ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 15 of 15
« First < 51112131415
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official 2024 STL Cardinals Thread ***
BigRedChief 08:39 AM 03-28-2024
I'll update the rosters and opening day lineup when its officially released.

2024 Opening Day roster.
Spoiler!

For the new Cardinal fans that joined the Planet since last year, here are some of the historical threads going back to 2006.
Spoiler!

[Reply]
scho63 10:54 AM Today
From first to worst.

Pirates are your saviours to keep you out of the cellar.
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 11:48 AM Today
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
Can someone explain to me how MLB got itself into a scenario where its a total pain in the ass for most people to access their product without spending a fortune?

The Cardinals' popularity came from a massive radio audience across the Midwest and center western US.

The Cubs gained popularity even when terrible being on WGN all over the country.

The Braves had TBS.

Now its a ****ing pain in the ass to figure out how to get access unless you want to devote yourself to Direct TV or buy a streaming service just to watch the games. Its insane.
One of many reasons baseball is losing popularity. You also could watch them on local TV at one point. Fox Sports Midwest was at least somewhat accessible when they took it away from local broadcast. Now it’s a complete pain to watch games.

Meanwhile you can watch most Chiefs game on local TV or accessible networks (other than the bullshit 1 off streaming game a year. Fuck that) all across the Midwest including all of Missouri both ends of the state.
[Reply]
oldandslow 11:53 AM Today
Originally Posted by Pasta Little Brioni:
One of many reasons baseball is losing popularity. You also could watch them on local TV at one point. Fox Sports Midwest was at least somewhat accessible when they took it away from local broadcast. Now it’s a complete pain to watch games.

Meanwhile you can watch most Chiefs game on local TV or accessible networks (other than the bullshit 1 off streaming game a year. **** that) all across the Midwest including all of Missouri both ends of the state.
Honestly, I think this is one of BB largest problems. The access to the product is becoming darn near impossible.

I would just as soon the Cards would stream every game (no blackouts) and then I would buy it. Simple.
[Reply]
Marcellus 11:58 AM Today
Originally Posted by Pasta Little Brioni:

Meanwhile you can watch most Chiefs game on local TV or accessible networks (other than the bullshit 1 off streaming game a year. **** that) all across the Midwest including all of Missouri both ends of the state.
Who thought this was a great business model? Its insanity.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 12:11 PM Today
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
Who thought this was a great business model? Its insanity.
Nobody.

Bally Sports got bought by Sinclair Media and Sinclair promptly drove it into a MFing mountain.

This was wholly a product of the Fox Sport group getting purchased and parted out. And I don't imagine MLB expected that to happen. The Regional Sports Networks were a perfect solution for baseball - baseball is largely a regional sport. The teams get followed by their local fanbase but it hasn't generated a true 'national' market for probably 50 years. There are just too damn many games played for folks to care about any single game on a Thursday where they don't have a rooting interest.

But the RSNs addressed that perfectly and brought a level of access that was largely unprecedented. What we have now is somehow STILL better than what we had in, say, 1997. But it's certainly a roll-back of 25 years of progress on that front.

It's a mess. But at least as it relates to this specific mess, I'm not positive there was anything else that MLB could've done.
[Reply]
Marcellus 12:30 PM Today
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Nobody.

Bally Sports got bought by Sinclair Media and Sinclair promptly drove it into a MFing mountain.

This was wholly a product of the Fox Sport group getting purchased and parted out. And I don't imagine MLB expected that to happen. The Regional Sports Networks were a perfect solution for baseball - baseball is largely a regional sport. The teams get followed by their local fanbase but it hasn't generated a true 'national' market for probably 50 years. There are just too damn many games played for folks to care about any single game on a Thursday where they don't have a rooting interest.

But the RSNs addressed that perfectly and brought a level of access that was largely unprecedented. What we have now is somehow STILL better than what we had in, say, 1997. But it's certainly a roll-back of 25 years of progress on that front.

It's a mess. But at least as it relates to this specific mess, I'm not positive there was anything else that MLB could've done.
I've never in my life had a problem accessing Cards games until FSMW got parceled off.

RSN were available on all cable and satellite platforms (before there even was streaming) since I started watching the Cards in 1995 or 96'. Most cable packages it was standard programming back in the day.

What I don't understand is how Bally or Sinclair or whoever owns the rights to the team's games doesn't seem to understand that accessibility is how they make money rather than continually feuding with service providers.
[Reply]
Page 15 of 15
« First < 51112131415
Up