...just watched that movie last week.
Edward G. Robinson was a fantastic actor. I think I read somewhere that he was completely deaf when he made that picture.
[Reply]
Mennonite 06-22-2021, 11:29 AM
This message has been deleted by Mennonite.
Donger 11:30 AM 06-22-2021
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
What seafood do you prefer?
Lobster rolls.
[Reply]
Rainbarrel 11:31 AM 06-22-2021
Cole Beasley won't eat it. He will just shoot up some more painkillers.
[Reply]
KCUnited 11:32 AM 06-22-2021
Originally Posted by Donger:
Lobster rolls.
Hot with melted butter or cold with mayo?
[Reply]
BlackOp 11:33 AM 06-22-2021
Originally Posted by Mennonite:
Exactly. People are cool with going to a restaurant that named themselves after a mode of transportation that is famous for smelling like C.H.U.D. vomit and hobo urine and whose spokesman is a convicted pedophile but they'll be damned if they are going to give them $7.99 for a hoagie that doesn't contain 100% USDA certified organic free range dolphin safe tuna.

The shit is cheaper than Meow Mix, folks, so just relax, enjoy your sandwich, and pretend those green bits are diced celery and not recycled chunks of Ninja Turtle action figures that some Japanese fisherman dragged onto his boat while pulling "tuna" out of the Great Pacific Garbage Patch.
Reminded me of this Onion video...still awesome.

[Reply]
Page 2 of 7
< 12 3456 > Last »
Up