ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 298 of 361
« First < 198248288294295296297298 299300301302308348 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Space Exploration megathread
DaFace 09:40 AM 06-01-2014
Since a number of cool things are happening in space exploration these days, we'll widen the scope of this thread a smidge. Conversation about all things space exploration are welcome, whether it be from NASA, SpaceX, ULA, Blue Origin, or anyone else. Chances are most of the discussion will still be about SpaceX since they love to make things public and fun, but nothing's off limits. I'll eventually get around to modifying the OP to include resources for other companies too, but in the meantime, feel free to post any cool stuff you run across.

Lists of Upcoming Missions

Spoiler!

How to Watch a Live Launch
Spoiler!

Where to Learn More
Spoiler!

Glossary
Spoiler!

[Reply]
Donger 01:52 PM 08-03-2021
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Yeah, that's part of what I was getting at earlier. It seems HIGHLY unlikely to me that SpaceX actually thinks they'll be launching this thing in the next couple of weeks. In fact, if the FAA comes back and says that they've got some environmental violations, it could be months before it's all worked out.

However, the optics of the most innovative space company in the world, with contracts for both NASA and the DOD that are relying on this thing, having to sit there with this monstrosity of a rocket on the pad "ready to go" as soon as the FAA approves it...

Yeah, you have to imagine the FAA is going to try and speed things up a bit.
Agreed, and ballsy as all get out. Love it.

"You can't build an almost 500 foot launch tower without approval!!"

"Well, we already did..."

:-)
[Reply]
DaFace 01:56 PM 08-03-2021
Originally Posted by Donger:
Agreed, and ballsy as all get out. Love it.

"You can't build an almost 500 foot launch tower without approval!!"

"Well, we already did..."

:-)
Yeah, pretty much. I 100% understand why people hate Elon, but there's no question that he's willing to be abrasive in order to get shit done.

Hell, it wouldn't surprise me if the raptors on the bottom of the thing right now aren't even fully connected. They just want it to look like the FAA is dragging them down.
[Reply]
unlurking 02:39 PM 08-03-2021
Yeah, pretty much. I 100% understand why people hate Elon, but there's no question that he's willing to be abrasive in order to get shit done.

Hell, it wouldn't surprise me if the raptors on the bottom of the thing right now aren't even fully connected. They just want it to look like the FAA is dragging them down.
Yeah, he mentioned needing to do a fit check between the booster and the orbital launch table a few days ago. I imagine once that clears they'll start running cryo checks and sequential static fires. I have no doubt they'll be ready to launch long before FAA approval.
[Reply]
unlurking 03:24 PM 08-03-2021
Moves at a pretty good clip...

[Reply]
unlurking 03:27 PM 08-03-2021
I figured SN20 and her tiles would for sure be the hold up, but they are moving quickly on that too...

[Reply]
DaFace 04:00 PM 08-03-2021
The first part of Tim's interview with Elon is up. These are gonna be LONG, but I'm excited to watch.

[Reply]
kstater 06:43 PM 08-03-2021
The first part of Tim's interview with Elon is up. These are gonna be LONG, but I'm excited to watch.

That’s pretty cool. Can you post the other two when they come out? I won’t ever remember to look them up but will watch if posted here

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
[Reply]
DaFace 06:52 PM 08-03-2021
In progress on the video, and it's definitely super dense, but it's fascinating to hear him tell about design decisions.

"Every design is wrong. It's just a matter of how wrong."

Regarding the grid fins not folding, he gave a really in depth description of his engineering philosophy. To oversimplify:
  1. Make your requirements less dumb.
  2. Try very hard to delete the part or process.
  3. Simplify and optimize.
  4. Accelerate cycle time.
  5. Automate.

Pretty interesting to hear him talk about it.
[Reply]
Donger 09:19 AM 08-04-2021
In progress on the video, and it's definitely super dense, but it's fascinating to hear him tell about design decisions.

"Every design is wrong. It's just a matter of how wrong."

Regarding the grid fins not folding, he gave a really in depth description of his engineering philosophy. To oversimplify:
  1. Make your requirements less dumb.
  2. Try very hard to delete the part or process.
  3. Simplify and optimize.
  4. Accelerate cycle time.
  5. Automate.

Pretty interesting to hear him talk about it.
The grid fins aren't going to be folded in like with Falcon 9? What's the time he discusses?
[Reply]
Donger 10:18 AM 08-04-2021

All 6 engines mounted to first orbital Starship pic.twitter.com/l5QnQRSg3D

— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) August 4, 2021

[Reply]
DaFace 10:33 AM 08-04-2021
The grid fins aren't going to be folded in like with Falcon 9? What's the time he discusses?
It starts around 13:15, but it's a long, drawn out explanation. The gist is that the loss in drag isn't worth the weight of all of the stuff that would be required to fold them up and down.
[Reply]
Donger 10:54 AM 08-04-2021
It starts around 13:15, but it's a long, drawn out explanation. The gist is that the loss in drag isn't worth the weight of all of the stuff that would be required to fold them up and own.
Interesting. I wonder if that will hold.
[Reply]
unlurking 11:09 AM 08-04-2021
Starliner delayed again. :-)

https://arstechnica.com/science/2021...ate-uncertain/
[Reply]
DaFace 11:22 AM 08-04-2021
Interesting. I wonder if that will hold.
Yeah, time will tell. This discussion was started by #2 in his engineering process. Try to delete the part, since no part is better than any part that can fail. I believe he said something to the effect of, "if you're not having to add 10% of the things you remove back in, you're not removing enough."

So definitely they could come back at some point, but for now, they're trying to do without.
[Reply]
DaFace 11:23 AM 08-04-2021
Originally Posted by unlurking:
Starliner delayed again. :-)

https://arstechnica.com/science/2021...ate-uncertain/
Well, that doesn't sound promising. But again, they CANNOT fuck this up. If anything were to go wrong with this launch, it would be almost impossible to recover.

So take your time, and get it right.
[Reply]
Page 298 of 361
« First < 198248288294295296297298 299300301302308348 > Last »
Up