ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 51 of 62
« First < 414748495051 5253545561 > Last »
Media Center>Science Fiction and Fantasy Books Only Thread
Buck 07:05 PM 03-20-2012
There is a great thread in the lounge about Books in general, but to be honest, all I really want to read is Sci-Fi (including post-apocalyptic), and Fantasy.

In this OP I will compile every poster's top 3 Fantasy/SciFi suggestions if they give me them. I will try to keep the posters in alphabetical order in case you want to find someone's suggestions easier.

CP POSTER SUGGESTIONS

Baby Lee
1. Fritz Lieber's Swords Against series.
2. George R.R. Martin's SoIaF series [no brainer that will probably make tons of other lists]
3. Umberto Eco, Foucalt's Pendulum [a little more obscure/forgotten to make up for GRRM]

Frosty
1.Raymond Feist - Riftwar Saga
2.Terry Brooks - Shannara series (starting with the Knight of the Word books)
3.Tad Williams - Memory, Sorrow and Thorn

Huffmeister
(1) Dune - Frank Herbert
(2) The Stand - Stephen King (1000+ page unabridged)
(3) Starship Troopers - Robert A. Heinlein (checkout the song by Yes, too. lots of great bass)

Jawshco
1. "Book of the Long Sun" by Gene Wolfe
2. "Paradise War" by Stephen R Lawhead
3. "The Dragonbone Chair" by Tad Williams

listopencil
1. Edgar Rice Burroughs, any series
2. Robert Heinlein, everything he has written in chronological order (but read Starship Troopers first)
3. Doc Smith's Lensman series

vailpass
1. The Science Fiction Hall of Fame Volume 1, 2A & 2B books are a gold mine for sampling the evolution of sci-fi. (below)
2.The Nebula Awards and Hugo Awards (selected yearly, pick a year)
3. Years Best SF Annual publication, pick any volume from 1 to the current volume 17
See Post 142
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 02:03 PM 03-05-2020
Have we talked about The Gentlemen Bastards in here?

I’m reading through that trilogy now. Quite a lot of fun.
[Reply]
vailpass 02:03 PM 03-05-2020
Originally Posted by Frosty:
If you like classic fantasy, I highly recommend Alec Hutson's The Reveling series, which starts with "The Crimson Queen". It's more old school fantasy with a few twists and an interesting magic system.

Another series that I've really enjoyed is M. D. Presley's Sol's Harvest series. It has a very unique magic system and the MC is a bit of an antihero but it is a very engrossing read. Unfortunately, I'm still waiting on the last book to come out but it sounds like it should be sometime this year.
I looked up Crimson Queen on Amazon and it’s free to read on a Kindle device. I downloaded it to read at some point. Don’t know how long you have to read it before it goes away but if it’s free give me three. Thanks for the recommendation.
[Reply]
vailpass 02:04 PM 03-05-2020
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Have we talked about The Gentlemen Bastards in here?

I’m reading through that trilogy now. Quite a lot of fun.
??
[Reply]
Frosty 02:14 PM 03-05-2020
Originally Posted by vailpass:
I looked up Crimson Queen on Amazon and it’s free to read on a Kindle device. I downloaded it to read at some point. Don’t know how long you have to read it before it goes away but if it’s free give me three. Thanks for the recommendation.
I got the first book free and then the next two were like $4.99 each so it wasn't a big expense to read. I think all three books are free on Kindle Unlimited but I don't have that.

Both series I mentioned were self-published, which keeps the price down. They don't read like typical self-published books, though; they are very well written and edited.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 05:21 PM 03-05-2020
??

Scott Lynch. 3-book cycle from early 2000s.

The Lies of Locke Lamora, etc.
[Reply]
vailpass 05:24 PM 03-05-2020
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Scott Lynch. 3-book cycle from early 2000s.

The Lies of Locke Lamora, etc.
Thanks. What’s your review?
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 07:22 PM 03-05-2020
Thanks. What’s your review?

Just started the third one. They’re fun reads - Oceans 11ish in a fantasy setting. I’m really enjoying it.
[Reply]
keg in kc 12:21 PM 03-24-2020
Huge surprise here....

So, for those who couldn't make it through the bad acting, that's an announcement that not only is Peace Talks, book 16 of the Dresden Files, coming out in July, but book 17, Battle Ground, is coming coming out in September.

I don't think I've ever seen that happen before...
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 12:56 PM 03-24-2020
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
Huge surprise here....

So, for those who couldn't make it through the bad acting, that's an announcement that not only is Peace Talks, book 16 of the Dresden Files, coming out in July, but book 17, Battle Ground, is coming coming out in September.

I don't think I've ever seen that happen before...
Whoa! WTF. That also puts him back on pace.

And tells me Jim must have run into a "Feast for Crows" style conundrum... and resolved it by just releasing the volume that became two in one go.
[Reply]
keg in kc 02:19 PM 03-24-2020
It's good for you that you just picked up Lynch's books now. The Thorn of Emberlain is taking ****ing forever to come out. Worse than Butcher's delay between 15-16. Worse than GRRM.
[Reply]
vailpass 05:02 PM 03-28-2020
I ordered A Canticle for Leibovitz today, classic by Walter Miller from 1959 that I’ve never read. Ordered hard copy instead of paper white, time for some old school reading.

Hey Shifty,
Have you read Wolfe’s Island of Doctor Death? That is a unique read.
[Reply]
ShiftyEyedWaterboy 10:27 PM 03-28-2020
I ordered A Canticle for Leibovitz today, classic by Walter Miller from 1959 that I’ve never read. Ordered hard copy instead of paper white, time for some old school reading.

Hey Shifty,
Have you read Wolfe’s Island of Doctor Death? That is a unique read.
I haven't delved too deeply into his short stories but I've heard great things about them. I think I've read Tracking Song and Alien Stone so far. I need to hit some of the rest of them. Tracking Song was really good. Can't remember what collection it was from, though.

Have you read Borges? He was a big influence on Wolfe and has some great stuff.
[Reply]
vailpass 02:48 PM 03-29-2020
Originally Posted by ShiftyEyedWaterboy:
I haven't delved too deeply into his short stories but I've heard great things about them. I think I've read Tracking Song and Alien Stone so far. I need to hit some of the rest of them. Tracking Song was really good. Can't remember what collection it was from, though.

Have you read Borges? He was a big influence on Wolfe and has some great stuff.
Some of the stories in Dr. Death are kind of out there, even for Wolfe.

Have not read Jorge Borges. Just looked him up. Some say you need to be able to read the Spanish version of some of his works to get full impact (I can’t) but I’m not dissuaded. Guessing that’s more true for his sonnets than his fiction. Ordered Labyrinths for my queue. Thanks for the recommendation.
[Reply]
ShiftyEyedWaterboy 01:40 AM 03-30-2020
Some of the stories in Dr. Death are kind of out there, even for Wolfe.

Have not read Jorge Borges. Just looked him up. Some say you need to be able to read the Spanish version of some of his works to get full impact (I can’t) but I’m not dissuaded. Guessing that’s more true for his sonnets than his fiction. Ordered Labyrinths for my queue. Thanks for the recommendation.
Ha. I'm going to have to order that one. I think that's the only book/collection of Wolfe's that I'm missing on the shelf.

I think I saw a reddit post from an Argentinian guy saying the same. He also said Borges is still great in English. I love him. Labyrinths is a good choice. One of my favorites is in there, The Circular Ruins.
[Reply]
Frosty 02:41 PM 03-30-2020
Originally Posted by Frosty:
If you like classic fantasy, I highly recommend Alec Hutson's The Reveling series, which starts with "The Crimson Queen". It's more old school fantasy with a few twists and an interesting magic system.

Another series that I've really enjoyed is M. D. Presley's Sol's Harvest series. It has a very unique magic system and the MC is a bit of an antihero but it is a very engrossing read. Unfortunately, I'm still waiting on the last book to come out but it sounds like it should be sometime this year.
Just a PSA but all three books of the Sol's Harvest series are currently 99 cents each for the next few days. Also, book 1 of The Raveling, The Crimson Queen, is also 99 cents, or you can buy the whole series for $9.99.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...oreType=ebooks

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...api_tkin_p1_i3

It's part of sale by fantasy authors to help people deal with Quarantine (a portion of the sales go to charities).

Other books on the sale that I've read and recommend is F.J. Blair's Bulletproof Witch series (I've read the first two and bought the third as part of this sale) which is flintlock fantasy set in the Old West and Jeffrey Russell's Blackfog Island which is book #2 of his Dungeoneers series, an absolutely hilarious series about a group of dwarves who hire themselves out as professional tomb raiders.
[Reply]
Page 51 of 62
« First < 414748495051 5253545561 > Last »
Up