ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 4
1 234 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Rust on pre-owned vehicle
Jenson71 07:33 PM 06-21-2021
I understand very little about vehicles or other things with a motor. I found a good pre-owned vehicle from 2013 for the right price and it checks every necessary box. However, an acquaintance of mine holds the opinion that I should pass on the vehicle because of some rust on the inside lower frame of the driver's door. It's unnoticeable from the outside. But the acquaintance says that in a year from now, the rust will spread and the vehicle will look like trash.

The rust is not a tiny spot on the frame, but rather kind of spread out on that door.

I don't care about the rust as it is, so if I can do some work to maintain it rather than fix it, I'm good with that.

Should this be a deal-breaker?
[Reply]
MIAdragon 07:37 PM 06-21-2021
Yes, it’s like an iceberg you can only see 10%.
[Reply]
hometeam 07:50 PM 06-21-2021
If I am appraising a vehicle, and there is any visible rust whatsoever, it is instantly a wholesale vehicle, no matter how nice. Can not retail it. Huge value deduction.

Rust can only be truly fixed by cutting the vehicle apart and welding new sheet metal in, and even then you better hope they did a good job because if a speck is left behind it will soon be a spot, then a bubble, then full blown cancer.

Shit I just bought a new truck and ended up with an aluminum truck partly because so many even pretty new trucks had rust.

For me both in my business, and in my personal life, rust is an absolute deal breaker for any vehicle.
[Reply]
lewdog 08:02 PM 06-21-2021
See Burt for a used car.
[Reply]
notorious 08:04 PM 06-21-2021
8 year old vehicle with rust?

Hell no. That car has seen some shit.
[Reply]
vailpass 08:06 PM 06-21-2021
Think of it as a little bit of cancer.
[Reply]
Jewish Rabbi 08:18 PM 06-21-2021
Think of it this way - Would you rather have vaginal sex with Jennifer Lawrence or get a blow job from Billay?
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 08:27 PM 06-21-2021
Rust is just like cancer. You do not want a vehicle that has rust as it will spread fast and destroy everything in its path.
[Reply]
Jenson71 08:34 PM 06-21-2021
Well shucks - I was hoping the acquaintance was being a bit dramatic. Sounds like I better keep looking.
[Reply]
Buehler445 08:53 PM 06-21-2021
Oh fuck. You live in Iowa?

Run.

BTW. Good to see you around Jenson.
[Reply]
oldman 10:51 PM 06-21-2021
I'd echo what Hometeam said. That little bit of rust may be the only visible sign of something amiss, but not the whole story. True enough it could be just a small ding that got salt into it, but it could also indicate the car has been in water. You don't want any part of that.
[Reply]
neech 04:13 AM 06-22-2021
Originally Posted by Jenson71:
Well shucks - I was hoping the acquaintance was being a bit dramatic. Sounds like I better keep looking.
My man Jenson is back. Nice to hear from you bud.
[Reply]
Lzen 05:31 AM 06-22-2021
Is it a Chevy?

It's a Chevy isn't it?
[Reply]
Bwana 06:40 AM 06-22-2021
Yeah, take a hard pass and keep hunting.
[Reply]
burt 08:35 AM 06-22-2021
We had a 5 year old truck on the lot, that was perfect and beautiful. Guy stopped to look at it, then he got on his back and inspected the under carriage. I thought he was a bit over zealous. WRONG!! It looked like someone put a new truck on the chassis of a 30 year old junk yard truck!! I was shocked that it made it's way to my lot. Guy gave it a hard pass, and I didn't blame him in the least. I refused to sell that truck.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 4
1 234 >
Up