Page 3 of 8
< 123 4567 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Bieniemy interviewing with the Lions
chop 11:13 AM 01-04-2021
https://www.freep.com/story/sports/n...eh/4126140001/

Detroit Lions' upcoming GM, head coach interview schedule revealed
Dave Birkett
Detroit Free Press

The Detroit Lions have a full plate of interviews scheduled for this week, including with the top offensive and defensive assistant coaches on the market.

Kansas City Chiefs offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy is interviewing for the Lions head coaching job Monday, Sports Illustrated reported, the first of at least nine coach and GM candidates the team will sit down with over the next seven or so days.

Bieniemy, a former NFL running back, is in his third season as Chiefs offensive coordinator. He does not call plays in Kansas City, but has helped oversee the rise of the NFL's best offense and the development of MVP quarterback Patrick Mahomes.

[ Call me crazy but Lions have several reasons for hope in uncertain future ]

Two Lions who played in Kansas City said last week they see Bieniemy excelling as a head coach.

San Francisco 49ers defensive coordinator Robert Saleh (left) and Kansas City Chiefs offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy each has Super Bowl experience and is a candidate for the Detroit Lions head coaching job.
"He’s one of the realest dudes, straight-forward dudes you’re ever going to meet,” linebacker Reggie Ragland said. “So he’s a hell of a coach. I can’t say nothing bad about him and I won’t because he’s a great dude and an excellent coach and an excellent person at the end of the day, too. He loved his players, so I respect him a lot.”

San Francisco 49ers defensive coordinator and Dearborn native Robert Saleh will interview with the Lions on Thursday, a person familiar with his schedule told the Free Press.

Saleh, like Bieniemy, is considered a likely candidate to land a head coaching job this offseason. He was considered runner-up for the Cleveland Browns job last year, when he helped the 49ers reach the Super Bowl. This year, the 49ers finished in the top 10 in rushing, passing and total defense despite significant injury problems.

The Atlanta Falcons also are expected to interview both Bieniemy and Saleh, and the New York Jets reportedly requested an interview with Bieniemy.

Along with the Lions, Falcons and Jets, the Houston Texans, Jacksonville Jaguars and Los Angeles Chargers also have openings at head coach, and the Lions, Falcons, Texans, Jaguars, Carolina Panthers and Washington are looking for GMs.

San Francisco 49ers defensive coordinator Robert Saleh on Sept. 13, 2020, talks to players on the sideline in Santa Clara, Calif.
"I will be very surprised if we don’t lose (Saleh)," 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan told reporters Sunday. "I don’t know what’s wrong with people if they don’t hire him. He’s as good as you can get, knows more about football, all three phases, and he’s going to hire the best staff, he knows about players, he knows what they’re talking about, who doesn’t know what they’re talking about. He also knows how to deal with people. I hope everyone’s not very smart and doesn’t hire him so I can keep him, but I’m expecting not to have him."

Interim Lions coach Darrell Bevell also is expected to interview for the full-time job this week, with Sports Illustrated reporting that he will officially interview Tuesday.

The Lions went 1-4 under Bevell after Matt Patricia was fired in late November, but Bevell impressed people in the organization with his leadership ability.

"I was extremely proud of the way he stepped into that situation," Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford said. "It’s a tough one. It’s a tough year to be a coach in the NFL with all the extra COVID stuff going on, all the regulations and all that. I thought he did an outstanding job. He’s a heck of a person, and I think everybody got to realize that. I’m sure you guys did, getting your chances to talk to him a little bit more. He’s a great person and a great coach and I was just really happy that he got the opportunity and I think everybody in our locker room really rallied around him, which was awesome and obviously want to win more football games than we did, but I thought he stepped in and did a great job."

Go beyond the scoreboard.
Get access to player features, pre, during and post-game coverage and more with a subscription.
Learn more
Along with Bieniemy, Saleh and Bevell, the Lions will interview Tennessee Titans offensive coordinator Arthur Smith and New Orleans Saints assistant head coach Dan Campbell next week.

More:-)etroit Lions will get up-close look at Titans OC Arthur Smith, a hot head coach candidate

More:-)etroit Lions coaching search stock watch: Why ex-Lions TE Dan Campbell could be in mix

Both the Titans and Saints have playoff games this weekend, while the 49ers have been eliminated and the Chiefs are on bye.

Previously, the Lions talked to ex-Cincinnati Bengals coach Marvin Lewis about their head coaching position.

On the GM side, the Lions have interviewed seven candidates already: in-house candidates Kyle O'Brien, Lance Newmark and Rob Lohman, ESPN analyst Louis Riddick, and ex-NFL GMs Thomas Dimitroff, Rick Smith and Scott Pioli.

This week, they plan to interview Saints assistant general managers Terry Fontenot and Jeff Ireland, director of college scouting Brad Holmes and Minnesota Vikings assistant GM George Paton, who works with new Lions executive Chris Spielman's brother, Vikings GM Rick Spielman.

Here is the Lions' full interview schedule, according to Sports Illustrated:

Monday: Bieniemy

Tuesday: Bevell, Fontenot

Wednesday: Holmes, Paton

Thursday: Saleh

Friday: Ireland

Next week: Smith, Campbell

Contact Dave Birkett at dbirkett@freepress.com. Follow him on Twitter @davebirkett.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 01:49 PM 01-04-2021
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Some of you guys need to do more research on Deland McCullough
Yup one of the best assistants in college football when we got him
[Reply]
BigRedChief 01:49 PM 01-04-2021
From Farzin on Facebook

List of Chiefs currently being interviewed or have drawn interest, per reports:

Brandt Tilis, director of football administration
Ryan Poles, director of player personnel
Mike Borgonzi, director of football operations
Tim Terry, director of pro personnel
Eric Bieniemy, offensive coordinator
Mike Kafka, quarterbacks coach
[Reply]
BigRedChief 01:50 PM 01-04-2021
Originally Posted by Jerok:
Also, if we lose EB we get an extra third in each of the next two years drafts right? This might be the first time the legendary Reids coaching tree will help Reids current team after they leave.
And we will keep Kafka. :-)
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 01:52 PM 01-04-2021
Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE!:
If EB leaves and Kafka possibly leaves would everyone be okay with Alex Smith on our staff as a QB coach if he retires which is a high possibility
High possibility? I doubt Smith ever gets into coaching. He’s made too much money in his career. Maybe TV.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 01:53 PM 01-04-2021
Originally Posted by wazu:
Sounds like he's also interviewing with Falcons today. Would love it if he got either of these NFC jobs with solid QBs.

The Falcons announce that they completed a virtual interview with Kansas City Chiefs’ offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy.

— Alison Mastrangelo (@AlisonWSB) January 4, 2021

[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 01:56 PM 01-04-2021
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
And we will keep Kafka. :-)
Yup, why would Kafka leave unless bieniemy stays. Which I don't think he will. I mean, he either becomes HC for a low tier job he's probably not ready for. Or he goes to Reid 101 and immediately becomes a top HC candidate. Almost guaranteed. I actually think of all of Andy's coaches since coming to kc Kafka will be the most sought after...eventially.

By the way, their loss is our gain... If Brandon Daly isn't on anyone's list for DC, that's criminal. Fear we may lose both Daly and house this offseason
[Reply]
Coochie liquor 02:24 PM 01-04-2021
If EB leaves and Kafka possibly leaves would everyone be okay with Alex Smith on our staff as a QB coach if he retires which is a high possibility
Nah, I’m good.
[Reply]
tredadda 02:25 PM 01-04-2021
Should be interesting considering there is a lot of pressure in that area for the Lions to hire Saleh.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 02:31 PM 01-04-2021
Originally Posted by tredadda:
Should be interesting considering there is a lot of pressure in that area for the Lions to hire Saleh.
I just think that Seattle scheme is past it's prime.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 02:45 PM 01-04-2021
Saleh really wasn't all that good until some incredibly heavy investment into the front 7. Every piece on their D Line was a high 1st rounder IIRC, and Thomas was a massive bust under him. Lions don't really have the draft capitol or cap space to do much of anything there without completely hamstringing the rest of their roster.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:47 PM 01-04-2021
:-)

Alex Smith has earned more than $189 MILLION dollars in his NFL career.

The guy can do basically anything in life post-NFL and there's no freaking way he's working 80 hours a week for $300k as a QB coach.

Good grief. You have the common sense of a gnat.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 02:54 PM 01-04-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:

The guy can do basically anything in life post-NFL and there's no freaking way he's working 80 hours a week for $300k as a QB coach.

Yeah hes a bright guy and has an economic degree. He should get into Hodge funds or the lobbyist business
[Reply]
baitism 03:58 PM 01-04-2021
I'm so tired of the distraction every postseason. I hope someone hires him.
[Reply]
Easy 6 04:02 PM 01-04-2021
Thats a shitty gig, I'd let Saleh take that one
[Reply]
Megatron96 04:06 PM 01-04-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:

Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
Yeah hes a bright guy and has an economic degree. He should get into Hodge funds or the lobbyist business
Part of the point of having that kind of money is being able to do whatever you want though. If Alex really wanted to coach, I have idea why he shouldn't. I think he might be a very good coach, in the right setting.

But yeah, he doesn't need to work another day in his life. But he's pretty young, so I doubt he'd just call it a life if he couldn't be a starting QB anymore. And at least coaching would keep him in the game, so to speak.

i know if it were me, I'd seriously consider coaching after playing football, if I were Alex.

Of course, I'd also seriously consider putting some good miles on that super hot trophy wife of his as well.

Decisions, decisions . . .
[Reply]
Page 3 of 8
< 123 4567 > Last »
Up